PDA

View Full Version : Rossi M92 or Chiappa 92?

road kill
09-07-2015, 10:14 AM
I am thinking about picking up a nice 357 mag lever model 92, the two i've been looking at are the Rossi and Chiappa. The Henry is nice but a tad on the heavy side. Any thoughts or actual experiences with them would be appreciated. Not interested in mares legs either, looks kind of useless. Marlin??? haven't had much to do with them since Rem took over. Not going to rush out and buy one tomorrow, got all fall and winter to look around.

Petamocto
09-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Nothing wrong with either. Henry and Winchester seem to be the gold standards.

Chiappa has come up with some very expensive editions at Wanstalls, and their first run was met with controversy as people were getting pitted from the factory $1500 guns.

Things seem to be resolved now.

I said the same thing about the Henry being too heavy, whis is too bad because they're very well built. I'm all for something feeling dense and beefy, but they seem to go beyond that into "Okay now this is crazy" territory.

I ended up getting a Winchester 94 16" trapper, but they're all used obviously, and you have to be at the right place when they come up.

Out of the two you're suggesting, I'd go with the Rossi and not worry about babying it. The reviews on it are good enough for what it costs.

Foxer
09-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Rossi makes a pretty good gun, but the thing is the latest models have sometimes come just a little 'rough' from the factories. That has lead SOME of them to have some minor feed issues or not be quite as smooth as they should be. Now - the thing is they clean up just fine and are excellent guns (i have two).

Steve at steve's guns sells a dvd and a kit to significantly improve the rossi's performance and make sure it's clean and fast. He's the "guru" for rossi's in the states.

The chiappas tend to be a little more well finished out of the box. And generally they work just fine. The sights tend to be a little better, depends a little on the model.

So. If I were buying new for the first time, honestly to get the best gun of the two at the best price I would buy a Rossi, and then i would either do the steve's upgrade myself or i would drop 200 bucks on a good gunsmith who does cowboy western stuff (there's one here in bc who's quite good) and have them really polish it and clean it up and drop new springs in. (i might drop 100 bucks on new sights too but that's optional and applies to either gun), That would STILL cost you less than the Chiappa, and now you've got a 'custom finished' gun that is pretty much guaranteed to be smooth like butter and function perfectly, better than either of the two out of the box. Nice crisp trigger, good lever action for speed, doesn't mess your brass up.

Oh - btw - the 357 should feed 38 special just fine and that makes it a nice option for having some cheaper ammo to play or practice with, not to mention if you're letting a smaller stature shooter or first time shooter play with the gun.

Mark-II
09-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Chiappa is known for producing some real dodgy junk.

Yet ppl seem to like their lever guns and shotguns.

I think I would be much more comfortable purchasing a miroku Winchester if spending north of a grand.

I did buy a Rossi from a member here and it is a nice little carbine. It already had action work done. I'm close to finding a load that it likes too.

The Henry is VERY heavy to pick up, especially if you've just handled a 92. I guess brass is their thing, but it definitely comes at a cost.
The lack of an automatic ejector on the Henry means the brass drops at your feet. A 92 will fling it straight up, possibly at your head. Lol

road kill
09-08-2015, 06:19 AM
The Henry looks to be a little more costly as well. I may have to talk the BIL into loaning me his 357 lever gun to test a bit, not sure of the make but he did say it was a 92.

Foxer
09-08-2015, 08:01 AM
The Henry looks to be a little more costly as well. The problem for me is that it's front loading - you can't just load it from the side, you have to unscrew the mag well and drop rounds in and screw it back together, and that really limits the usefulness in my books. I have a henry mares leg in 22lr - it is considerably heavier than my other regular mares leg and even my 16 inch carbine 92 doesn't weight that much, or is pretty close.

kennymo
09-08-2015, 09:15 AM
I'm not crazy about the front tube load on my Henry either, it'll probably eventually get traded away solely for that reason, it's a nice gun otherwise...
Of course, if you're looking for a pistol caliber lever action, there's always the ultimate revolver/rifle combo, the 500 S&W and this bad boy: http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?17789-Big-Horn-Model-89-WANT!

lone-wolf
09-08-2015, 11:13 AM
front loading is good... for rimfires...

There are JM Marlins kicking around still, I like the receiver design.