PDA

View Full Version : My First Rifle - Mosin Nagant!

Garetsu
06-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Ahoy, all.

So, I FINALLY got to take my Mosin out for a test spin, and, so far so good! I didn't have a camera at the range there with me, so I only have one bad picture of my brother taking a shot from my cell, but.. Thats ok. I took a bunch of pics at home here to show off my wood :-P

It's a 91/30, built at Izhevsk in 1931. All matching serial numbers (Bolt, receiver, magazine floor plate, butt plate). Only thing that didn't match was the bayonet, but, I'm not too worried about that. The bore is still nice and shiny, only one tiny little patch of rust, but it's so small it's hard to even find the damn spot. The stock isn't numbered, has a few tiny dings in it, but all in all it looks pretty damn good.

I took 5 quick shots with it over at a friends farm prior to going to the range (we had no targets, so I just fired them into a hillside), and I felt the recoil was very manageable, way less then what I was expecting! After 5 shots, I didn't feel a thing in my shoulder! Then when we went to the range I did all my shots from a bench, and it felt a lot different, the kick felt a lot worse, and my shoulder felt like it took a beating. I must have been holding it wrong on the bench or something, because I ended up needing to fire my last 4 shots from my left shoulder because my right shoulder hurt too much to use! (I only fired about 13 shots in total).

Everyone else who shot it that day had bruised shoulders as well, so.. Who knows! Maybe we're just not broken in, yet :-P

Anyone else run into the same situation? Or better yet, is a screw-on rubber butt-pad a good investment? XD

As far as accuracy goes, I was impressed. To be fair, it wasn't very good, but between my lack of experience and the rifle having it's own quirks that I don't quite know yet, I think we did pretty well. Most of our shots were taken out at a 100 yards, and a 2nd target out at 180. Most of our shots on the 100 yard target hit on paper, but were all a bit right (we only had cheap binoculars for spotting, so we had no idea where we were hitting until we were all done). We didn't have any issues with it shooting high, like I've read for most Mosin Nagants and how they shoot around 16" high at 100 yards.

I did have one little panic when I was looking at the target, some of the shots were keyhole-ing through, I was really worried I had a faulty Mosin, but, then I noticed there was some dirt/grass peppered around those holes, so they must of grazed the 50 yard berm and got knocked off balance. Oh, I should note that I went to the Waterford Sportsmans Club, and the way their outdoor range is set up is each distance has a 1m high berm of dirt at 25y, 50y, 100y, and 180y ranges. Because of how the line is set up, some of the lines are partially obstructed by the berm in front. We actually had a target out at 50y, but didn't realize until after that we set it, we couldn't see it from the firing line.

On the 180 yard target, well... The only holes were from the staples, haha. I actually have no idea where the shots went out at 180, there was no report from the bullet impact in the berm.

The 25 yard target we shot up with my .22, then my cousin wanted to take a shot with the Mosin at it. At that point I still thought my Mosin was shooting high, so I told him to aim around a foot and a half low, he ended up just covering the target in dirt from shooting up the ground, hah, but he did get a few shots on paper.

I tried to get a fancy picture of the bore but holding the rifle in one hand up to a light and aiming my 7 year old camera down the barrel was quite a pain, so.. Enjoy some black pics with a little bit of light in the centre.

So, final conclusion.. I need to get out and shoot more, and I need a recoil reducing butt-pad to save my shoulder some pain!

I uploaded all my pics to Imgur:

http://imgur.com/a/zG3jd#0

RobSmith
06-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Shooting off the bench always leads to more felt recoil, you feet aren't planted so the energy has nowhere to go ... ;)

Nice 91/30 (not 91/31). Don't worry too much about not being able to hit anything at first, it always depends of what ammo you are using and your own eye and such. You'll figure out where your point of aim should be once you put some rounds at closer ranges. Since she was shooting right for you, I'm guessing all your rounds sailed way right at longer ranges, since errors are magnified with distance.

Garetsu
06-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Whoops, haha, mis-typed that. :-P

And, good to know, if I'm going to shoot that off the bench, which I probably will, I'll definitely need to get a recoil pad for it...

alphasixtwo
07-02-2012, 06:08 PM
I have been toying with the idea of buying a moisin 91/30. Looks like a fun rifle to shoot. I have one question, what is the cost of ammo like?

Garetsu
07-02-2012, 07:13 PM
I've had fun with it so far!

Ammo is not too terrible, I picked up a case of 440 for $140 + Shipping from a guy off CGN, in the end it came to $0.36 a round for surplus corrosive. Or, over on CanadaAmmo they're selling some cheap non-corrosive factory ammo for $12 or $13 for a box of 20, which isn't bad at all if you buy $100+ for their free shipping!

Lee Enfield
07-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Personally being older than dirt my son purchased me a Past shoulder pad. Rather than mess with the originality of a rifle I use it when shooting most rifles larger than .223. It is amazing not expenisve and should last past my lifetime.
I never like to see a fine military gun messed with, and seeing as I do all my shooting from a bench the shoulder pad is for me the way to go.

Just remember to clean it over and over if you are using corrosive ammo. It takes a bit of work but worthwhile to keep corrosion at bay. In reality it is impossible to clean it too much.

jfred
07-03-2012, 04:36 AM
"I took a bunch of pics at home here to show off my wood :-P"

Lol.

But anyways, good choice on your first purchase. Nice and cheap, with inexpensive ammo to boot. I don't fuss near as much about cleaning my Mosin after shooting corrosive compared to my SKS. The Mosin is simpler to clean because there's no gas system. Just remove the bolt, dunk it in boiling water for a bit, then remove the stock, and pour boiling water down the bore. Done. :) Then just clean and oil as normal.

To cope with the recoil I just bought a cheapo slip on recoil pad from Crappy Tire. Doesn't help too much, but does make it slightly more pleasant to shoot, not that the Mosin is very vicious to fire anyways. It's just that darn steel buttplate. :)

Baker
07-03-2012, 09:54 AM
All this mosin talk makes me want to get one. I think I might hold off on the Norc M14, and get one of these puppies after a .22lr.

Rory McCanuck
07-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Sorry to miss this the first time through.
Nice looking rifle you have there, Garetsu.

Shooting from a bench will always give you more felt recoil. Your backside
is firmly planted and won't roll with it. When you are standing, your whole
body will rock back a bit, absorbing the recoil over more time and area.
That makes it feel much less punishing.

I also have a Past pad that goes on my shoulder, like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009TRNRK
and I quite often roll
up a little hand towel to tuck in behind it. Looks a bit funny, but I can
shoot a whole bunch more before I start getting tired of the recoil.
There is no point punishing yourself with hard recoiling rifles just to
develop a flinch. Practice is good, so long as you don't learn bad habits.

Garetsu
07-04-2012, 09:42 AM
All this mosin talk makes me want to get one. I think I might hold off on the Norc M14, and get one of these puppies after a .22lr.

I'm thinking a norc M14 will be my 4th, after a tacticool shotgun, haha! Then #5 will be something useful, like a Benelli Supernova with 28" barrel.

As far as recoil reduction I'll be looking into those Past shoulder pads, will save be buying a pad for every rifle I buy. Damn these bone-y shoulders! Well, that in combination with the steel buttplate...

That's one thing I love about the Mosin, cleaning it is a breeze! It doesn't take long at all, and it's easy to do a good thorough job at it. But, with that being said, I think once I'm out of the corrosive ammo, I'll only be buying non-corrosive, saves me from the chance of doing something wrong and risking some rust. Sure it's a wee bit more expensive, but, it's definitely worth it to keep the rifle in better condition, plus I'm sure accuracy will improve with newer ammunition.

Man, spending time of these forums really wants me to get out and shoot... I need to find a more convenient place to go that's close by (And doesn't charge $600+ for a membership >_>)

There is no point punishing yourself with hard recoiling rifles just to
develop a flinch. Practice is good, so long as you don't learn bad habits.

Yeah, that's for sure! That's the main reason why I went out and bought a .22, so I don't get into bad habits on the Mosin. I think once I get some recoil reduction I'll be alright with it on the bench, though, even just a little bit of cushion would be amazing!

52TulaSKS
07-04-2012, 07:54 PM
The recoil on a Mosin is bad when you first shoot it, but you'll get used to it soon enough and eventually won't even notice it. Is your bolt fairly smooth or really clunky?

westislandrifle
07-05-2012, 06:54 AM
mosin nagant was the first rifle i ever owned i bought it from an old man at a garage sale for 30$ got home and registered it i later traded for a huskavarna 30-06. and now i kinda miss her

westislandrifle
07-05-2012, 07:00 AM
mosin nagant was the first rifle i ever owned i bought it from an old man at a garage sale for 30$ got home and registered it i later traded for a huskavarna 30-06. and now i kinda miss her

Garetsu
07-05-2012, 09:24 AM
The recoil on a Mosin is bad when you first shoot it, but you'll get used to it soon enough and eventually won't even notice it. Is your bolt fairly smooth or really clunky?

I don't know how my bolt compares to other Mosin's, but I think it's pretty smooth. It's a wee bit clunky to cycle the bolt from the shoulder, but cycling otherwise there's no issues at all. It doesn't suffer from a lot of the issues I've read other bolts having, like being really sticky when loading rounds into the chamber, or being extremely stiff to lock down.

Also, westislandrifle, $30 for a Mosin? That's a rare find :-P At least these days you can still pick one up for a good price. The best non-sale price I've seen is from Triggers and Bows (Small store in Brantford, ON), which runs them for $150, but I bet you could still find cheaper!

Rory McCanuck
07-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Sure it's a wee bit more expensive, but, it's definitely worth it to keep the rifle in better condition, plus I'm sure accuracy will improve with newer ammunition.

With factory S&B 180gr I was doing well to hit a pie plate
9 times in ten from the hood of the truck at 100 yards.
Surplus was worse, and I wasn't really impressed, figuring
I got about $169 worth of rifle.
Then I started reloading.

$100 Lee Anniversary kit( on sale at Christmas), $35 for dies.
$30 for 100 bullets, $30 for a pound of powder, $4/100 primers.
Granted, it took a bit of playing around to find a really good load,
but it was fun, and only a $200 investment.

Now, 1" at 50 yds is pretty regular (I find I can shoot better when
I can actually see the target), and I have fun shooting it.
Townsend Whelen was right, only accurate guns are interesting.

P.S. I make it sound like it only costs $200 to reload. That will
get you started, and make some pretty good ammo. After that,
you start finding things you might like better, and you start adding
to the reloading room. It becomes its own hobby that is every bit
as much fun as "emptying brass" :D

Garetsu
07-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Ahh, well, then, I don't feel so bad about my accuracy at 100 yards, I'll just blame the ammo :-P

The cost of buying everything to get started in reloading is cheaper then I thought, and it is definitely something I've been looking into doing... Once I do get some reloadable brass I'll be hanging onto it for sure until I can get a reloading room set up! Not sure where I'd put it at the moment. Maybe take over the kitchen table, haha!

I think reloading is the type of thing I could really get into, between saving a bit of money, and getting far superior ammo quality, I think I'd enjoy it. Especially once I start expanding my collection, and get some .223 and .308's in there, it'll be nice to not buy factory ammo all the time!

Baker
07-06-2012, 09:03 AM
I know it's not the 7.62x54r, but I saw on CanadaAmmo (https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/379/norinco-223-remington-5-56x45mm-ammunition/) about the Norc brass cased .223, they say is reloadable, so if you do end up doing .223 that'd be something to look at (600 bucks for 1,600 rounds). They don't have it in stock yet though.

Garetsu
07-06-2012, 09:47 AM
I was actually looking at that! If I had the money when they had it in stock I would have grabbed both a case of norc .223 and .308, great deals! I always seem to see the good deals right after I spend money, or right before I'll have money... Maybe I'll luck out one of these days :-P Either way, buying in bulk like that is definitely the way I'll go!

road kill
07-06-2012, 09:55 AM
If you like soviet rifles then maybe look at the sks 7.62x39, cheap and a lot of fun. It`s the only semi auto center fire i have at the moment and the grandkids and son have a riot with it out in the pasture.

Garetsu
07-06-2012, 12:17 PM
I've seriously looked at an SKS for a cheap semi-auto, but I'm still on the fence about them... There is a ton of accessories for them, but I'd probably want to leave it stock, wouldn't want to mess with that look! I might pick one up (Instead of a M305, maybe), I'm still thinking about it...

If I did, though, then I would have to get a Tokarev as well, then I'd have the 7.62 Russian family! x25, x39, and x54, haha!

road kill
07-07-2012, 06:26 AM
That is one problem with firearms, one is never enough. ;) Kind of like a good disease, maybe call it hoarding, you need to keep on getting more.

Garetsu
07-10-2012, 02:40 PM
So true!

When I started talking about getting my PAL my Wife said she only wanted me having 3 or so firearms, and at the time I thought, "Sure, a bolt-action rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun of some kind. I can live with that."

Well, by the time my PAL came in I had a list of probably 10 or 15 'must-haves', I already own 2 bolt-actions, I'm ordering a pump-action 12 gauge within the next week, and I'm planning what my next purchase will be, haha! There's no stopping it now!

52TulaSKS
07-11-2012, 10:01 PM
I've seriously looked at an SKS for a cheap semi-auto, but I'm still on the fence about them... There is a ton of accessories for them, but I'd probably want to leave it stock, wouldn't want to mess with that look! I might pick one up (Instead of a M305, maybe), I'm still thinking about it...

If I did, though, then I would have to get a Tokarev as well, then I'd have the 7.62 Russian family! x25, x39, and x54, haha!

Yeah a TT33 is on my list of guns to get. I have a 91/30, SKS and SVT and that'll complete the core of the collection. An M44 and a Mosin Sniper repro from Westrifle will finish it off. :D

Don't forget the Nagant revolver in x38R as well!

webster
09-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Nice wood on that Mosin. Great choice for a first rifle, how's she treating you? I also find the steel buttplate tough on an unpadded (read: bony) shoulder after a dozen or so rounds, so I picked up a Browning Reactar shoulder pad the other day. It's just a thin little pad that you could even wear under clothing. I loved my Mosin when it banged me up, now it's a pleasure to shoot. The reduction in felt recoil has tightened up my groups too. I'm seriously considering taking it out deer hunting this year. It kills registration certificates pretty well. ;)

50 yards:
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc384/webster5050/Gun%20pics/Mosin%20Nagant/DSCN1230_zps540ab5bb.jpg

After a good cleaning:
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc384/webster5050/Gun%20pics/Mosin%20Nagant/DSCN1221_zps3a2d3c1a.jpg

Baker
09-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Easily one of the best targets I've ever saw lol.

Garetsu
09-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Haha, I give you two thumbs up for the choice of target, sir!

I haven't taken her out since the start of this thread to shoot paper! I went up north with it, but didn't bring anything to stick my paper targets to, so, no good for seeing groups.

Nice wood on that Mosin. Great choice for a first rifle, how's she treating you? I also find the steel buttplate tough on an unpadded (read: bony) shoulder after a dozen or so rounds, so I picked up a Browning Reactar shoulder pad the other day.

Funny that you mention that, 'cause I picked up a Reactar pad about a week ago... Still haven't had a chance to try it out, yet. Good to hear it makes a big difference! I was a wee bit worried at it being so thin... I'm hoping to go out with it to my friend's farm to get some shots on paper sometime soon, I'll post up my amazing (or not) results whenever that happens. :-P Won't be as good as your groups, I can pretty well guarantee (I'm not that good of a shot... yet :-P), but it'll be much better then my last grouping (measured in feet.) XD Oh, plus I did the trigger job on her, according to the "Squeezing the accuracy out of the M91/30" thread here. So, it'll be good to finally see how that affects shots on paper.

RobSmith
09-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Patiently waiting for the day I'm finally allowed to do just that to my own Federally-issued registration certificates while a Provincial matter goes thru the courts.

[QUOTE=webster;35250]50 yards:
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc384/webster5050/Gun%20pics/Mosin%20Nagant/DSCN1230_zps540ab5bb.jpg

webster
09-24-2012, 08:31 PM
I did the trigger job on her, according to the "Squeezing the accuracy out of the M91/30" thread here. So, it'll be good to finally see how that affects shots on paper.

I'll be interested to see how that works too. Keep us posted. :)

Patiently waiting for the day I'm finally allowed to do just that to my own Federally-issued registration certificates while a Provincial matter goes thru the courts.

Still can't believe that whole mess. I'll save one of mine to shoot up once the whole country can take part.

Billythreefeathers
12-10-2012, 05:54 PM
So true!

When I started talking about getting my PAL my Wife said she only wanted me having 3 or so firearms, and at the time I thought, "Sure, a bolt-action rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun of some kind. I can live with that."

Well, by the time my PAL came in I had a list of probably 10 or 15 'must-haves', I already own 2 bolt-actions, I'm ordering a pump-action 12 gauge within the next week, and I'm planning what my next purchase will be, haha! There's no stopping it now!

That's how it works,, my next purchase is another gun locker,,

Garetsu
01-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Whoops, I forgot to update this, haha!

Once I get home tonight I'll post the pics and what-not from my last range trip with the Mosin.

Between the Reactar recoil pad (best $40 I ever spent), and the quick trigger job, it was beautiful to shoot! I moved the target up from 100 meters to 50 this time, too, figured I should not stretch out so much while I'm still in my noob phase. I took a decent group with me to the range (4 others), and I only had 60 rounds, so, didn't get too much trigger time. I'm hoping to get some more time on it this winter. I was happy with my results, though. 8 shots on paper, 2 misses while standing (about what I expected).

Definitely need a lot more practice, haha, and I don't get out to the range nearly as much as I'd like to.

Satain
01-02-2013, 09:29 PM
I had the sniper version of this rifle and did like it. Although on white tail deers it's WAY to powerful at close range with soft tip bulets. Instant hambuger patty.

sDot
01-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Great gun, I'd say its one of my favorites. I think everyone needs at least one..