PDA

View Full Version : 132 Year Old Winchester Rifle Found in Nevada Under A Tree !!

3MTA3
09-12-2015, 06:57 PM
I heard about this a while back - cool find- ( i did not see any threads about it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkboM5FBAd0

BuckingFastard
09-12-2015, 08:22 PM
Considering how long it could of been in the elements for its in damn good shape, thanks for posting

kennymo
09-12-2015, 08:27 PM
There was an article posted on this very rifle earlier this year, IIRC. Gotta wonder how and when it wound up there, back when that thing was new it would've been someone's prized possession no doubt.

BuckingFastard
09-12-2015, 09:10 PM
You'd be surprised how many rifles are put down against a tree and lost. I read a post last year in Alberta outdoors man where a guy found a rifle leaning again a tree. Only thing I've ever lost in the bush was a hat, now that hat meant a lot to me as it was my grandfathers. I filled three tags that day, antlered mule and antlered whitetail and antlered moose. I took the beaver pelt hat off my head cause I was hot carrying quarters out of the bush, never seen the hat again and since then I'm lucky to fill three tags a season let alone one day

kennymo
09-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Well I've been lucky with hats so far, the only thing I recall losing that I honestly miss is my very first pocket knife grandad gave me when I turned five. Just a cheap little lockback, but I sure wish I still had that one.... We have turned up odd things in the woods from time to time though. The most curious wasn't even found by my crowd, a friend of the uncle's turned up a pair of vintage chainsaws deep in the woods. Put down side by side like the owners stopped for coffee and never returned. Not sure quite how old they were, 1950's perhaps? Big heavy steel beasts at any rate, I imagine someone might've found themselves unemployed after that mishap.....

Laramie Longhorn
09-13-2015, 06:15 AM
Yeah. a buddy of mine found a rifle. The rifle was junk, but it had a Bushnell scope. He sent it to Bushnell, and got sent a letter that for $50 they would send him the equivalent modern scope. So he got a 4-12x50mm Elite series.

C3H8
09-21-2015, 08:17 PM
Don't lean your camo shotgun up against a tree or lay it on the ground in a duck blind near dark. Just sayin'

Gunexpert007
09-22-2015, 07:18 AM
The Winchester Levers take a lickin , but keep on a ticking . A family member found an old Lee Enfield rifle hanging in a tree many years ago....we figured a poacher had probably left it there when the Rangers were seen in the area . I have heard many stories about firearms falling into rivers and lakes over the years when canoes have tipped over ; and the firearms were never recovered.....

Edenchef
09-22-2015, 11:58 AM
I have heard many stories about firearms falling into rivers and lakes over the years when canoes have tipped over ; and the firearms were never recovered.....

Heck, Mike from Canmore has been doing this for years. Never get in a canoe with Mike.

kennymo
09-22-2015, 01:26 PM
The Winchester Levers take a lickin , but keep on a ticking . A family member found an old Lee Enfield rifle hanging in a tree many years ago....we figured a poacher had probably left it there when the Rangers were seen in the area . I have heard many stories about firearms falling into rivers and lakes over the years when canoes have tipped over ; and the firearms were never recovered.....

On that theme my uncle has a Winchester 94 chambered for .32 Winchester that HIS uncle lost out of an overturned boat on Lake Winnipeg while en route to a moose hunting camp. Two years later they managed to dredge it back up, for some reason forgotten by me, the original octagon barrel was damaged in the accident. They shipped it off to a gunsmith in Winnipeg who rebarreled it to round and it's still ticking....1930's vintage IIRC. Well, at least on the receiver and stock....

Marcel
09-25-2015, 01:11 PM
Sure would like to know the history behind that OP rifle!

Lee Enfield
09-28-2015, 08:46 PM
Back in the 60's I saw a old Winchester lever that was found in a tree in the Maple Creek SK. area. The thought was it was put there during a burial in winter along with the body of the owner as it was impossible to dig a grave in frozen ground??

It was in pretty rough shape and had been exposed to the elements for decades.

Have no idea the actual facts other than I knew the guy that had it and believed the story of where he found it.