PDA

View Full Version : Cold Bluing ?

shadowwarrior
09-13-2015, 04:29 PM
I recently tried some cold bluing on a friends Winchester model 94 to fix a few not so nice spots. The barrel turned out well but the receiver ended up kind of splotchy on the colours and then seemed to get some rust coming through. Is it possible that oil has soaked into the steel of the receiver causing the bluing not to take evenly? I've degreased with brakekleen and the degreser supplied with the Outers kit, and tried the G96 creme blue as well and the outcome is always the same. I don't understand how it could screw up the same with 2 different kinds of bluing any help would be appreciated since I don't really want to try hot bluing.

Edenchef
09-13-2015, 04:42 PM
Two different types of steel?

lone-wolf
09-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Two different types of steel?

Yea, same thing happened to me too. many coats and ultrafine steel wool eventually did the trick but maybe completely removing the old bluing is required?

shadowwarrior
09-13-2015, 06:31 PM
Guess I'm going to try again. Thanks.

zulu
09-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Wait a minute... You did take the metal to the white first right?

shadowwarrior
09-13-2015, 08:35 PM
Yes I did Zulu but every time I applied the bluing to the receiver it came out splotchy.

Rory McCanuck
09-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Is it a post '64 Winchester?
The 'bluing' on them varies from ho-hum to outright shamefull, I think it may have something to do with the metal involved. Lone-wolf probably has the best suggestion, rather than trying to get the finish all in one go, try several lighter coats.

Justice
09-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Shouldn't be any need to take the metal to the white first. It's because of the type of steel used in the receiver, like Edenchef says.
You could try polishing the receiver a bit.

DanN
09-14-2015, 10:32 AM
I stripped and cold-blued (Birchwood Casey) my Dad's old Ithaca 37 12ga. After several coats the barrel came out beautifully, but the receiver was blotchy. I used the exact same process on both parts, so I expect the receiver may be a slightly different alloy. I could never get them to match.. so I decided that the receiver just had that "hand worn" look to it. Still pretty proud of how it came out.

RobertMcC
09-14-2015, 11:22 AM
I found warming up the bare steel with a hair dryer yielded better results..

50 B.M.G.
09-14-2015, 03:34 PM
The older Winchesters used a high nickle content steel in their receivers, which does NOT take cold blueing well if at all.
Heating it may help a little but do not be surprised if you get a plum color.

soopercooper
09-15-2015, 11:19 AM
Is it a post '64 Winchester?
The 'bluing' on them varies from ho-hum to outright shamefull, I think it may have something to do with the metal involved. Lone-wolf probably has the best suggestion, rather than trying to get the finish all in one go, try several lighter coats.

Cold blue is basically not much more than paint when compared to hot which alters the metal. Mind You on a small amount of more basic steel composites cold will get by if not a high traffic area. Post 64 receivers IIRC used a two part process of hot bluing. If I remember the first part turned it a sort of orange color then it could be blued. That is a good part of the reason your job is splotchy. It's having different reactions depending on whether it's contacting bare, blue, or the orange step. I know. I too wish like he11 I could remember the process name. SORRY. I do know I have seen more come out looking like mopar's "plum crazy purple" than blue,,,,,,Oh and splotchy