PDA

View Full Version : Scout Rifle

alphasixtwo
06-19-2012, 08:16 PM
So I am looking to build a scout rifle rig. It will be used mostly for hunting/target shooting and looking pretty. I was wondering if people here had any knowledge to share. I know my rifle will have to have a barrel length a tad longer then the 16" it calls for. However I believe I can still keep the weight under 7.7 LBS even with a 18.5" to 20" barrel.

For those that are not familiar with a "scout rifle" here are the specs it is supposed to fit in.
Barrel Length 16" approx
weight of platform unloaded 7.7lbs
bolt action
30 Caliber or higher with .308 or 30-06 being the more common selections
glass should have a high FOV as well as be mechanical with a 2x power (3x is considered acceptible but not ideal)
Stock length variable baed on shooter to allow proper pull and allow as much FOV as possible

I am wondering if any one has built one and if it is possible to make certain subs and it still be feasible. Basicaly the important sub here is rifle type. Between a bolt action or semi auto. If any one has ideas on rifles I could use for the build that would be awesome. I have looked at both the Ruger Scout(love the feel) and the M14. Other then that I have not looked at any others. I know the purpose of using the bolt action was for easy of maintence; however I will be hunting/target shooting with it. It will not be used for days at a time in harsh environment where I can't clean it regularly.

For the glass I have found both a Leoupold FX-II and a Burris 2.75X Scout. For those brands that was all they had in a scout style with a high field of view. Has anyone found one from a different maker they liked or tried out a lower power Eotech or other red dot?(I know not mechanical but again batteries wont really be an issue for me.)

Thanks all.

Mods if this is in the wrong thread please let me know and I will post it in the correct thread.

lone-wolf
06-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Easy to rebarrel a savage/stevens rifle.
Take a howa .308(or a remington), put a detachable magazine kit on it, and rebarrel it to 16"
I like my falcon 1.5-5x scope.

alphasixtwo
06-20-2012, 02:06 PM
I will look into that for sure. I am gonna keep the 18.5inch barrel though beacause if I am not mistake a 16" makes it restricted and you can't hunt with a restricted corrrect?

Haywire1
06-20-2012, 02:13 PM
if I am not mistake a 16" makes it restricted and you can't hunt with a restricted correct?
if the rifle is bolt action, then as long as the barrel was manufactured at that length, you're good to go, ie you can buy a 12 inch barrel, and put it on a bolt action, as long as your overall length is greater than 26 inches, it is perfectly legal. the kicker is, you cannot shorten it or have it shortened to less then 18.5 inches. you have to buy it at the short length. semi auto is 18.5 inches, regardless., this is why you can legally put an 8.5 inch barrel on a 12 ga pump, as long as the firearm is over 26 inches, is NOT semi auto, and the barrel was made at 8.5 inches long and not cut down. clear as mud?

alphasixtwo
06-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Haha I knew that too... I am just used to shooting semi's right now. How forgetful I can be sometimes. Thanks for the clarification.

jwirecom109
06-20-2012, 02:34 PM
if the rifle is bolt action, then as long as the barrel was manufactured at that length, you're good to go, ie you can buy a 12 inch barrel, and put it on a bolt action, as long as your overall length is greater than 26 inches, it is perfectly legal. the kicker is, you cannot shorten it or have it shortened to less then 18.5 inches. you have to buy it at the short length. semi auto is 18.5 inches, regardless., this is why you can legally put an 8.5 inch barrel on a 12 ga pump, as long as the firearm is over 26 inches, is NOT semi auto, and the barrel was made at 8.5 inches long and not cut down. clear as mud?

yes and no, some semi autos can have a barrel length shorter the 18.5 aswell as long as its a over all length of 26 or greater, and it was a non restricted to begin with.

EG the ruger 10/22

Haywire1
06-20-2012, 02:36 PM
:smash: I knew that too. Doh moment.

lone-wolf
06-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Yea, a nice semi-heavy 16" barrel bolt action with a detachable magazine would be killer. Maybe one of the browning bolt actions with the short 60 bolt rotation.

yes and no, some semi autos can have a barrel length shorter the 18.5 aswell as long as its a over all length of 26 or greater, and it was a non restricted to begin with.

EG the ruger 10/22
To sum it up.
All rimfire rifles, regardless of action type, have a min OAL of 26"
Barrel length does not matter.
Centerfire semi-auto rifles and shotguns have a min. barrel length of 18.5" + the min. OAL of 26"
All other centerfire action types have the min. OAL of 26"
Barrel length once again does not matter.

Should make a sticky.

superglide
10-18-2013, 12:03 AM
Check out what the folks at brass stacker did to a mosin m38 and m44, it is pretty bad ass if you like scout rifles.

Satain
10-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Check out what the folks at brass stacker did to a mosin m38 and m44, it is pretty bad ass if you like scout rifles.
:agree:
7.62x54R will take anything down in North America & as long as it's under 300 meters its down 4 sure.
M44 with an ATI stock and a scout mount. will come in under 7lbs with scope & mount plus stock. Plus it will cost half the price as a ruger scout rifle and/or savage's one.

Major Commander
10-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Buy A Hog Hunter and go for it; although no DBM .

Strewth
10-27-2013, 10:38 PM
:agree:
7.62x54R will take anything down in North America & as long as it's under 300 meters its down 4 sure.
M44 with an ATI stock and a scout mount. will come in under 7lbs with scope & mount plus stock. Plus it will cost half the price as a ruger scout rifle and/or savage's one.

Hmmm, M44 with Archangel, then you get detachable mags? Need a fancy forward scope mount too, if only someone was working on one for the Mosin platform...;)

Added bonus, bayonet.

Satain
10-28-2013, 11:37 AM
...Added bonus, bayonet.No doubt! What other scout rifle could you use to roast your catch ;)

Rory McCanuck
10-28-2013, 03:03 PM
No doubt! What other scout rifle could you use to roast your catch ;)
With an M-44, spit it on the bayonet, shoot once for rare, twice for med. rare etc.
Fireball Grilling ;D

Strewth
10-28-2013, 03:11 PM
With an M-44, spit it on the bayonet, shoot once for rare, twice for med. rare etc.
Fireball Grilling ;D

lol! ;)There's a grouse in this pic, it's just being cooked and air-plucked:)
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/N_-q8zaSIgY/hqdefault.jpg

TheTooner
11-19-2013, 10:50 AM
The simplest answer is the Savage 10FMC, with the Leupold or Burris scout scope.

Personally I favour the Weaver K4Scout because I am quite used to shooting with both eyes open and 4x or 6x magnification, so that's what is going on my project, and I am prone to doing things the hard way so instead of following my suggestion above, I got an XS Sights mount called the Clifton which is available for Lee Enfield No.1Mk.IIIs and for No.4 and 5 all marks, and I'm going to use a No.5 rifle because I am already invested in the .303British and it will give me a ten round magazine capacity and the use of stripper clips.

(I have the rifle and I am not ruining it - under previous ownership it was drilled and tapped and lost its bayonet lug.)

Strewth
11-19-2013, 11:21 AM
^Interesting! Nice choice of rifle to scout out! Pity about the bayo lug...I don't suppose you have the now useless bayonet and want to sell it for cheap:p...