PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a Savage 16/116 FCSS/FHSS Weather Warrior in 30-06?

Josh J
06-21-2012, 07:19 AM
I'm looking into picking one of these rifles up, and I'm just wondering what all your thoughts are on this rifle, as well as wether I should go for the FCSS (box mag) or the FHSS (hinged floorplate) model? Thanks!

Haywire1
06-21-2012, 08:48 AM
I dont own one of these, but in general, I always advocate a box mag over floorplates if available. First, it is faster to load/unload when hunting. I find floorplates tend to dump rounds all over if you're not careful, Second, pull the mag, open the bolt, you know its unloaded. I realize opening the floorplate and opening the bolt does the same, however you have the floorplate hanging down, and can forget about. I have seen people forget there open and bend or tear off the floorplate. Third, I think magazine rifles look better IMHO.

Wmd
06-27-2012, 10:48 AM
I have one in 300wsm with the hinge floor plate and love it so far. As far as the plate opening on its own I can't see it happening and you never have to worry about losing a 50.00 plus mag when in the middle of nowhere.

Haywire1
06-27-2012, 11:26 AM
never said it would open on its own, i said opening the floor plate can dump the rounds on the ground, should have added if you open it, ah well, bottom line, everyone is different, some prefer floor plates, some prefer mags. now you got a vote for each.

lone-wolf
06-27-2012, 11:35 AM
I prefer a box magazine when hunting.

I can't speak of the rifle either. It's an all weather Savage, I doubt you could go wrong.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
06-27-2012, 12:34 PM
If you're on the quad or truck hunting a box mag is much better IMO as you can slam it in the rifle quick, close the bolt done - you can throw a round in a hinge plate just as fast, but you are limited to one round unless you take the time to stack it - and we all know the time you have is usually about 3 seconds.

JustBen
06-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Savage makes a very good rifle. When you consider the price, they make an excellent rifle. However, I've never really liked the feel of the savage, and I no longer own any savage rifles. Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz.

For a hunting rifle, I have always preferred a hinged floor plate. Its one less thing to lose or forget at home. Yes, they are a little slower to load when you jump out of the truck, but the majority of my hunting is spot and stalk or setup and wait, so that point is moot for me. If you are in a real hurry when you try to load, sometimes you can't get a mag to seat right, or you index it wrong, and its pointed the wrong way.

But ultimately its your decision! Good luck!

Josh J
07-31-2012, 01:40 PM
I just posted the rifle that I ended up buying in another thread in this forum. I ended up getting the 116 with a box magazine. bashaw Sports had it in stock, so I was sold! Good deal. Thanks for the advice guys!

Rocket Surgery
08-02-2012, 12:39 AM
What kind of scope are you going to put on it? I'm going to get the 16 in 308 but I haven't decided what to put for optics, probably something a bit bigger than 3-9 because this will be my slash hunting gun (up to 500 yards)

Josh J
08-02-2012, 10:59 AM
What kind of scope are you going to put on it? I'm going to get the 16 in 308 but I haven't decided what to put for optics, probably something a bit bigger than 3-9 because this will be my slash hunting gun (up to 500 yards)

I threw a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 on there. nothing too fancy, seeing as most of my shots are going to be within 100 yards. I like what I am seeing with it so far. It seems to be a great scope for the $300 range, and I've heard nothing but good things about it. You can also get it in 4-12. if you upgrade to the Revenge, you can get it in 6-18x44.

Rocket Surgery
08-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Awesome, my dad is looking to get a rifle just like yours. He's a cranky russian and extremely fuddy, so he hates everything, but he did say that this gun fit his shoulder well and cycled naturally so he'll probably go with this over a Sako Finnlight. I keep telling him to go 308 so I can reload for him but he's gotta have that 30-06 because he knows how many cartridges will fit in the palm of his hand, or something fuddy like that. I've given up trying to reason with him all I can do is agree with him or endure asian father-like tongue lashings on the phone every night.

Josh J
08-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Awesome, my dad is looking to get a rifle just like yours. He's a cranky russian and extremely fuddy, so he hates everything, but he did say that this gun fit his shoulder well and cycled naturally so he'll probably go with this over a Sako Finnlight. I keep telling him to go 308 so I can reload for him but he's gotta have that 30-06 because he knows how many cartridges will fit in the palm of his hand, or something fuddy like that. I've given up trying to reason with him all I can do is agree with him or endure asian father-like tongue lashings on the phone every night.

That's awesome!

Heiner39
08-25-2012, 10:55 AM
I have a 30-06 Weather Warrior with a detachable mag and I really like. I've found it to be very picky with what bullet it will accurately shoot but now that I know that I stick with what works. Mine loves a 150 grain Hornady Interbonds. I get sub 1" accuracy with it. I have a Leupold VX-II on it and have no plans of changing guns anytime soon.

Xtreme
08-25-2012, 11:34 AM
3-9x40 will be just fine for that kind of shooting, for sure.