PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of a Browning X Bolt White Gold

Petamocto
09-30-2015, 04:18 PM
Hello everyone,

I love the look of a wood and stainless combo, and the two I love most are the Sake 85 Hunter and the Browning X Bolt White Gold.

I can't find the Sako I want for sale:

http://cdn.sako.fi/sites/default/files/85_hunter_stainless_0.png

But the Browning White Gold is at Cabela's in Barrie near me, with a $50 rebate as well:

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/img/model-name/Browning-X-Bolt-White-Gold-035235-43l.jpg

I know I can buy cheaper X Bolts in blued-on-black synthetic, and I know I can buy a Savage. As I wrote, I really want the stainless/wood look, and I'm willing to pay more to have some pride of ownership.

The reviews seem to be positive of it online, with great build quality, and a smooth action. I've got a silver Leupold VX3 that I'll be putting on top of it, to complete the look.

Any reason not to buy it?

lone-wolf
09-30-2015, 04:28 PM
I love my xbolt, 3shot groups an inch or better at 100yrds off a bipod prone. Might be normal for even a budget savage but it's a lot better looking with a quicker action.
I'd never talk someone outta one.
Mine is blued/wood - check the wood fit before buying, mine is a run of the mill xbolt, and the wood fitment isn't 100% perfect(no one notices - but I know) - I'd expect the white gold one to be perfect.

Swampdonkey
09-30-2015, 05:34 PM
Well-made gun, make sure it's comfortable on you. Browning stocks don't fit me well.

Get the BOSS if possible, or at least look into it.

C3H8
09-30-2015, 06:12 PM
That Sako action. Need I say more?

Petamocto
09-30-2015, 07:40 PM
I talked myself out of it, as soon as I saw it in person.

I was expecting the wood to be like my oil-rubbed BAR's rich colour, but the White Gold's wood is ridiculously shiny, like it has 20 coats of lacquer on it or something.

Looks terrible in person.

I'll miss the rebate, but it will be better for me to get a normal X Bolt stainless for $1000 or less, and get the stock I want for it.

The action was fine, but man I wish the wood looked like the BAR's wood.

Rory McCanuck
09-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Well, I'm certainly not the guy to talk you out of it.
Just put one of these on layaway today:

http://www.thecountryman.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x800/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/4/141009111720001-1.jpg

I've never been a fan of shiny, plastic looking Browning stock, and the laminate takes care of that.
Oh my, is it a comfortable thing to shoulder.

lone-wolf
09-30-2015, 08:36 PM
Rory did it, so now I can
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx313/redmudpei/random%20gun-bullet%20stuff/browningleupold_zps64krkjgj.jpg

Rory McCanuck
09-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Gosh, that looks sharp.
Bright, but doesn't look as glossy as the 'fancy' ones.

P.S. are those the Browning mount/ring things?

Petamocto
09-30-2015, 08:51 PM
..I've never been a fan of shiny, plastic looking Browning stock...

I didn't even know such a thing existed. My BAR's oil-rubbed wood was what I thought this was going to look like:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h143/SeanNewman/BAR_zpsf97453ea.jpg

I honestly couldn't believe it when I saw the White Gold on the wall. I had such high expectations driving to the store.

After I saw how stupid the glossy version looked, I almost wanted to say to the guy "Man, you screwed this up, I was ready to hand you $1500", but obviously I can't blame Cabela's counter dude for Browning's mistake.

Rory McCanuck
09-30-2015, 08:51 PM

http://www.homehardware.ca/products/300/16501811.jpg
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Paint-D%C3%A9cor/Surface-Preparation/Strippers/1L-Paint-and-Varnish-Remover/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I1650181?Ntt=Circa+1850

Kinda hurts to do that to a brand new, $1000+ gun, but then it's how you like it, and not like anyone else's.

Petamocto
09-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Yeah, very practical option, Rory, but I've just decided to go with a much cheaper option for this gun.

My "forever" gun will happen after this deer season.

lone-wolf
09-30-2015, 09:14 PM
P.S. are those the Browning mount/ring things?
Yep.

Rory McCanuck
09-30-2015, 10:44 PM
Yeah, very practical option, Rory, but I've just decided to go with a much cheaper option for this gun.

My "forever" gun will happen after this deer season.

Ooh, what have you decided on?

Swampdonkey
09-30-2015, 11:50 PM
I'm quite attracted to Browning wood with it's deep varnish. Looks like a classic speedboat.

Trigger Fingers
10-08-2015, 01:44 PM
I talked myself out of it, as soon as I saw it in person.

I was expecting the wood to be like my oil-rubbed BAR's rich colour, but the White Gold's wood is ridiculously shiny, like it has 20 coats of lacquer on it or something.

Looks terrible in person.

I'll miss the rebate, but it will be better for me to get a normal X Bolt stainless for $1000 or less, and get the stock I want for it.

Did you look at the Stainless Hunter? It has a satin finish which should be less glossy. The barrel is also matte vs polished. Based on this thread and the other one I started about the Sako 85 which you commented on... it seems we are going through the same thought process....

Petamocto
10-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Did you look at the Stainless Hunter? It has a satin finish which should be less glossy. The barrel is also matte vs polished. Based on this thread and the other one I started about the Sako 85 which you commented on... it seems we are going through the same thought process....

You must have ESP, because I was just about to post that I bought one. Epps had the Stainless Hunter "Shot Show" model in 30.06, so I bought it. The only thing that bothers me about it is the plastic mag. I'm not sure why Browning puts any plastic on a rifle worth over $1000. With my BAR it was the trigger guard and mag plate, but at least the mag itself was metal. With the X-Bolt the lower parts are metal, but the mag is plastic. Le sigh.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/img/model-name/Browning-X-Bolt-Stainless-Hunter-035233-3256l.jpg

I'm very excited to see what it looks like with my silver Leupold scope.

It turned out to be quite the undertaking to find the X-Lock rings in stainless/nickel, though. Several different calls chasing my tail with Epps, Cabela's, Browning, Talley, Prophet River, etc.

Anyone know of metal mags for the X-Bolt?

lone-wolf
10-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Should give the plastic ones a chance, they work well and I think they're more refined than just some ol stamped metal magazine

As the hunting gear guy says

The magazine itself is incredible. A high quality plastic rotary mag. It’s light weight, yet feels so sturdy you could run it over with a truck. And here’s a big plus over the Savage centerfeed: it accepts more than 2 wsm cartridges. In fact, it fits 3! I don’t blast away willy nilly at deer, but it makes a heck of a lot of sense to have a mag that fits more than 2 rounds. Carrying over the quality, the mag “snick”s into place and does not rattle at all when moving with the rifle. The release is firmly in place on the rifle, further reducing moving parts on the mag.

Plus I never heard of any aftermarket metal ones :p

Rory McCanuck
10-08-2015, 09:21 PM
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/img/model-name/Browning-X-Bolt-Stainless-Hunter-035233-3256l.jpg

I'm very excited to see what it looks like with my silver Leupold scope.

It turned out to be quite the undertaking to find the X-Lock rings in stainless/nickel, though. Several different calls chasing my tail with Epps, Cabela's, Browning, Talley, Prophet River, etc.

Anyone know of metal mags for the X-Bolt?
Blued rings might actually look good on there, to break up the 'whiteness' of it all.
Those are nice lines though, eh?

Petamocto
10-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Not so sure that black/blued rings would be the right way to go, because I like things to match. I've been proven wrong before, though.

Picked it up at Epps tonight. They were swamped with people, but as usual they were very helpful. My 5yo son was with me and was being very patient, so when we got to the counter I asked him if he'd like to hold a gun made for him, and asked Epps for a Savage Rascal. He handled it for a couple minutes and had a huge grin on his face, so we left with that, too.

They also gave us a free Epps hat, and he picked a half camo/orange one...future red neck!

kennymo
10-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Not so sure that black/blued rings would be the right way to go, because I like things to match. I've been proven wrong before, though.

Picked it up at Epps tonight. They were swamped with people, but as usual they were very helpful. My 5yo son was with me and was being very patient, so when we got to the counter I asked him if he'd like to hold a gun made for him, and asked Epps for a Savage Rascal. He handled it for a couple minutes and had a huge grin on his face, so we left with that, too.

They also gave us a free Epps hat, and he picked a half camo/orange one...future red neck!

I seem to recall a post not all that long ago about non work related camoflauge being banned in a certain household ;).

Nice choice, I am completely in agreement on the varnish levels, shiny isn't my thing. All my wood stocks wear either matte or oil finishes. The last Xbolt I shot did very well, easy three shots into an inch with factory ammo, I think you'll like it. Nice, smooth bolt throw on those things too.

Petamocto
10-13-2015, 05:30 PM
Trigger Fingers, thank you very much for the recommendation. Here's what the Stainless Hunter looks like in matching Leupold VX3 and Talley one-piece X-lock rings/base (which were a huge PITA to find):

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h143/SeanNewman/X-Bolt_zpsauvqyaup.jpg

As per above, I really love the look and feel of it. All I need now is for it to shoot straight, and it will be my new favourite.

Rory McCanuck
10-13-2015, 11:58 PM
That sure looks nice!
Look what followed me home...

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu209/Johnny_Canuck_bucket/GunStuff/5ddeb436-bcdb-4b0f-bdf1-63bcaad11849_zpsnm8jwbhi.jpg

That scope sits on there quite nicely, thanks Kenny!

OldNewGuy
10-14-2015, 12:04 PM
Edit/deleted

OldNewGuy
10-14-2015, 12:10 PM
That sure looks nice!
Look what followed me home...

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu209/Johnny_Canuck_bucket/GunStuff/5ddeb436-bcdb-4b0f-bdf1-63bcaad11849_zpsnm8jwbhi.jpg

That scope sits on there quite nicely, thanks Kenny!

Kenny & Rory,

I bought the Eclipse Hunter last year when they first produced them...very comfortable to shoulder, workmanship/fit & finish was darn good for a production firearm - and it was a real shooter, in the black with a 1" group at 100 yards within 12 cheap factory rounds. Mine is in 30.06 and is a keeper.

Rory McCanuck
10-14-2015, 11:47 PM
Well, had it out today, and ran some handloads.
Quite informal shooting over the hood of the truck, and it looks as if a max charge of IMR 7828 and a Hornady 117gr will do about an inch @ ~75-80 yards.
My first time firing a 25-06, what a treat!
It's snappy, but the recoil doesn't have much push to it.
That thumbhole stock directs everything straight back, too, almost no muzzle jump.

A full load of 7828 makes a nice muzzle flash at dusk, too ;D

kennymo
10-15-2015, 11:29 AM
Makes me wish my thumb was more accommodating to thumb hole stocks. The last knuckle tends not to agree with them very well and I'm reluctant to take a Dremel to widen up the hole a bit. Sorry it didn't work out to take a look at that thing yesterday, I would've liked to check it out.

As much as I'm starting to develop a fetish for big, heavy bullets, the quarter bore is a lot of fun. The .257 Bee that scope came off of is a real pussycat to shoot too. Despite the massive muzzle flash and magnum noise levels, recoil is negligible.

Petamocto
10-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Tested it out today. MOA no problem with crappy hunting ammo, so I am super happy.

It doesn't like to cycle my hand target loads, though, they get jammed 90% of the way in. I assume the casing edges are too straight and I need to crimp them some more.

Rory McCanuck
10-23-2015, 03:37 PM
Nice!
Maybe compare a fired factory brass to your reloads to see where the difference is?

kennymo
10-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Tested it out today. MOA no problem with crappy hunting ammo, so I am super happy.

It doesn't like to cycle my hand target loads, though, they get jammed 90% of the way in. I assume the casing edges are too straight and I need to crimp them some more.

I have had several rifles that inexplicably loved Federal in the blue boxes. (Game shok? Power shok?) It is what it is. And it works fine for deer sized game as I proved again last fall....

As for reloading, are the casings from this gun? If not they might need a full length sizing, chamber dimensions can vary ever so slightly between rifles.

And what are hand targets? :p

Petamocto
10-23-2015, 03:53 PM
Hand loads with super expensive Speer BTHP bullets.

sakosam
12-18-2015, 04:50 PM
the Sako has the slickest bolt........single set trigger is outstanding .......accuracy in my .308 gets me .75 inch with hornady 150 gr. sst......i have had beautifull Brownings before but ...........they always came in 2/nd to the Sako .......imho

Petamocto
12-18-2015, 05:41 PM
I have no doubts that the Sako is high-quality, but I couldn't find the wood/stainless/calibre combo I wanted.

KnowledgeSeeker
12-20-2015, 12:35 PM
That's a beautiful X-Bolt! I just recently acquired the X-Bolt FLD in 7mm Rem Mag for the cheek plate without the shiny of the medallion! From the website I'm thinking about the same model as a .204 Ruger!

gtr
02-16-2016, 02:02 PM
the Sako has the slickest bolt........single set trigger is outstanding .......accuracy in my .308 gets me .75 inch with hornady 150 gr. sst......i have had beautifull Brownings before but ...........they always came in 2/nd to the Sako .......imho

Some fellows like marlins as well. You just never know.

sakosam
06-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Some fellows like marlins as well. You just never know.

marlins dont belong in the same catagory as browning and sako

Kenwp
06-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Buy the Browning and I will break it in for you.

Petamocto
06-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Buy the Browning and I will break it in for you.

Hey buddy, if you're talking to me (the OP) you'll see that this thread was started quite some time ago, and my decision has already been made.

Still extremely impressed with it eight months later. Even the plastic mag has grown on me because it is super heavy duty plastic (opposite of dollar store stuff) and it is very durable.

kennymo
06-08-2016, 06:46 PM
marlins dont belong in the same catagory as browning and sako

No kidding, Brownings and Sakos are damn near useless in the brush..... :la:

Kenwp
06-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Don't hunt in the bush. If I had a Sako or Browning I would figure out how to hunt in a briar patch if needed.

Petamocto
06-08-2016, 08:52 PM
All in with the scope I'm in for $2k, but it's definitely been in the woods and has the nicks and dings to prove it.

That's not to say I don't care about it. It's in its case now and I detailed clean it regularly, but I bought it to be a lifetime hunting rifle, not to hope it goes up in value it it remains perfect.

Rory McCanuck
06-09-2016, 12:01 AM
Hey buddy, if you're talking to me (the OP) you'll see that this thread was started quite some time ago, and my decision has already been made.

Still extremely impressed with it eight months later. Even the plastic mag has grown on me because it is super heavy duty plastic (opposite of dollar store stuff) and it is very durable.

Trigger Fingers, thank you very much for the recommendation. Here's what the Stainless Hunter looks like in matching Leupold VX3 and Talley one-piece X-lock rings/base (which were a huge PITA to find):

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h143/SeanNewman/X-Bolt_zpsauvqyaup.jpg

As per above, I really love the look and feel of it. All I need now is for it to shoot straight, and it will be my new favourite.
Made me go back and have another look.
Man that's a pretty gun.

Petamocto
06-09-2016, 04:35 AM
Why thank you good sir.

lone-wolf
06-09-2016, 12:31 PM
People who don't like the look of the xbolts are nuts