PDA

View Full Version : .22 Base Options

Pizzed
10-01-2015, 06:20 AM
I am looking to put a scope on the old Cooey Model 75, (that I rescued), as irons and my eyes are just not cutting it. The gun is NOT drilled and tapped for the side mount NOR is the receiver grooved for tip-offs. This firearm is NOT a showpiece.

The cost of having the receiver D & T by a gunsmith is prohibitive - (I could do it myself........) so I'm thinking of using some JB Weld under a set of Weaver bases that match the radius of the receiver and barrel. I believe that a two piece base is better than one piece to allow the shell to eject properly. I know the other concern is bolt clearance. The shear force from .22 long rifle recoil should not cause the epoxy weld to break.

Bore sighting would be a prerequisite to ensure that the scope would be in the ballpark and the idea is viable. I also know that gluing and trying to align the bases with rings and scope installed could be tricky.

Any suggestions, ideas? (And no 'Bubba' name calling or I'll report you to the Mods! :))

road kill
10-01-2015, 06:35 AM
I epoxyed a set of bases to a pellet gun many years ago with moderate success. Held for a couple of years then let go, but a air rifle has a lot of vibrations that likely caused the failure. If you try it make sure that things are degreased well. As a side note a neighbour spot welded a long piece of scope base to his sons air rifle, then mounted a scope. I haven't heard of it falling off yet and i don't really know which smilie would be appropriate for that.

RobertMcC
10-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Look for a old Mossberg M22 side mount. Trying to epoxy 2 separate bases and having them stay true would be near impossible.

Pizzed
10-01-2015, 06:48 AM
If I get the side mount, I'll have to drill and tap......

Was thinking of mounting the rings onto the bases and throw an old scope into the rings to *try* and keep things straight/true while the weld is setting up. I could also throw in my boresighter to see how off the whole thing is before even beginning.

RobertMcC
10-01-2015, 07:16 AM
If I get the side mount, I'll have to drill and tap......

Was thinking of mounting the rings onto the bases and throw an old scope into the rings to *try* and keep things straight/true while the weld is setting up. I could also throw in my boresighter to see how off the whole thing is before even beginning.

Or epoxy the side mount. It be much more easier.