PDA

View Full Version : The official NHL 15/16 season thread

Prairie Dog
10-07-2015, 11:40 PM
As of tonight it's game on....

I'd like to see the Oilers do well again. A lot of people have hitched their wagon to McDavid expecting him to be the be all to end all. ....gonna take more than just him. At least they have a coach this year.

BrotherRockeye
10-08-2015, 05:07 AM
been waiting on the Oil to gel for a long time. they need veteran leadership to get all that talent skating in the same direction...rookie stars aren't gonna do it on their own...

Kenwp
10-08-2015, 05:09 AM
Just as long as the Habs don't win is all I ask.

Pizzed
10-08-2015, 05:25 AM
Well, as a Leafs fan, I have nothing to look forward to but mediocrity at best! I need a second team to cheer for....

Prairie Dog
10-08-2015, 06:52 AM
been waiting on the Oil to gel for a long time. they need veteran leadership to get all that talent skating in the same direction...rookie stars aren't gonna do it on their own...

That seems to be their mind set though.

Rory McCanuck
10-08-2015, 09:31 AM
As someone that was a Jets fan in the 80s, I've enjoyed watching the Oil implode for a bunch of years, but even I thought that it stopped being funny about 3 years ago.
You start to really feel bad for all the young guys with all that talent being thrown to the wolves and 'growing up' in such a toxic atmosphere.
Hopefully with MacTavish and I know a thing or two about winning Lowe out of there, things will get better.
Having the same coach for longer than 6 weeks would help, too.

McDavid is pretty good, but he can't turn things around single-handedly in his first year in the league.
They'll be better, and in a couple years they'll be great, but at least there's something to hope for now.

Marner
11-25-2015, 02:10 PM
Well, as a Leafs fan, I have nothing to look forward to but mediocrity at best! I need a second team to cheer for....

Me too, except they're doing pretty good under Mike B - better than expected. As for a second team, I like the Penguins because I enjoy watching Crosby, Kessel & Malkin.

Pizzed
11-25-2015, 05:11 PM
^Yeah, they're doing OK but only because JR has been stellar in net. "Show me a good goalie, I'll show you a good coach".

Marner
11-25-2015, 08:50 PM
Reimer has been good but the team has been playing better. Look at last two games with the Bruins albeit losing both.

Marner
11-25-2015, 08:52 PM
The habs gave NY a hockey lesson tonight.

lone-wolf
11-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Go 'Nucks

Marner
01-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Just as long as the Habs don't win is all I ask.

Looks like you're getting your wish.

lone-wolf
01-20-2016, 07:56 PM
Vancouver needs the ducks(or coyotes, forget) and sharks to do absolutely horrible for a playoff chance

Camo tung
01-20-2016, 10:10 PM
As predicted, the acquisition of #1 draft pick Connor Mcdavid has prolonged the Oilers' mathematical elimination from the playoffs beyond Christmas.

BrotherRockeye
01-20-2016, 10:27 PM
Caps or Hawks will have the cup this year...Canada's teams are like the dollar...

lone-wolf
01-20-2016, 10:43 PM
Wow, the caps only have 8 loses this year so far.

Pizzed
01-21-2016, 08:02 AM
As predicted, the acquisition of #1 draft pick Connor Mcdavid has prolonged the Oilers' mathematical elimination from the playoffs beyond Christmas. If they win the Auston Mathews sweepstakes......

Prairie Dog
01-22-2016, 04:52 PM
OW!

The Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto has many sacred objects of the hockey world.

It’s got all the old rings of the Stanley Cup. It’s got Jacques Plante’s game-changing goalie mask. It has Wayne Gretzky’s record setting 802nd goal puck. It’s got Mario Lemieux’s 1987 Canada Cup jersey.

I’m here to argue today that Matt Hendricks’ can belongs there as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf9CLuf0_cE

Hendricks’ cup, as you can see below, was dented as he blocked an Alex Goligoski slap shot against the Dallas Stars on Thursday night. Hendricks took the shot right in the groin area.

“It hit him where you never want to get hit,” said Sportsnet analyst Drew Remenda. “It’s going to put the best and the toughest down, no doubt about it. Uuuuhhhh! … It’s just painful is all it is.”

Hendricks was helped off the ice. On his way to the dressing room, he collapsed. But a time short later, he was able to return to the game, all because of his cup.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/does-matt-hendricks-can-belongs-in-the-hockey-hall-of-fame-yes

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/sigp226rfan/hendricks-tweet_zpsp7pjkpyo.png

Prairie Dog
01-29-2016, 12:18 AM
Should Wideman be suspended?

Dennis Wideman, post-game, maintained his innocence.

But the National Hockey League has decided to mull things over.

The Calgary Flames defenceman is suspended indefinitely for his collision with linesman Don Henderson. Wideman faces a disciplinary hearing Tuesday, following the league’s all-star weekend.

Wideman, after absorbing a heavy hit of his own, mowed over Henderson in the second period of Wednesday’s game against the Nashville Predators at the Saddledome. The Flames don’t play again till next week.

Also worth noting is this: The NHL rule book’s straightforward guideline – “Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official … without intent to injure, shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.”

Among those weighing in on the debate, which raged on social media, are former referees.

Wrote Paul Stewart: “I get the woozy part and I understand the remorse. However, he’s got to sit. The rule is specific and justly so. Hitting a ref or linesman, whether you are conscious or semi-conscious, is an absolute NO EXCUSE action. The NHL Rule Book spells out the automatic disciplinary aftermath.”

Wrote Kerry Fraser: “I determine that Wideman’s needless and dangerous shove from behind with total disregard for the safety of the linesman to be worthy of a suspension not less than 10 games under Rule 40.3 – category ll.”

Should Wideman be punished for any length of time, the Flames are not entitled to relief – roster- or cap-wise. (The team is currently carrying the maximum of 23 players, with left-winger Micheal Ferland, sidelined by a head injury, poised to return.)

Wideman, after the 2-1 loss to the Preds, had been asked if an NHL investigation of the incident would surprise him.

“Yeah, at the time I didn’t really think anything of it,” he replied, surrounded by reporters in the Flames’ dressing room. “It was something … I tried to get around him. It was obviously, in my view, not intentional. I would never try to hurt a linesman or a ref or anything like that. So, yeah, I’d be surprised. If that happens, all I can do is tell them my side, tell what happened, and hope for the best.”

No penalty was called on the play.

Both gents – player and official – finished the contest.

However, Henderson, following the game, went to the hospital as a precaution.

“Throughout my career – I’ve been around for a few years – I think I’ve treated every official with the utmost respect,” Wideman, 32, said. “I would never intentionally try to hit a linesman or a ref or anything like that.

“It was completely unintentional and I already apologized to him (on the ice).”

Thumped heavily in the Flames’ zone by Miikka Salomaki – and not entirely pleased about it – Wideman had been making his merry way back to the players’ bench. Then, shocking the house, he drilled the official to the ice with a cross-check near the boards. Henderson did not get up immediately.

Wideman’s take?

“Obviously, I took a pretty hard hit down in the corner – had some pretty good pain in my shoulder and neck,” he said. “I was just trying to get off the ice. I was kind of keeled over. At the last second, I looked up and I saw him. I couldn’t avoid it. I didn’t see him. I didn’t know where to go or how to get out of the way of him.

“I just saw him at the last second. I was going to try to go (along) the boards and he kind of moved towards the boards a little bit. I was kind of stuck in the trolley tracks there. It was an accident. I feel really bad about it.

“After, I knew he fell. I didn’t realize how hard he went down.”

Flames coach Bob Hartley, who said he didn’t get a good look at the collision, vouched for his blue-liner’s character.

“We all know Wides,” he said. “He’s the greatest guy. He’s not an aggressive person. Just a bad accident.”

Punishment for abuse of an official is nothing new.

In the last 15 years alone, 11 NHLers have been suspended for the violation – Darcy Hordichuk (10 games); Rob Ray (10, reduced to seven); Daniel Carcillo (10, reduced to six); Andre Roy (six); Mike Peca (five); Martin Gerber (three); Nik Antropov (three); Krzysztof Oliwa (three); Alex Kovalev (three); Roy (three); Slava Kozlov (three).

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/flames-dennis-wideman-suspended-indefinitely-report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4PoDrqv-E

Pizzed
01-29-2016, 06:15 AM
IF (big IF) Wideman had underwent the concussion protocol, he might have had an out. He admitted he was rattled and the Trainers should have said, 'Off to a quiet place for 5 or 10 minutes'. But he doesn't have an excuse now. He's gone.

As a matter of fact, Henderson should probably have underwent immediate observation for 5 or 10 as well.

kennymo
01-29-2016, 10:38 AM
Caught the hit on the news last night, but they weren't showing the header he took into the boards prior.... Maybe he's not quite as guilty as he looked.... Still, tough sell. You're probably right that not getting looked at for concussion could hurt him here.

As to the dented cup, one of the guys in high school took a shot there with the old hard plastic ones. It didn't dent, it shattered into a bunch of pointy shards. It was apparently very unpleasant judging from the string of four letter words emitting from him.....

RELOAD
01-29-2016, 04:16 PM
still waiting for chevy to sign big buff and trade ladd.

Prairie Dog
01-29-2016, 04:58 PM
C’Mon Ref: A former NHL official’s take on the Wideman incident

Hi Kerry,

What is your take on Dennis Wideman's hit on linesman Don Henderson?

It seems like Wideman was furious and lacked any self-control. You could say he was dizzy from the previous hit, but I don't buy it.

His head was raised for about five seconds as he was skating towards the bench. Wideman knew what he was doing. This was no accident. Anyone looping the replay can see it. A serious injury could have taken place. Luckily, Henderson looked like he was okay after the hit.

Is this a major suspension? I would sure hope the rest of the season and all potential playoff games. Perhaps more would send a message. This was classless and unacceptable.

Kelvin

Kelvin,

I had to take a very deep breath to avoid overreacting as I watched Dennis Wideman run over my friend and former colleague Don Henderson from behind. When I saw the finishing push of Wideman’s hands high on the back of the linesman my first reaction was, “You SOB, you did that on purpose!”

After a closer look, given the stutter-step executed by Wideman at the last second prior to impact, I have to believe that the Calgary defenceman really didn’t see the linesman until a collision was imminent and did not strike Henderson with intent to injure. If that was the case, an automatic suspension of at least 20 games would be imposed.

Given the finishing push, I don’t believe that Wideman should be given a pass either.

If Wideman is found guilty of deliberately applying physical force in any manner against Henderson without intent to injure, the Calgary player could be subjected to a suspension of not less than 10 games under Rule 40.3 (Physical Abuse of Officials) category ll.

In 1994, Rick Zombo of the St. Louis Blues was suspended by then senior vice-president of hockey operations Brian Burke for 10 games for physically abusing linesman Kevin Collins. Collins had inadvertently backed into Zombo, forcing a turnover of the puck to Mike McPhee of Dallas, who raced in on a breakaway and scored. Before giving chase to McPhee, Zombo took a short whack at the linesman with his stick and then executed a hard glove punch to the back of Collins’s head. This, of course, was deemed to be a deliberate act of physical abuse on an official.

Wideman was definitely in his own little world after taking a big hit in the corner from Miikka Salomaki that helicoptered the Calgary player head-first into the boards and was worthy of a boarding minor penalty. He might have even been salty that there was no penalty signalled on the play.

Embedded Image

Wideman sufficiently regained his faculties to proceed to the Flames players’ bench. He had the presence of mind to raise his stick and slam it to the ice as a signal to the bench that he was coming for a change.

In the screen grab below, is it reasonable to suspect that Wideman saw the black and white striped sweater as T.J. Brodie was about to jump over the boards as Wideman’s replacement? I want you to notice the body position of linesman Henderson and the narrow gap to his left at the entrance of the Calgary players’ bench door. That gap was Wideman’s intended route to exit the ice. Henderson performed a C-cut with his skates while backing up that took his body position back toward the boards, sealing off the lane that Wideman was intending to pass through.

Wideman sufficiently regained his faculties to proceed to the Flames players’ bench. He had the presence of mind to raise his stick and slam it to the ice as a signal to the bench that he was coming for a change.

In the screen grab below, is it reasonable to suspect that Wideman saw the black and white striped sweater as T.J. Brodie was about to jump over the boards as Wideman’s replacement? I want you to notice the body position of linesman Henderson and the narrow gap to his left at the entrance of the Calgary players’ bench door. That gap was Wideman’s intended route to exit the ice. Henderson performed a C-cut with his skates while backing up that took his body position back toward the boards, sealing off the lane that Wideman was intending to pass through.

This is where any free pass for Wideman ends for me. While I believe contact at this point was unavoidable, I do not accept or condone the finishing push of Wideman’s hands that exacerbated the degree of impact and caused a hard fall to the ice by the linesman.

I would ask Wideman why he didn’t bear hug the defenseless linesman to minimize the contact. Why didn’t he decelerate his forward motion in any way to reduce the impact? Finally, I would ask why he felt it necessary to extend his arms and finish the contact with a strong push on the back of linesman Henderson.

As hockey operations reviews this incident they have the option to impose a 10-game suspension under Rule 40.3—category ll (Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner, which physical force is applied without intent to injure, or who spits on an official, shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.)

It would be a reach, but hockey operations might also buy into Wideman’s claim and reduce the suspension to not less than three games under Rule 40.3 — category lll, even though that category is intended more for threats where contact is generally applied in breaking free from an official during an altercation.

The final option for hockey operations is to impose any number of games that they deem worthy under Rule 28 (Supplementary Discipline).

I determine that Wideman’s needless and dangerous shove from behind with total disregard for the safety of the linesman to be worthy of a suspension not less than 10 games under Rule 40.3—category ll.

http://www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-a-former-nhl-official-s-take-on-the-wideman-incident-1.429965 (pics at link)

That 'push' at the end won't do him any favours.

Pizzed
02-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Should Wideman be suspended? 20 fricken games the league gave him! About 15 more than I thought he would get!

More than half a million in salary to be lost.....yikes!

Rory McCanuck
02-03-2016, 05:28 PM
It's harsh, but dem's da rules.
I think the only real debate was 10 for hitting for sure, but was it another 10 for intent to injure?
The extra pop he gave him is what did it.
That turned a heavy collision into a rather brutal hit from behind on someone completely unsuspecting.

Personally, I think he was more on auto-pilot than anything else.
In a bit of a daze, someone not in your sweater runs into you, you hit back.
A half second can sure turn out to be costly, more than half a million $$$ :o

Pizzed
02-09-2016, 10:18 AM
Wooooohooooo! :)

The Leafs have unloaded Phaneuf! Big trade with Ottawa just went down!

lone-wolf
02-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Wooooohooooo! :)

The Leafs have unloaded Phaneuf! Big trade with Ottawa just went down!

Oh, my father will love to see that oaf go

Waterloomike
02-09-2016, 11:40 AM
well, he's better than cowen. it's a huge contract and melnyk doesn't care for those, except for Karlsson and Ryan. but they unloaded a lot of dead weight. leafs get lindbergh, a very promising prospect. Michalek, past his prime, but an earnest and hard worker, greening, i don't know what happened there.

for the last 2 games, the sens have looked very capable and motivated. at 7 points out, it looked hopeless, but at 4 points out and adding a top 4 d, it seems possible.

BrotherRockeye
02-09-2016, 12:21 PM
Dion gone ;D

bettercallsaul
02-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Nice little salary dump by the Leafs.

Waterloomike
02-09-2016, 12:43 PM
Nice little salary dump by the Leafs.

yes and no, michalek, cowen and greening added up is more than phaneuf.

phaneuf was never a franchise player, but that was the expectation in toronto at the time. there will only be the expectation that he play a competent top 4 d in ottawa.

toronto has a lot of lumps, it's hard to tell who is capable. babcock is good.

ottawa has done well with leaf castoffs. richardson, macarthur, although suffering from concussions now.

michalek and cowen will fit right in with toronto's speed. enjoy! you can time them with a calendar.

Rory McCanuck
02-09-2016, 12:50 PM

phaneuf was never a franchise player, but that was the expectation in toronto at the time. there will only be the expectation that he play a competent top 4 d in ottawa.

ottawa has done well with leaf castoffs. richardson, macarthur, although suffering from concussions now.

michalek and cowen will fit right in with toronto's speed. enjoy! you can time them with a calendar.
But aren't a bunch of them at the end of contracts?
Meaning, next year there's a whole bunch of salary room to hire a big name centre/winger that wants to play near home whose name rhymes with Ramkos?

Waterloomike
02-09-2016, 12:58 PM
But aren't a bunch of them at the end of contracts?
Meaning, next year there's a whole bunch of salary room to hire a big name centre/winger that wants to play near home whose name rhymes with Ramkos?

at least greening will be done. he was no longer good enough, they say. but he was only a fast 3rd or 4th liner anyway. ottawa has tons of those for less money and more skill.

i think michalek has longer, but he's not a liability on the ice, he's just injured a lot. he's a broken down. cowen's contract may be up.

that lindbergh kid could make the trade worthwhile. tons of promise. hated giving him up.

bettercallsaul
02-09-2016, 01:28 PM

All expiring deals. Losing Phaneuf for the next 4-5 years at $7 million per year is huge. AND they got a 2nd round pick.

Phaneuf is good, and will help Ottawa. Leafs planning ahead while Ottawa going all in.

I hate to be this guy, but the whole Stamkos option is looking a bit more realistic today. The "C" is waiting for him.

Waterloomike
02-09-2016, 01:46 PM
All expiring deals. Losing Phaneuf for the next 4-5 years at $7 million per year is huge. AND they got a 2nd round pick.

Phaneuf is good, and will help Ottawa. Leafs planning ahead while Ottawa going all in.

I hate to be this guy, but the whole Stamkos option is looking a bit more realistic today. The "C" is waiting for him.

Not michalek. https://www.nhl.com/news/senators-michalek-signs-new-three-year-contract/c-724763

I think greening and cowen yes.

giving up lindbergh and a 2nd rounder is tough. But they have 2 possibly 3 as good in bingo, in chabot, white and possibly paul.

now getting a 2nd rounder doesn't mean toronto will make as good of a pick as ottawa has. ottawa has done fantastic with 2nd and later round picks. toronto usually trades away good players.

but if lindbergh pans out, toronto does well. he should.

6 - 1 btw. ;D

Pizzed
02-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Not michalek.There is a year left on that - it was signed in July 2014.

The important thing is that the Leafs are WORSE on paper. They better keep losing so that they get better lottery odds, as I've pointed out before, to get the top pick (Auston Matthews) in the summer draft.

Waterloomike
02-09-2016, 02:02 PM
There is a year left on that - it was signed in July 2014.

The important thing is that the Leafs are WORSE on paper. They better keep losing so that they get better lottery odds, as I've pointed out before, to get the top pick (Auston Matthews) in the summer draft.

Ok, you're right. If he's healthy, he's not a liability.

I don't think they're bad enough. They are terrible but not bad enough.

Ottawa will only make the playoffs if they're lucky. there's no cup in their near future. They needed to move cowen and greening. phaneuf fills a need on the short term but the 7 mill is hard to swallow for only a top 4 d. methot, who is better than phaneuf, is less than 5 mill. so they will likely take a hard look at that. they don't like over priced players.

Pizzed
02-09-2016, 02:08 PM
It wasn't the money the Leafs fans hated, it was the TERM coupled with about 2 million a season too much - he is worth about $5 a year, not a penny more. And their dislike was confirmed by management comments today.

Waterloomike
02-09-2016, 02:17 PM
It wasn't the money the Leafs fans hated, it was the TERM coupled with about 2 million a season too much - he is worth about $5 a year, not a penny more. And their dislike was confirmed by management comments today.

Yeah, 7 mill is too much. And then the long term. He's not that good. but it's not like toronto hasn't done that before. How long were they paying owen nolan after he was done? tucker?

he may play better in ottawa, but not 7 mill long term better.

I think he is a bit of a prick, but ottawa is bilingual so it may work out a bit better for him. time will tell.

He does have a bit higher calibre defence to work with. At least the top 3 are anyway. Not the rest.

BrotherRockeye
02-09-2016, 03:04 PM
Cowen, Greening and Michalek are all on contracts that expire at the end of next season.

That opens up a lot of cap space for other players/deals even before options like a buyout or trade are explored.

Lou rules ;D

Waterloomike
02-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Cowen, Greening and Michalek are all on contracts that expire at the end of next season.

That opens up a lot of cap space for other players/deals even before options like a buyout or trade are explored.

Lou rules ;D

Start the parade!

http://www.oakbayteaparty.com/images/marching_band.png

BrotherRockeye
02-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Start the parade!

http://www.oakbayteaparty.com/images/marching_band.png

absolutely!!!

The parade of pending UFA players out of TO before the trade deadline to stock the shelves with picks and prospects.

The Leafs finally have a plan and the right people in the right places to pull it off. No more dealing away the future for a long shot at the present.

Personally I'd like to see the Sens make the playoffs. I think they could make some noise if they get there.

Pizzed
02-09-2016, 04:16 PM
^Yeah, Management now has to execute. And I hope it doesn't include Stamkos. He is going to want too much $$$ and too much term. There are very few players worth that kind of money, I don't believe he is one of them.

Waterloomike
02-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Well I'll certainly go with Babcock, but i'm not 100% on lamarello. He did well when the trap was the thing. But the game is a whole lot faster now. Time will tell. But how do leaf fans stand the same old same old for so long. I guess that's why they call it loyalty.

Ottawa might make the playoffs and if they could get past the 1st round, i would be ecstatic. but i think they're too thin. They couldn't find 1 million for condra but they had all that money for those lugs. They should get better in the next 3 years with what they have in Bingo. And they draft very well. Lindbergh being a fine example. They also do well with projects, like Turris. But phaneuf will never be a 7 million dman. ever.

Karlsson is, for sure. And phaneuf can't hold a candle to him. Or methot. Ceci will one day be better than phaneuf, too. if he isn't now.

I agree about stamkos. he's a first line forward, but no saviour.

Here's to the future.

:Beer time:

BrotherRockeye
02-09-2016, 07:01 PM
the only person that ever thought Phaneuf was worth 7m was Nonis, and look how that turned out for him.

Waterloomike
02-19-2016, 10:10 AM
Ok, 7 mill is ridiculous. But....he is just what Ottawa needed in terms of on the ice. He gives them a legitimate 2nd pairing, he stabilized and even improved Ceci's play, he separates people from the puck, he leads and I like him. But not at 7 mill. Even the 3rd pairing has improved. He gives them a much better chance, the fans and the team like him. But the 3 game losing streak really damaged their chances. Not Phaneuf's fault. They've won 2 in a row now, but in a very unspectacular fashion, except for Karlsson.

The guy just amazes every night. I do believe he is the very best there is.

Anderson has been very solid. It's now or never.

http://fans.senators.nhl.com/community/uploads/PHOTO_7351628_122854_19344365_main.jpg

BrotherRockeye
02-19-2016, 11:21 AM
its pretty simple, Phaneuf was misused in Toronto, given too much money and responsibility, and then blamed for it.

It's not his fault he's getting older, or that they gave him the C or the fat contract...or that he's better at crushing people and blasting point shots on the PP than shutting down an elite offensive threat...

I hope he flourishes in Senslanding and they win the fockin cup... :)

lone-wolf
02-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Canucks lost their last 3, all of em 5 to 2.

:(

Prairie Dog
02-19-2016, 11:27 AM
and the Oilers are playing like a midget AA team.....

blacksmithden
02-19-2016, 11:31 AM

I don't understand why Torontoians continue to to support them in any way....I mean with the bi-centennial coming up fast.....by that, I'm referring to the whole 50 years since winning the cup thing.. :confused:

Waterloomike
02-19-2016, 11:38 AM
its pretty simple, Phaneuf was misused in Toronto, given too much money and responsibility, and then blamed for it.

It's not his fault he's getting older, or that they gave him the C or the fat contract...or that he's better at crushing people and blasting point shots on the PP than shutting down an elite offensive threat...

I hope he flourishes in Senslanding and they win the fockin cup... :)

No, it's not his fault. Toronto has a long and storied history of unwisely investing from their deep pockets.

Thanks for the well wishes and may it come true some day.

Waterloomike
02-19-2016, 11:42 AM
I don't understand why Torontoians continue to to support them in any way....I mean with the bi-centennial coming up fast.....by that, I'm referring to the whole 50 years since winning the cup thing.. :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDSVorNiJCU

blacksmithden
02-19-2016, 12:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDSVorNiJCU

What does the hockey league give for an achievement award for this kind of performance ? Engraved 50th year golf clubs ? :)

Waterloomike
02-19-2016, 12:23 PM
What does the hockey league give for an achievement award for this kind of performance ? Engraved 50th year golf clubs ? :)

http://www.doconomics.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/dunce1.jpg

BrotherRockeye
02-19-2016, 02:40 PM

Because that's what real fans do!

They are behind their team through thick and thin.

They tolerate the bad and revel in the good, and cheer for them always.

blacksmithden
02-19-2016, 02:46 PM

You know BrotherRockeye. ...I could get behind that.......IF the NHL had 200 teams and they hadn't gone HALF A CENTURY without winning the cup. Lol.

Pizzed
02-19-2016, 03:35 PM
^BSD, when I was a kid playing street hockey (or on the ice), I was Dave Keon. How's that for a reason?

There is hope now, the right management, the right philosophy....they just have to execute. And we have to be patient.

Rory McCanuck
02-19-2016, 09:21 PM
And when I was playing road hockey, the players could be whomever they wished, but the two goalies were Dryden and Tretiak, without fail :)

Waterloomike
02-19-2016, 09:36 PM

You cannot fault leaf fans loyalty. But thin is an understatement. More like threadbare.

BrotherRockeye
02-20-2016, 12:25 AM
You know BrotherRockeye. ...I could get behind that.......IF the NHL had 200 teams and they hadn't gone HALF A CENTURY without winning the cup. Lol.

How many teams have been in the NHL that long, or have even won a single Cup?
Haters gonna hate lol

You cannot fault leaf fans loyalty. But thin is an understatement. More like threadbare.

Almost as bad as the Sens only winning one...in 1927... :)

Waterloomike
02-20-2016, 05:59 AM
How many teams have been in the NHL that long, or have even won a single Cup?
Haters gonna hate lol

Almost as bad as the Sens only winning one...in 1927... :)

they weren't in the ĺeague from 1934 to 1992.

and there was some pretty sad teams early on in the 90s.

but ottawa has 11 cups. of course none since re-entry.

BrotherRockeye
02-20-2016, 09:48 AM
they weren't in the ĺeague from 1934 to 1992.

and there was some pretty sad teams early on in the 90s.

but ottawa has 11 cups. of course none since re-entry.

I count 10 with the last one being 1926/27...and the Leafs get a hard time about a Cup drought...

to be fair the Leafs haven't really been in the league since the late 60's either ;D

Waterloomike
02-20-2016, 09:57 AM
I count 10 with the last one being 1926/27...and the Leafs get a hard time about a Cup drought...

to be fair the Leafs haven't really been in the league since the late 60's either ;D

Could be 10, i thought it was 7, but went to wiki. so....I can go with 10. It's ancient history anyway.

The leafs almost won a playoff round a few years ago against Boston. they were leading 4 - 1 in the 3rd. And >>>>>>>>>>>>>LOST!

If the Sens lose tonite, you can probably write them off. But I will watch every game until the bitter end. They don't seem to want to be prime time like last year. Chaotic and disorganised.

BrotherRockeye
02-20-2016, 11:20 AM
When the coach leaves the same 5 guys on the ice for 15 minutes in the last period that will happen.

Still hoping the Sens can make the push.

Nice to have at least one Canadian team in the race...

lone-wolf
02-20-2016, 11:21 AM
And when I was playing road hockey, the players could be whomever they wished, but the two goalies were Dryden and Tretiak, without fail :)

I was always kirk maclean

Waterloomike
02-20-2016, 11:33 AM
I was always kirk maclean

i was always Sittin Ondabinch.

lone-wolf
02-20-2016, 12:11 PM
Canucks lost their last 3, all of em 5 to 2.

:(

My god, they lost last night's game 5-2 as well. ugh

FlyingHigh
02-20-2016, 03:22 PM

People support the Canuckleheads and they've NEVER won the cup. The only cup the Cansucks will ever hoist will be a sippy cup. They're better golfers than hockey players. :D

My god, they lost last night's game 5-2 as well. ugh

I love posting this:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/32/61809438_d535817616.jpg

Pizzed
03-31-2016, 06:34 AM
Canada - doing the game proud! :canada: NOT!

All Canadian Teams miss the playoffs this year. :Bang head:

lone-wolf
03-31-2016, 07:30 AM
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/32/61809438_d535817616.jpg

Uhhhhhh, way too accurate at the moment.