PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Mountain Accent vs Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter mountain .270win

Picko
10-15-2015, 11:19 PM
I have been looking at a good all around hunting rifle. I have decided to go with the .270win.

I have been doing a bit of research online and stuck between the Steyr Pro hunter or the Kimber Mountain accent. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on either rifle and would appreciate as much feedback as possible. These are a few things that jumped out at me.

How does the bolt cycle?
How do the stocks feel - slip, soft touch, balance etc
Also interested in how manageable the recoil is on both rifles in particular the Kimber due to its light weight.
As well as hunting, the rifle i choose will get a decent amount of range time, so interest how the barrels perform and there lifespan.

Its a loaded question, but would appreciate peoples feedback.

I am open to further suggestions- I'm budgeting around the $2500.00

awndray
10-16-2015, 04:03 AM
I've never handled the Kimber, so I can't comment on that. I have fondled the Steyr though. That bolt is the smoothes I've ever laid my hands on. I thought Sako make a buttery smooth bolt until I grabbed the Pro Hunter. Unfortunately, I haven't had the pleasure of shooting it but it's the nicest rifle I've ever touched. Fit and finish is incredible. Sorry I'm of no help. I hope someone can help you with you're decision.

looch
10-16-2015, 01:17 PM
I had a Steyr Model M - not sure how similar that is to a Pro Hunter, action-wise. I needed a cigarette after closing that bolt. The problem with it was a most troublesome one: releasing the safety caused the bolt handle to raise just enough that pulling the trigger would cause a light primer strike. I learned pretty quickly to give the bolt handle a tap prior to firing.

Picko
10-16-2015, 11:53 PM
I had a Steyr Model M - not sure how similar that is to a Pro Hunter, action-wise. I needed a cigarette after closing that bolt. The problem with it was a most troublesome one: releasing the safety caused the bolt handle to raise just enough that pulling the trigger would cause a light primer strike. I learned pretty quickly to give the bolt handle a tap prior to firing.

That doesn't sound good, Ill look into it. Thanks

I hope they have improved on it and it is comparable to the SAKO.