PDA

View Full Version : The "First Gun" question.

Baker
06-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Okay so, most of you know that I'm (finally) getting my PAL (had them do the phone interview thingy this morning). I've been around firearms all my life, and I'm by no means a novice.

But, should my first gun by the standard .22 rifle (insert your idea of your favorite .22 here), or step it up a notch or two. Personally, one of my key rifles to acquire is a Norc M305, get a bipod and a good quality scope (might just keep it naked, and just buy another to set up as more long range plinker, either way..).

Or, should I still go with, say, a ruger 10-22 as my first rifle, since the ammo is so damn cheap. That way I can practice a lot more, not really spend much on the way of fancy accessories, and just have a lot of fun, much more often.

Ideas gents?

jwirecom109
06-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Canada Ammo has the M305 short and reg length models with 520 rounds for 600 bucks, thats a steal of a deal.

I have 2 ruger 10/22 they are great, so its a good way to go aswell.

If you asked which i like to shoot more?

my M305 forsure

Prairie Dog
06-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Guns are like potato chips, you'll never have just one. Add to that no collection is complete without a 10/22 and I have owned several, my most recent being an SR22.

If I was starting out all over again, knowing what I know now, I would start with a good bolt action .22. A personal preference is the CZ 452 or 455. Some models come with interchangeable barrels, .22lr, .17hmr and .22 magnum. I'll admit I have a penchant for rim fire, it serves 99% of my needs and for pennies a day you can shoot to your heart's content. ....but that's just my opinion.....

Baker
06-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Is there much of a difference between the short and full length M305 (any wise ass jokes about the length/weight are unacceptable lol)? Also, I know that it might not be necessary, but what parts would be good to upgrade to the USGI spec stuff.

I guess a better question would be, if I do get an M305, what would be some important stuff to get for it.

ETA; yeah, if I did get a .22 first, it would probably be a bolt action, so then I wouldn't have the problem of the cheap ammo not feeding and such.

Drache
06-26-2012, 12:34 PM
For your first rifle go with a bolt action .22! Ammo is cheap and it will help you knock out some bad shooting habits to begin with and any nervousness you might have (if you're new to shooting). Personally I'd suggest a Savage Mark II. They are insanely accurate and can be had for VERY cheap. I picked mine up and threw a cheap scope onto it for less than $400. With the cheapest ammo I can find it'll make one ragged hole at 50 yards. I've also shot out the little crossbars on a pop can tab at 50 yards (got the picture to prove it even :p).

Then I'd suggest moving up to .223 simply because ammo is half the price of .308! I picked up a nice bolt action .223 and loved every minute of it. Not to mention I could swap ammo between my "black guns" :D

.308 is nice if you plan to reload. Take it from me, cheap 308 is good out to 100 yards but passed that you jump from $1 per round to $2 per round just to get any decent accuracy at all. I bought multiple boxes of various rounds to test out in my FCP-SR bolt action and the best grouping with the cheap ammo was 5" at 200 yards.

But I love the M-14 clones. They are very fun to shoot and just look badass to begin with!

Haywire1
06-26-2012, 01:23 PM
I agree with a .22 to start with. there is a reason the military used .22 as training rifles for years. No recoil, light to handle, a good bolt action .22 will help you develop proper shooting habits. also very fun to plinck with, as far as cost, you cant get 525 rounds of .22 for 23 bux, sometimes cheaper(for the ones I shoot). 308, 23 bux will get you 20 rounds(not surplus).

Baker
06-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Okay so I've decided on a .22, specifically the Savage MkII (Thanks drache for planting that seed :D ) Upon researching that specific rifle, I found out there are a lot of different models. I'm leaning toward the Mk2F model, mainly because it's black (isn't that the new tactical thing? lol), and it's 220 bucks on frontier. Only thing is that I can't find a couple more spare mags for it, but that's not really much of a big deal right now.

Garetsu
06-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Okay so I've decided on a .22, specifically the Savage MkII (Thanks drache for planting that seed :D ) Upon researching that specific rifle, I found out there are a lot of different models. I'm leaning toward the Mk2F model, mainly because it's black (isn't that the new tactical thing? lol), and it's 220 bucks on frontier. Only thing is that I can't find a couple more spare mags for it, but that's not really much of a big deal right now.

I bought a Mark II F 2 weeks after I bought my first rifle (a Mosin!), and I do not regret it! It shoots straight, the trigger is absolutely beautiful, and you can pick up a scope base for about $6.

As far as spare mags, you can find them around (A local store sells the 5-rounders for $20 and the 10 for $30), unfortunately I can't find anything bigger then 10, but, that's not too big of an issue with a bolt-action..

Long story short, enjoy!

Baker
06-27-2012, 05:54 PM
I think that the only ones they make are the 5 and 10 rounders. It's not really that big of a deal for me anyway, unless I happen to lose/break the mag, but I can't see that happening.

And yeah, I do think I'll end up running a scope for it. Gotta take those squirrels from distance sometimes :D

lone-wolf
06-27-2012, 08:44 PM
you can order the magazines directly from savage for cheaper(even shipped) than any dealer around.
$14 for a 10rd, something like that.

$30 for a 10rd savage magazine?!?! Holy crap, I can't believe the mark up I see on savage magazines when you can buy them direct!

Drache
06-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Okay so I've decided on a .22, specifically the Savage MkII (Thanks drache for planting that seed :D )

Welcome. I wanted an "F" but my local gunstore only had them in .17HM2 and I wanted a .22LR for the cost of ammo so instead I was stuck buying the "G" (fake wood and hunting barrel with iron sights). Right out of the box with irons I was shooting pencils at 25 yards or so. It was an amazingly accurate rifle.

zulu
06-27-2012, 10:23 PM
good choice baker. the m14 clones are fun but they can be a can of worms that takes a lot of know how to get shooting right, as well (in my own opinion) its one of the worst platform to develop new shooters.

savage makes good firearms and shooting gophers never gets old....NEVER

Garetsu
06-28-2012, 09:17 AM
you can order the magazines directly from savage for cheaper(even shipped) than any dealer around.
$14 for a 10rd, something like that.

$30 for a 10rd savage magazine?!?! Holy crap, I can't believe the mark up I see on savage magazines when you can buy them direct!

Holy crap! haha, well, I'm glad I haven't bought any locally yet. Thanks for the tip :-P

road kill
06-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Yup a 22 lr is your best bet to start. Ammo is cheap and it`s a lot of fun, i currently have 5 rimfires. A 10-22, 3 CZ`s and a undetermined single shot.

94sahara
06-30-2012, 12:57 PM
What do you guys think about a Cooey 60 bolt action tube mag as a first gun? I think they shoot short, long, and long rifle cartridges?

Rory McCanuck
07-01-2012, 12:54 PM
What do you guys think about a Cooey 60 bolt action tube mag as a first gun? I think they shoot short, long, and long rifle cartridges?

The perfect first gun. Shoots anything you feed it, and usually
shoots it pretty well. A simple, fool-proof safety. Easy to operate, and
doesn't automatically put a new, live round in the chamber.
Best of all, no magazine to lose.
I don't know how many guns I've seen for sale "Great gun, just missing
the clip. They're easily picked up for $20 at any gun store"
Really? Then why don't you pick one up to sell a complete gun?

And its part of the Canadian heritage :D

Baker
07-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Those KelTech SU-16 rifles look pretty neat. Anyone have one? Pros an cons? What I'm thinking is that it'd be a pretty good coyote gun, in that it's rather small, good caliber, built in bipod, and with the LAR-15 10rnd mags it'd also be something to have a bit of fun with.

zulu
07-08-2012, 01:40 PM
i wasnt impressed by the su-16. i know there is upgrades u can buy to make it better but i couldnt get past how much wiggle it had. the bipod felt cheap and breakable. cz 858 beat all my expectations. i think they came out with a 5.56 for them

Baker
07-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah I've been looking at the CZ858 as well. Been thinking about either that or a SU-16, as a more or less "battle" rifle sort of thing (mainly just something to have fun with, and do a bit of hunting). Seems that there are more accessories for the CZ as well (who doesn't like accessories?).

lone-wolf
07-08-2012, 05:14 PM
The SU16 is fun, but the bipod is a gimmick, magazine storage in the buttstock is a gimmick as is the folding unless you need it - I don't and so I'm not fan of the stock.
Still fun.

pubb
07-21-2012, 09:54 PM
if you haven't already gotten it, I might recommend the FV version - same gun with a heavy barrel. It is about $20 more. If you're going to be shooting volume at the range, it performs better. If you are going to be hunting with it - i.e. traipsing through the woods all day with the odd shot here and there, the light barrel is better.

Ticketed
07-22-2012, 09:30 PM
I've just entered the sport this year and am please with having my first firearm be a CZ455 lux. Needless to say, the CZ Shadow I'm waiting on is a step up.

westislandrifle
07-23-2012, 09:09 AM
i suggest try some guns out find what you like and do what i do every pay i put 25 in the gun fund makes those CC purchases a little more managable