PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 Optic for squirrel and rabbit hunting

Arclight556
10-26-2015, 05:50 PM
I live on Vancouver Island BC and I am considering getting an optic for my rifle. I plan on using it for squirrel and rabbits. My rifle came with a rail, and I would like to use that. I am not a fan of open sights since most of my shooting is peep sights in competitions and I have never really used an optic before.

kennymo
10-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Well you could probably get a peep sight for it if you wanted.... My semi auto .22 wears a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot. My bolt action has a 3-9x40 Bushnell rimfire scope and rings. Both are pretty economical, both work well enough.

Foxer
10-26-2015, 09:38 PM
Yeah, an affordable red dot like that is pretty handy - lets you keep both eyes open and that's a good thing - minimal parallax.

labradort
10-27-2015, 08:32 AM
I have a 10/22 as well. Everything I read said stay away from the rail supplied by Ruger and install a Weaver rail. I did that and bought a Simmons 3-9x 40mm scope for fairly cheap. My brother-in-law put some sort of red dot on his 10/22 and I noticed there was parallax shift as I moved my head around. I considered red dot, but didn't know how well the battery faired in cold weather for several hours of hiking while hare hunting. I've yet to test my set up for hares, but will know in a few weeks how practical it works out. I'm hoping 3x power is wide enough view. I'm slow stalking, not using a dog. I'd go with open sights, except my older eyes don't focus well on the sight, especially in diminished light. People tell me a whistle will cause a running hare to stop for 2 seconds and listen.

road kill
10-28-2015, 06:47 AM
My old 10-22 has had various 4x and 3x9 scopes on it over the 40 years i've had it, a good 4 power is tough to beat in most uses.

Marcel
12-02-2015, 10:07 PM
I actually prefer fixed power, less crap to change my zero without me wanting it to.