PDA

View Full Version : Hard Hold

Drache
04-10-2012, 04:04 AM
This is a shooting style that I actually teach anyone I bring out shooting with me. I taught it before I even knew the name.

When shooting with a bench or why prone this is one of the most steady ways to control your rifle and I've seen groups improve greatly by doing this.

Simply put take the hand that isn't going to be operating the trigger and tuck it underneath the buttstock of the rifle. From here you can either pull the rifle into your shoulder more, squeeze a shooting bag under the buttstock, or use your hand to create a rear rest for the rifle.

One way I do it as what I call the pool shooter method. Put your fingers on the bench and cup the buttstock in the pad between your thumb and index finger as if you were using a pool que. This method allows slight adjustments by tensing or relaxing the hand ever so slightly.

This will give you a rough idea of what I mean by the hard hold:
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/9378/dsc01412a.jpg

The other hand is tucked underneath and steadies the rifle.

Redhouse
04-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Exactly what I do, but I squeeze the 'ears' of my rear bag rather than the stock itself.

Oh, and I WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AT ALL TIMES if you know that kid shooting, tell him he should too. I don't care if it's 'just' a .22. Yes, I am a safety nazi.

Not really I'm not - I don't wear as much ear pro as I should. But not covering the eyes is unconscionable.

Drache
04-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Exactly what I do, but I squeeze the 'ears' of my rear bag rather than the stock itself.

Oh, and I WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AT ALL TIMES if you know that kid shooting, tell him he should too. I don't care if it's 'just' a .22. Yes, I am a safety nazi.

Not really I'm not - I don't wear as much ear pro as I should. But not covering the eyes is unconscionable.

Don't look in the Women with guns thread Candy started. Half of them don't have eye protection.

I take it you don't hunt much? Eye and ear protection aren't really available when hunting either :p

Redhouse
04-10-2012, 11:14 AM
For me it is, I wear glasses and all of mine, including and especially my shades, are built with safety glass. I also carry a couple pairs of cheap goggles in my range bag (and an extra set of ear pro and a whole box of the foamie ear pro). I'm forever lending or giving them out, which I don't begrudge at all...usually it's newbs to shooting who forgot, or their sponsor forgot and I'd rather they have a good experience than go home deaf and in pain.

Canuck
05-11-2012, 08:25 AM
For me it is, I wear glasses and all of mine, including and especially my shades, are built with safety glass. I also carry a couple pairs of cheap goggles in my range bag (and an extra set of ear pro and a whole box of the foamie ear pro). I'm forever lending or giving them out, which I don't begrudge at all...usually it's newbs to shooting who forgot, or their sponsor forgot and I'd rather they have a good experience than go home deaf and in pain.

Or blind.

BrotherRockeye
05-11-2012, 02:24 PM
That's the bench style I use and always have...never knew there was a name for it.

:D

Drache
05-11-2012, 02:44 PM
this thread isn't about safety in a picture, it is about the hard hold, so let's keep the thread on topic or start a new one about safety.

Turkeyslayer 1300
05-13-2012, 01:17 PM
I have always shot from the bench this way. Definitely provides a larger degree of control than other methods, however sometimes it can provide issues with repeatability.

50calshooter
05-14-2012, 10:06 AM
I shoot the same way from the bench,

road kill
05-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Looks like the same method i use as well when bench shooting. I don`t shoot prone much anymore due to injuries that make it uncomfortable.

BuckingFastard
05-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Same for me, I think most of us who have spent a lot of time plugging paper, we eventually find or develop what works best for the individual. Hard hold seems to be popular, never knew it had a name but now I do