PDA

View Full Version : new to glass....M1 hunting rifle.

woodenkayaker
06-26-2012, 09:16 PM
-Norinco M1s, 308 caliber.
-I intend to use it elk hunting in the fall...
-I cant decide what I should put on it at all... or just leave it iron sites.
-I would prefer fixed power scopes, tho few seem to be made. I think a 4 or 6 power
-illuminated reticle would be interesting... low light use may well prove important.

also curious to find out what ppl think about the burris iliminator (mk.3) comming out next month...any opinions there? :)
Thanks!
Jon

JustBen
06-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Do you mean the Norinco M14? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see an M1, but I'm not aware of a norc M1 available.

I know my M14 isn't accurate enough to take advantage of the laser rangefinding scope you've suggested, although I've only shot it with the irons. I'm about 4 to 5 MOA at 100 yards, which could be mostly my aiming.

I'm considering a red dot sight and a magnifier for mine, simply because it will provide good close range accuracy, and quick magnification for the longer shots if needed. Unfortunately, mounting systems are not cheap for this platform.

lone-wolf
06-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Unless you plan to sink a lot more money then the rifle is worth into it, I think irons would be best.

woodenkayaker
06-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Sorry you are right...its an m14... springfield armouries calls thiers an m1... I think.
I was considering the 4-6 power scope option.... possibly with an illuminated reticle.
I prefer fixed power scopes and other simple options. Iron sights are an option....

The burris eliminator wasnt meant for this rifle.. was just a random thought. :) I tend to do that.
sorry! :)

RobSmith
06-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Learn to use the irons well, then look for an elusive man known simply as "Hungry" (nobody seems to know his real name although he has been referred to as Barney by some) ... IF you can find the man I do believe it may cost you a steak dinner but he will teach you everything you will ever want to know and then some when it comes to the M305/M1A/M14/M14S and then some and how to make that "crappy Norc" or your's as accurate if not more accurate than 99% of the other shooting irons out there. The mods will set you out of a few hundred bucks apparently but still come out cheaper than most precision rifles out there.

woodenkayaker
06-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Well, I hope Hungry likes elk dinner... cuz thats why im getting the rifle to begin with! :)
Always happy to talk guns and very much appreciate the lead....
now to go find the purple dinosaur....
;)

canadaboy
03-29-2015, 04:26 PM
Just to clarify, the Norinco M305 is a clone of the Springfield M1A, which is a semi automatic only version of the select fire M14. The M1A is not to be confused with the world war 2 era M1 carbine (more formally known as the United States Carbine, Caliber .30, M1), they are very different firearms.

As for scope recommendations 4x fixed power scopes are good for general purpose hunting. 6x may be preferable if slightly longer shots (300 yards and up) are common where you hunt. Illuminated reticles can be good but foe low light hunting I would spend money on better glass first. You can get a used Leupold M8 fixed 4x scope for around $200-250 if you look around a bit. Otherwise a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 or 3-9x40 would be a good quality variable for a good price ($220-260 new).

FALover
03-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Barney works for wine! JLohr Cabernet gets you a visit to his place and hands on instruction on getting the most out of your M14 or Garand rifle.

Foxer
03-29-2015, 06:42 PM
Irons can be a very serious disadvantage in low light. Especially with elk, who are notoriously hard to get in close on. I'd personally seriously consider some glass. A decent 2-7 should do the job very nicely, and there's lots of good examples at low cost. Some like the mueller or others have either illuminated or glow-in-the-dark reticles.