PDA

View Full Version : PAL/RPAL Timelines

Pages : 1 [2]

LASHA
11-24-2019, 06:27 PM
Don't wait, call the CFO, they won't be mad, they'll do a quick interview, stamp, stamp, mail! DONE! Mine was sitting on the bottom of the pile after a few months, called, issued SAME DAY! Get her done.

-Jamie M.

Yes i will call them tomorrow. i do have a record of theft under 5k but charges withdrawn i dont know if that plays any role in holding it back...
Thanks

toysareforboys
11-24-2019, 06:35 PM
Hey there. I have a record of theft under 5k and charges withdrawn. Sep 19 my aplication showed up online and since then it says the same. It is now with Ontario cfo. When i call they tell me to call back in couple of weeks.
Thanks

Yes i will call them tomorrow. i do have a record of theft under 5k but charges withdrawn i dont know if that plays any role in holding it back...
Thanks
Don't take "we'll call you back" as an answer. Ask them "What is the name of the officer that's holding my application?" ... "It's so and so." ... "Can I please talk with them now?" if they aren't available get their phone extension so you can dial them directly.

Is theft under $5k fraud related? There are three things they consider for denying your license, fraud, violence, and sexual stuff. If it was withdrawn I don't think it should be an issue but prepared with exactly what happened to cause the charge, dates, times, people. Don't lie about anything.

Good luck!

-Jamie M.

LASHA
11-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Don't take "we'll call you back" as an answer. Ask them "What is the name of the officer that's holding my application?" ... "It's so and so." ... "Can I please talk with them now?" if they aren't available get their phone extension so you can dial them directly.

Is theft under $5k fraud related? There are three things they consider for denying your license, fraud, violence, and sexual stuff. If it was withdrawn I don't think it should be an issue but prepared with exactly what happened to cause the charge, dates, times, people. Don't lie about anything.

Good luck!

-Jamie M.

Hey Jamie
No it is not fraud related or violence or firearms related whatsoever. Its just in CPIC. Well then i should be fine because it is nothing major.

LASHA
11-25-2019, 03:00 PM
Hey Jamie
No it is not fraud related or violence or firearms related whatsoever. Its just in CPIC. Well then i should be fine because it is nothing major.

Update
So i called today and inquired about my application and i was told it was assigned to the officer and she will look at it tomorrow. They would not give her contact information so i guess i am calling back tomorrow

RangeBob
11-25-2019, 03:59 PM
Update
So i called today and inquired about my application and i was told it was assigned to the officer and she will look at it tomorrow. They would not give her contact information so i guess i am calling back tomorrow

A police officer or an information officer ?

LASHA
11-25-2019, 06:54 PM
A police officer or an information officer ?

I dont know. I was told that my case is assignedto officer and she was not in today. She said the officer will call me something... i would not be surprised to get denied since I am in Toronto capital of liberals.

LASHA
11-26-2019, 03:40 PM
Update:

After 75 days since they received my application today i was approves over the phone. I will have my pal handy in two weeks

linung
11-26-2019, 06:19 PM
let me be the first to say congrats and say goodbye to your wallet.

LASHA
11-27-2019, 01:06 AM
let me be the first to say congrats and say goodbye to your wallet.

Thanks brother. Best way to spend money! ;D

toysareforboys
11-27-2019, 03:02 AM
Update: After 75 days since they received my application today i was approves over the phone. I will have my pal handy in two weeksAwesome news man! Glad they did a phone interview and you got approved! Did they ask you about the theft charges?

-Jamie M.

LASHA
11-27-2019, 04:50 AM
Awesome news man! Glad they did a phone interview and you got approved! Did they ask you about the theft charges?

-Jamie M.

No questions at all. I called and she put me on hold, then thanked for waiting and told that she just approved me. No call to references nor was i interviewed. By boxing week i should be able to buy some boom sticks:D

toysareforboys
11-27-2019, 08:08 AM
No questions at all. I called and she put me on hold, then thanked for waiting and told that she just approved me. No call to references nor was i interviewed. By boxing week i should be able to buy some boom sticks:DPew pew pew! If you find some deals on guns on black friday sales this weekend don't hesitate to stamp your name on some as most retailers will allow you to put a deposit or purchase them without a PAL# and will hold them until your number/card arrives. Williams Arms, Port Perry, ON and Firearms of Canada, Ajax, ON both did that for me while I was waiting for my card to arrive in the mail :D

And if you were looking to stamp your name on something AR-15 in case they ban them but grandfather current owners Williams Arms has a sweet brand new DPMS one for $695: http://williamsarms.net/newfirearms.html

https://www.dpmsinc.com/assets/images/firearms/223RFA3-OC.jpg

And if picking up something AR-15 then S&J Hardware has an insane sale on 30/10rd magazines for $31.99, pistol capacity pew pew in full size magazine: https://www.facebook.com/sjmanufacturing/photos/a.170725632952248/2912599685431482/?type=3&theater

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-ctjxsmdpcf/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2250/8217/lar-15-mag-30-10-556__45618.1568654267.jpg?c=2

If purchasing something restricted this weekend you can call the CFO back and request your PAL# in advance of receiving your card so you can get the transfer started. That way you can get your restricted as quick as possible after receiving your card. If ordering online make sure you tell them not to ship it until you notify them that your card has arrived, just in case the transfer goes through before your card arrives.

-Jamie M.

LASHA
11-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Pew pew pew! If you find some deals on guns on black friday sales this weekend don't hesitate to stamp your name on some as most retailers will allow you to put a deposit or purchase them without a PAL# and will hold them until your number/card arrives. Williams Arms, Port Perry, ON and Firearms of Canada, Ajax, ON both did that for me while I was waiting for my card to arrive in the mail :D

And if you were looking to stamp your name on something AR-15 in case they ban them but grandfather current owners Williams Arms has a sweet brand new DPMS one for $695: http://williamsarms.net/newfirearms.html

https://www.dpmsinc.com/assets/images/firearms/223RFA3-OC.jpg

And if picking up something AR-15 then S&J Hardware has an insane sale on 30/10rd magazines for $31.99, pistol capacity pew pew in full size magazine: https://www.facebook.com/sjmanufacturing/photos/a.170725632952248/2912599685431482/?type=3&theater

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-ctjxsmdpcf/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2250/8217/lar-15-mag-30-10-556__45618.1568654267.jpg?c=2

If purchasing something restricted this weekend you can call the CFO back and request your PAL# in advance of receiving your card so you can get the transfer started. That way you can get your restricted as quick as possible after receiving your card. If ordering online make sure you tell them not to ship it until you notify them that your card has arrived, just in case the transfer goes through before your card arrives.

-Jamie M.

Thanks Jamie. Yes i will do that for sure. So black friday deals vs Christmas. which is better? I k kw they are trying to ban AR15 but...

Turbocabz
02-19-2020, 08:52 AM
I figured i'd share my wait time. I did my course in dec 2018. Submitted my paperwork early 2019. They received it on march 2019. My application has been with the CFO of BC for a year now. No criminal history. Just an average guy. I call every few months and nobody can give me a clear answer. I gave up on it now. I wanted to get into firearms but i kinda moved on to another passion. Sadly i just feel like my rights are just being played with...

Stew
02-19-2020, 12:18 PM
call Mirimichi CFO

toysareforboys
02-20-2020, 03:00 PM
I figured i'd share my wait time. I did my course in dec 2018. Submitted my paperwork early 2019. They received it on march 2019. My application has been with the CFO of BC for a year now. No criminal history. Just an average guy. I call every few months and nobody can give me a clear answer. I gave up on it now. I wanted to get into firearms but i kinda moved on to another passion. Sadly i just feel like my rights are just being played with...Call CFO office, find out exactly which CFO is holding your application, ask to speak with them and if not get their direct extension. Call them until you speak with the person holding your application and ask them what the hold up is. For my friend it was "we couldn't get ahold of your ex girlfriend", ummm, she moved back with her family in Japan. Boom, license issued.

-Jamie M.

Kenwp
03-21-2020, 10:19 PM
Right now I expect its going to take even longer with the offices all closed down. I lucked out I sent my renewal in online on the 15th of Feb. and they had it back in my hands by the 4th of March.

JeffT
07-08-2021, 05:17 PM
Anyone get their PAL/RPAL recently? How long did it take?

SIR VEYOR
07-08-2021, 05:25 PM

Not yet, but online beats anything else with a stick for speed. Follow up emails fo scans of range cards IIRC

Big-Boss-Man
07-08-2021, 06:22 PM

Welcome to GOC. I got my upgrade to rpal in May took 6 months. There was a new member here that applied in April and got it in June so 2 months (I don't recall if just pal or both). If you have applied recently it should be relatively quick, and will be until the courses start picking up again.

JeffT
07-08-2021, 08:34 PM
Welcome to GOC. I got my upgrade to rpal in May took 6 months. There was a new member here that applied in April and got it in June so 2 months (I don't recall if just pal or both). If you have applied recently it should be relatively quick, and will be until the courses start picking up again.

Thank you. Unfortunately I didn’t apply for my PAL/RPAL recently, it was last October when the average wait was 4-5 months. Though I’ve been waiting over 8 months now. I had made the grave error of not submitting my photo on photo paper in the first instance which delayed my application by months. Hindsight is 20/20! ;) I’m hoping it will be soon now that my application is with the CFO. I’ve been checking online several times a day for a LONG time now. :(

Big-Boss-Man
07-08-2021, 10:15 PM
Thank you. Unfortunately I didn’t apply for my PAL/RPAL recently, it was last October when the average wait was 4-5 months. Though I’ve been waiting over 8 months now. I had made the grave error of not submitting my photo on photo paper in the first instance which delayed my application by months. Hindsight is 20/20! ;) I’m hoping it will be soon now that my application is with the CFO. I’ve been checking online several times a day for a LONG time now. :(

oh I See. Yes I heard of few people with a similar situation, I don't check the thread on cgn anymore though since I got my upgrade approved. My suggestion is to call in and ask if there is anything else that is holding it up. IMO it should've been by now. Mine was 2 weeks longer than a friend of mine because I had a box ticked [the layoff box] and my explanation was "due to the covid 19 and seasonal nature of my job I have had intermittent layoffs in the past 2 years" so I was set aside until they contacted me to discuss my 'seasonal layoff' to ensure that they never caused financial hardship. IMO unless there is something else holding it up you should be g2g by now. I was seeing on CGN that around the time I was approved the process had really sped up for most people.

JeffT
07-08-2021, 11:02 PM
oh I See. Yes I heard of few people with a similar situation, I don't check the thread on cgn anymore though since I got my upgrade approved. My suggestion is to call in and ask if there is anything else that is holding it up. IMO it should've been by now. Mine was 2 weeks longer than a friend of mine because I had a box ticked [the layoff box] and my explanation was "due to the covid 19 and seasonal nature of my job I have had intermittent layoffs in the past 2 years" so I was set aside until they contacted me to discuss my 'seasonal layoff' to ensure that they never caused financial hardship. IMO unless there is something else holding it up you should be g2g by now. I was seeing on CGN that around the time I was approved the process had really sped up for most people.

I phoned last at the end of June and they advised to phone back at the end of July. Hopefully it will be approved before then! :)

SIR VEYOR
07-09-2021, 05:22 AM
If you have the reference number from checking online, have your references call in with that number. When they call people it’s “unknown caller” and typically nobody leaves the names right in their voicemail to allow them to leave a message. That’s a typical bottleneck.

GTW
07-09-2021, 10:20 AM
Just completed the paperwork and photo to renew my 92 year old father’s PAL, which he let expire. Fortunately he has no firearms at this point. Or so he tells me. He’s part of the “it’s none of the government’s damn business” era.
He wasn’t going to renew, but recently decided he wasn’t going to abandon the fight or his freedom to use a long gun to as he puts it - that “f^%king Trudeau” even if he never shoots or hunts again. Anyway, today is July 9 2021, I’ll advise when he gets it. Likely take about 7 months now due to the now in force “lifetime background checks” which we all know make us soooo much safer. He also said he feels like he just made some Liberal snowflake cry.

RangeBob
07-09-2021, 02:58 PM
92 year old father’s PAL, ... “lifetime background checks”

Born around 1929.

Computer records are pretty good after 1998.

Criminal convictions are pretty good on computer, at least after 1970. But anything else computerized is probably shaky between 1970 and 1998.

My bet is anything other than convictions before 1960 isn't computerized.

Doing do diligence on a 'lifetime' ought to be fun for some Canadian Firearms Program employee. They could spend a lifetime at it.

Big-Boss-Man
07-09-2021, 03:06 PM
If you have the reference number from checking online, have your references call in with that number. When they call people it’s “unknown caller” and typically nobody leaves the names right in their voicemail to allow them to leave a message. That’s a typical bottleneck.

from what I saw on the CGN thread and my own experience references aren't being contacted ATM.

SIR VEYOR
07-09-2021, 03:14 PM
from what I saw on the CGN thread and my own experience references aren't being contacted ATM.

Entirely possible, but if he’s got a stalled application check all possible boxes. That is/was a frequent delay. If you’ve got anything else he can try to check to move it along, enlighten us. Slow processing and how to speed it up is why the CGN thread and ones like this exist.

The phone call/message problem might even be affecting calls to him depending on what his voicemail says for leaving a message.

Big-Boss-Man
07-09-2021, 04:06 PM
Entirely possible, but if he’s got a stalled application check all possible boxes. That is/was a frequent delay. If you’ve got anything else he can try to check to move it along, enlighten us. Slow processing and how to speed it up is why the CGN thread and ones like this exist.

The phone call/message problem might even be affecting calls to him depending on what his voicemail says for leaving a message.

I agree there is SOMETHING holding it up, and it could be the ref check, but like I said I don't think they are even checking them (at least mine weren't contacted 2 months ago, along with everyone on the cgn thread up to that point)

GTW
07-09-2021, 08:55 PM
Entirely possible, but if he’s got a stalled application check all possible boxes.
This is true. I once had a renewal held up because I checked off the mailing address was the same as the billing address ( or vice versa), but didn’t fill out the same address in the billing fields. Guess they can’t read their own forms.

JeffT
07-13-2021, 10:07 PM
I phoned last at the end of June and they advised to phone back at the end of July. Hopefully it will be approved before then! :)

I saw on CGN someone had called their CFO office yesterday and their application was approved after doing so. So I got the # from same (we’re both from B.C.) and thought I’d try calling as I had nothing to lose. I got through today on my second attempt and was asked a couple questions and was advised my background check was clear and they’d work to finalize my application. Within 1-2 hours of that phone call my application was APPROVED! FINALLY! After almost NINE MONTHS! I’m so happy and relieved. I’ve been researching firearms for nearly a year now so it’s fantastic I’ll actually be able to purchase and enjoy them now! :) Thanks all.

Big-Boss-Man
07-14-2021, 01:43 AM
congrats. Do you know if the contacted your references, I am wondering if they getting back to it again?

JeffT
07-14-2021, 08:26 AM
congrats. Do you know if the contacted your references, I am wondering if they getting back to it again?

Thanks. No I’m not aware if they were contacted or not.

JeffT
07-16-2021, 03:11 PM

I checked and they were NOT contacted.

JeffT
07-30-2021, 04:10 PM
My card FINALLY came in the mail this morning! What a brutal wait! Now I can shop and shoot. :)

luckychingi
08-27-2021, 01:22 PM
Hello everyone.

I wanted to know if anyone has recently applied for PAL?

I have started the process this month and wanted to know what to expect

RCMP site says there is a 4 months delay :(

SIR VEYOR
08-27-2021, 04:21 PM
Hello everyone.

Online renewal was under 3 weeks, maybe even under 2….

Big-Boss-Man
08-27-2021, 06:48 PM
Hello everyone.

here is the most recent timeline posted at the other forum:

BC applicant
PAL & RPAL

course taken: May 30, 2021
received: 28 june, 2021
CC charged: 8 july, 2021 and showed up online.
Approved: 11 August
Called CFP BC, was put on hold for 2 mins and approved on call.

Waiting for card in mail

as I was going to through the process I was seeing that Ontario application were getting approved very quickly after CC charge. [I upgraded to RPAL last October took 6ish months]

luckychingi
08-27-2021, 07:31 PM
Thanks @Big-Boss-Man

here is the most recent timeline posted at the other forum:

as I was going to through the process I was seeing that Ontario application were getting approved very quickly after CC charge. [I upgraded to RPAL last October took 6ish months]

luckychingi
08-27-2021, 07:31 PM
Thanks @SIR VEYOR

Online renewal was under 3 weeks, maybe even under 2….

luckychingi
10-07-2021, 10:08 AM
For all new PAL Applicants from Ontario, here's my timeline

Mailed: 2021 Aug 23
Delivered: 2021 Aug 26
CC Charged: 2021 Sep 10
Called CFO ON: 2021 Oct 07

Lover Of Auroras
12-09-2021, 10:04 AM
Nice luckychingi!

Big-Boss-Man
12-09-2021, 12:29 PM
Application has been physically delivered to the P.O Box today (December 9 for posterity). How long should I expect to wait for it to be visible online (I also paid with certified cheque)?

(Am also an ON Applicant if that helps)

it was 4-6 months not all that long ago, but it appears the timelines are speeding up again. post above yours was what 2 weeks [Aug 26-Sept 10] to show online. Typically when they charge the cc it is online. Don't forget you will also have the mandatory wait time too, so you will not see an approval for a month at least.

PixInTheSix
12-14-2021, 09:18 PM
I mailed mine on Nov 18. No activity as yet.

awndray
12-14-2021, 10:06 PM
Patience. There's a 4 month delay. Minimum.

PixInTheSix
12-14-2021, 10:20 PM
Patience. There's a 4 month delay. Minimum.

Oh, I'm patient. I've heard anecdotal stories ranging anywhere from 29 days to over a year. The longer the wait, the more time I have for virtual window shopping to build my first handgun with aftermarket stuff.

SIR VEYOR
12-15-2021, 07:39 AM
Oh, I'm patient. I've heard anecdotal stories ranging anywhere from 29 days to over a year. The longer the wait, the more time I have for virtual window shopping to build my first handgun with aftermarket stuff.

Once you can check online for your reference number, you can call in to see if there’s a holdup.

awndray
12-15-2021, 08:06 AM
Which will no doubt make them move your application to the bottom of the pile.

Big-Boss-Man
12-15-2021, 01:29 PM
Which will no doubt make them move your application to the bottom of the pile.

not really. I called to find out that I had under paid [I paid the reduced upgrade amount which is a 'limited time offer'], it saved me about 3 weeks waiting on the snail mail letter, a second call let me know they needed further information about my check box [the layoff question] approved on the phone that time.

PixInTheSix
12-15-2021, 11:51 PM
Once you can check online for your reference number, you can call in to see if there’s a holdup.

I've been attempting to log in/check status every 3-4 days for the past couple of weeks (total checks as of today, maybe 1/2 doz), but I keep getting '...no information that matches...check at a later date...'

I figure it's just sitting in the stack in someone's in-tray making its way to the top of the pile.

SIR VEYOR
12-16-2021, 09:56 AM
I've been attempting to log in/check status every 3-4 days for the past couple of weeks (total checks as of today, maybe 1/2 doz), but I keep getting '...no information that matches...check at a later date...'

I figure it's just sitting in the stack in someone's in-tray making its way to the top of the pile.

You mailed it Nov 18 you said. So 30days, plus a week minimum. So expect the first week of January to be the earliest showing for a first time application. More with essentially a week off in there.

PixInTheSix
12-16-2021, 12:47 PM
You mailed it Nov 18 you said. So 30days, plus a week minimum. So expect the first week of January to be the earliest showing for a first time application. More with essentially a week off in there.

Perhaps I misunderstood; I am aware of the waiting period, however I thought that was simply the minimum time before an application could be approved, not how long I'd have to wait before it showed up 'in the system' and I could see the status online; I'd have thought I'd see 'Pending' or something rather than my application not existing yet.

Big-Boss-Man
12-16-2021, 03:21 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood; I am aware of the waiting period, however I thought that was simply the minimum time before an application could be approved, not how long I'd have to wait before it showed up 'in the system' and I could see the status online; I'd have thought I'd see 'Pending' or something rather than my application not existing yet.

this post is the most recent from Ontario:

it appears to be about 14 days from arrival at rcmp to 'showing online' [it shows when the cc is charged] then they were approved almost a month later. That is about the best infor you are going to get, the RCMP will tell you up to 4 months due to Covid.

https://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php/2690-PAL-RPAL-Timelines?p=898036&viewfull=1#post898036

Edit: you said you mailed on Nov 18th, did you send it registered mail? That will effect everything too. [will take longer to even arrive in NB if not usually]

PixInTheSix
12-16-2021, 09:25 PM
Edit: you said you mailed on Nov 18th, did you send it registered mail? That will effect everything too. [will take longer to even arrive in NB if not usually]

I sent it regular mail; it didn't even occur to me to send it registered to be honest. Registered or not though, it would still only take a couple of days to get from Toronto to Miramichi.

I'm not wound up about not seeing my application status, I'm just trying to get a handle on the process. None of my friends are interested or involved in shooting sports or guns in general, so this seemed like the best place to learn the ins & outs of the way it all works.

Based on the timeline that you linked to, it would be reasonable for me to call and ask for an update a month after my cc is charged?

RangeBob
12-16-2021, 09:28 PM
If they charged the credit card,
they must have got it.
(i.e. credit card is thus effectively equivalent to registered mail notification)

Big-Boss-Man
12-17-2021, 01:07 PM
imo it is reasonable to call after it shows online to see if anything is missing, if nothing is missing they will probably give an answer of 'it is in process call us back in a month if you haven't heard anything' but if this is your first attempt at a license you can call once it shows online to ensure you crossed all the t's and dotted all the I's but then you may as well wait until 1 month after because the mandatory wait period. When I first applied years ago I was approved as soon as my wait period ran out.

PixInTheSix
12-29-2021, 01:48 PM
Update;

Application mailed: Nov 18
Application rec'd: Nov 24
CC charged: Dec 29 (today)

I'll wait until we're a couple of weeks into January to call if there's no additional updates to my online application status.

Lover Of Auroras
01-24-2022, 09:20 AM
Typical government behaviour...

PixInTheSix
03-03-2022, 10:06 PM
Final timeline;

Nov 24 - Rec'd by CFP/RCMP in Miramichi
Dec 29 - Credit card charged
Jan 27 - Application sent to CFO-ON
Mar 03 - License issued

Lover Of Auroras
03-17-2022, 10:12 AM
The Ontario CFO is a joke.

bobbybirds
04-25-2022, 12:44 PM
Just keeping everyone up on times... I submitted for an RPAL back in early January. This was not a renewal technically but a new issue. I previously held an FAC back in the 90's/early 2000's that expired in 2001 but never ever held a PAL.

I never had to redo the courses as back when I did mine in 95/96 time frame the one course covered you for both non-restricted and restricted, and after a call to the RCMP to confirm, they did agree my original course was still valid to submit for an RPAL as is so I went ahead and did that.

Logging in online it showed them receiving my application on Jan 14/2022. On March 10 it showed that the initial review had begun and I would only be contacted if there were any issues with my application. Today, April 25 I logged in and it now says my license has been processed and issued and I should see it within two weeks, so basically just under 3.5 months from start to finish.

Homme007
06-13-2022, 08:44 PM
I did my PAL/RPAL test back in 12/20/21 and just got mine card today. 06/13.. that's about 6 months!!