PDA

View Full Version : Live in Vancouver? Pick up Metro on December 3rd!

Calibre
11-05-2015, 11:53 PM
A couple weeks ago we started our media outreach program. Since then, we've been working with a few local media outlets to bring about some positive press coverage of the firearms hobby and shooting sports in Canada, and we are EXTREMELY excited to announce that come December 3rd we will see the first result of this effort. It'll be taking the form of a 10+ page special feature in Metro newspaper here in Vancouver, and depending on the reaction and success of the story, we've been told it may roll out nationally. This special feature will include profiles of gun owners and the various activities we all participate in, from hunting to 3-Gun, as well as a complete run-down of how the licensing process works and how firearms are legally obtained, stored, transported and used.

The goal here is to try and start a movement towards positive reporting of firearms content in the mainstream media with two goals: 1) to increase the amount of licensed individuals out there by finally showing people how diverse, friendly, and enjoyable our hobby is, and 2) to showcase the existing legal structure we all must endure in the hopes that a better understanding of existing law will allow for the creation of better law in the future. In short, if people knew we needed to A) spend two days and a couple hundred bucks on a class and pass four competency tests, B) wait 28 days to 6 months to get a license, C) spend hundreds on a gun, case, and pair of locks, D) wait 1-12 weeks to get permission to own it, E) obtain permission from the RCMP to take it home via the prescribed route and time of day, F) lock it and stick it in a locked case, G) only ever take it to one of a handful of acceptable locations, then perhaps the general public would start to realize a lack of gun control is not to blame for gun violence. Once we've got the public to the point of accepting that more laws will not solve the problem, then we can start pointing out the vagaries and stupider portions of the law, while simultaneously planting the seed of "if more gun control isn't fixing the problem, could less help?"

Honestly, the response from the local industry guys here in Vancouver has been HUGE. The level of support this article is getting from the ad perspective has blown the Metro guys away; last I checked we were sitting at 10 pages AND STILL COUNTING! From the level of excitement these guys are showing, I think we might actually see a change in the way newspapers treat gun media, if only because it's a great way for the cash-strapped newspapers to make money! It sounds stupid to say this, but really, I am personally so happy to see these guys at Metro getting this sort of response and it makes me proud to be part of this industry. I'll have more to say after the fact, and should have some stuff you guys can all do to sort of replicate this effort on a smaller (and simultaneously larger) scale, but for now I just wanted to give everyone a head's up because this is really exciting and I wanted to share it.

kennymo
11-06-2015, 12:08 AM
Great news! (Pun intended)

Between you guys and CCFR I hope there's much, much more of this sort of thing in the near future. Keep us posted if you hear of local rollout, I'll gladly buy a paper with some positive news in it for a change.....

Calibre
11-06-2015, 12:16 AM
Well, from what we've been told, Metro sort of expected this to be less than half as well supported as it was. So, given our early talks basically hinged on the notion that Vancouver would be a sort of test-case for a national gun feature, it seems pretty likely that Metro will follow up with national coverage by using the Vancouver feature as a blueprint for the same feature in their other markets.

We're also talking to some tv folks (CTV and CBC), and radio. Basically we're doing our own experiments to find out what works to convince these guys of the validity of an apolitical, unbiased expose on gun laws in Canada, and then what sort of talking points get the most traction. Once we have a framework of our own, we'll make it public, so everyone can use it in their own local market to increase the visibility of gun owners nationwide. Imagine if the provincial IPSC championship was on the cover of the local paper, or being covered by the local radio stations... or if the annual charity pumpkin shoot was? We've got a lot of stuff we can leverage into good news content, we're just trying to figure out the best way to do that!

Oh, and most of all, thanks for the kind words!

Foxer
11-06-2015, 12:49 AM
and depending on the reaction and success of the story,

Well boys - i daresay we better have a hand in that reaction.

Make sure everyone reads the story. It'll be available on line if you don't live here. Then we have to encourage every person - gun owner or not- to write a letter and show their approval of this. We'll prep a little before it but there can be no doubt - we'll want to get ever single letter we can in.

Foxer
11-06-2015, 12:50 AM
Jeeebus caliber - that's amazing work! Between this and some of the things rod's new org is cooking up - we could have some of the strongest public relations work done that we've seen in the better part of a decade. THat's amazing.

Calibre
11-06-2015, 01:01 AM
The real kicker? Metro is owned by the Trawna Star!

But 100% agreed; we'll be circulating the hell out of the story online and ensuring as many people as we can convince to do so write in to say "thanks for writing an unbiased article, I really enjoyed it."

And I agree. I don't know precisely what Rod has planned, but I can definitely say that I've yet to find a media outlet that won't play ball with what we're proposing. The really hard part is going to be trying to get other gun owners to pick up the torch and run with it in their local markets... sadly my own time is limited, so I can't do it all, but I hope that people will start to realize that change isn't brought about through the collective effort of thousands of people but rather the individual efforts of a thousand people collectively.

Foxer
11-06-2015, 01:17 AM
change isn't brought about through the collective effort of thousands of people but rather the individual efforts of a thousand people collectively. That's actually a pretty awesome line. i might steal that from time to time :)

Calibre
11-06-2015, 01:25 AM
That's actually a pretty awesome line. i might steal that from time to time :)

Go to town! Although I edited it slightly because I threw an extra "S" in there that sorta screwed it up! Makes more sense with "collective effort of thousands of people" rather than efforts.

What can I say, I'm absolutely exhausted, and I make terrible typos even at the best of the times!

Gaidheal
11-06-2015, 08:02 AM
The real kicker? Metro is owned by the Trawna Star!

But 100% agreed; we'll be circulating the hell out of the story online and ensuring as many people as we can convince to do so write in to say "thanks for writing an unbiased article, I really enjoyed it."

And I agree. I don't know precisely what Rod has planned, but I can definitely say that I've yet to find a media outlet that won't play ball with what we're proposing. The really hard part is going to be trying to get other gun owners to pick up the torch and run with it in their local markets... sadly my own time is limited, so I can't do it all, but I hope that people will start to realize that change isn't brought about through the collective effort of thousands of people but rather the individual efforts of a thousand people collectively.

Let me know what I can do here on PEI... we have roughly 7000 license holders here (that's 5% of the population). We are a small market, but a market none the less!

Foxer
11-06-2015, 09:59 AM
What can I say, I'm absolutely exhausted, and I make terrible typos even at the best of the times!

NO EXCUSES!!! Boys - get a rope....

Seriously - thanks for your efforts in this, it is much much needed.

Mr.Crumbz
11-06-2015, 06:59 PM
That's great! I can't wait to read it! Hopefully it makes a good impact; I think it should once the people realize we are your everyday normal people, and this just happens to be something we enjoy and do so responsibly.

Defenstrator
11-09-2015, 03:54 PM
I'll be getting a friend to pick me up a copy.

SIR VEYOR
12-02-2015, 09:00 PM
we are EXTREMELY excited to announce that come December 3rd we will see the first result of this effort. It'll be taking the form of a 10+ page special feature in Metro newspaper here in Vancouver, and depending on the reaction and success of the story, we've been told it may roll out nationally.

The level of support this article is getting from the ad perspective has blown the Metro guys away; last I checked we were sitting at 10 pages AND STILL COUNTING!

And is this still coming out on schedule?

And the inevitable on-line link...

Calibre
12-04-2015, 11:09 PM
Just an FYI, the article was delayed due to the San Bernardino shooting. As soon as we have a new date we will let everybody know!

Also, in case anyone is on Instagram, as part of our big winter push to make our online experience better, we have finally signed up so follow us as @calibremagazine on insta for behind the scenes at a gun magazine.

I'll warn you, it isn't pretty.

And by "it" I mean me.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Foxer
12-05-2015, 01:47 AM
Just an FYI, the article was delayed due to the San Bernardino shooting. As soon as we have a new date we will let everybody know!I wondered if they were going to do that. I mean obviously it's the smart move. The shootings didn't cause a huge stir up here but still. (amusingly i haven't heard one co-worker even mention the shootings).

I'll warn you, it isn't pretty.

And by "it" I mean me.

We knew what you meant. :)

hillbillyr
12-05-2015, 08:26 AM
Followed and on twitter
Thank you for all your work :cheers:

Waynetheman
12-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Ah good to know I didn't miss it. I went to look for a copy in a couple different places and the box was empty.