PDA

View Full Version : The .300 Whimper....The new KING???

M.T. Chambers
06-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Okay, I have a "potentially" very accurate Rem. 700, that has been really done up, action bushed and squared, PGW bolt w/fast strike f.p., Jewel 2 oz. benchrest trigger, Gaillard barrel, etc....Actually this is the second barrel, the first was a Pacnor, all chambered to the .300 "Whisper". It has never shot the way i believe it should, not even close to a .30 BR that I have done up similarly and of course, all i shoot is cast bullets. So today I tried breech seating plain based bullets, what a difference!!!! Small groups, and subsonic speeds(avg. 1050fps), previously accuracy increased as the speed was increased to over 1600fps.....And yes this is also the .300 Blackout or some such, but because of my breechseating I'm dubbing it the .300 Whimper. I'll shoot gophers with it this weekend and try diff. loads before selling all my other rifles, and report my findings.

Rory McCanuck
07-01-2012, 01:14 PM
".300 Whimper" heh. Had me chuckling with that, maybe not the best marketing ploy?
Do you think giving the gas a chance to slam into the base obdurates it better?
Or is it just that you can hand seat them better?
Sounds like a fun project, and good to see you get a rifle shooting better.

M.T. Chambers
07-01-2012, 06:55 PM
The breech seating has proven so accurate in the 25/20 SS, the 32/40, .33/47, and 32 Miller Short, that I got looking at the Whisper case and it sure is very similar to some of those others, except for the small shoulder. The CPA 32/20 is also very similar, with the long bullets and faster twist. I keep thinking of that CBA group record of .154" at 100 yds. in competition with plain base cast bullets, breech seated, as I've not come close with fixed cast ammo. I'll be playin' with this all summer now!