PDA

View Full Version : Rexall Place shutdown, need regular day work asap

Steveo9mm
11-22-2015, 10:55 AM
Some of you may know I have been working primarily at rexall place for the past 5 years. It will be shutting down at the end of this season and the effects are already being felt with its workers. the Edmonton Rush has moved to Saskatoon, there is no more curling events, small shows for kids like the dinosaur shows have been rebooked to expo center. there is nothing more than the odd oilkings a bunch of oilers and if your lucky, 1 concert a month. i dont expect either team to make playoffs this year.

we are working 14-16 days out of a month and its starting to take its toll. short of eating rice and ketchup this past summer, ive had to sell off 90% of my guns and personal belongings just to make ends meet. this is due to a management system that makes promises and then never remembers the small ppl.

hence forth if there is any work out there thats more full time and day shift let me know and ill PM my resume. Ive been working nights for 5 years and I am starting to look like gollum

SIR VEYOR
11-22-2015, 11:50 AM
NWR - busses you there
GFS warehouse
Signs around Edmonton, some say yes for hiring
LaborReady and a couple others like it. Maybe not regular but gets you into places that'll pick you up once they get a read on you.

Any $$ requirements or special human tricks you know?

blacksmithden
11-22-2015, 01:29 PM
NWR - busses you there
GFS warehouse
Signs around Edmonton, some say yes for hiring
LaborReady and a couple others like it. Maybe not regular but gets you into places that'll pick you up once they get a read on you.

Any $$ requirements or special human tricks you know?

Yep...without all the finer details of your resume (yet), give us something to go on....got a trade certificate, accounting degree, or any grave digging experience ? What's your focus ?

conger
11-22-2015, 01:48 PM
I feel your pain Steve. Got hurt at work some time ago. Had to have an operation to repair damage. Which I waited almost three years for. Now ready to work again but no jobs for electricians. Or there's 500 people applying for any openings.
Currently looking outside Canada for a position.
Sign of the times to come.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

blacksmithden
11-22-2015, 02:24 PM
I feel your pain Steve. Got hurt at work some time ago. Had to have an operation to repair damage. Which I waited almost three years for. Now ready to work again but no jobs for electricians. Or there's 500 people applying for any openings.
Currently looking outside Canada for a position.
Sign of the times to come.

I've been trying to get a welder buddy work for pretty much 6 months now. No luck so far. This is one of those times when I'm glad I chose heavy equipment and chose to stay with the company I'm with. It's not glorious by any means. Dirty, heavy, noisy, and sometimes very stressful. Either you're dying of the heat or freezing your butt off. Imagine having to remember the safety procedures for 50 different sites, and you have to be able to get along with everyone....but I'm busy. If you see me saying that I'm out of work, worry....worry lots.

conger
11-22-2015, 02:30 PM
I've been trying to get a welder buddy work for pretty much 6 months now. No luck so far. This is one of those times when I'm glad I chose heavy equipment and chose to stay with the company I'm with. It's not glorious by any means. Dirty, heavy, and either you're dying of the heat or freezing your butt off....but I'm busy. If you see me saying that there's no work, worry....worry lots.
I heard of a welding shop in Edmonton went from 28 busy guys to 3 not so busy guys. Time period over three months when contracts are cancelled.
There are some big projects on the go, but they already have their people working them.

firemachine69
11-22-2015, 06:22 PM
Soooo... What's your job, exactly?

Steveo9mm
11-22-2015, 06:26 PM
In a nutshell, was a european cook for 22 years, security, a painter for 2 years and a supervisor at UofA and northlands for 14 years. Mostly labour stuff. Nothing fancy.

All the tickets i have are for security. Wich is pretty much part time or on call at best.

Im a pro at steamcleaning and waxing floors. Have certificates in those. Pressure washing as well but even a donkey can do that. But id like to see a donkey pressure wash a stadium after a rodeo.

Steveo9mm
11-22-2015, 06:35 PM
There is a chance our company will get the new stadium but im not holding my breath. Katz had some pretty unusual expectations as far as the contracts are looking. Hes leaning toward american companys to service the new arena.

SIR VEYOR
11-22-2015, 07:45 PM
There is a chance our company will get the new stadium but im not holding my breath. Katz had some pretty unusual expectations as far as the contracts are looking. Hes leaning toward american companys to service the new arena.

Well, when economy's down it's a buyers market. As for other companies, remember that the name may change, but typically all the front line and most middle to top stay the same. And an out of town company won't be moving too many people in when bodies are east to get....

If out of town on rotations are OK, there's a couple camp service companies that seem to be getting a lot of market share lately, so they should need people. Especially if you've still got the chops for big kitchens.

RumbleRo
04-24-2016, 11:33 PM
All the tickets i have are for security. Wich is pretty much part time or on call at best.

Seen a lot of security roles on kijiji, also asking for those with tickets. Give that a search.

Been looking for extra work myself, doing shorter shifts and getting paid less on road builders agreement, industrial rates dont seem to be standard for a lot of jobs in town for now (seems like only NWR is industrial, at least from what Ive heard and for the time being).

RimfireFans
04-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Security isn't the greatest job, but it's a job and it's typically regular hours.

Apply online at the big 3, Securitas, G4S and Garda, full time isn't too hard to get.