PDA

View Full Version : Harrington & Richardson

Swampdonkey
11-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Are they having production problems? I can't find any in stock.

jwirecom109
11-23-2015, 09:56 PM
From my understanding earlier this year the freedom group closed H&R's doors

Gunexpert007
11-23-2015, 11:01 PM
A LGS told me that H and R production facilities are being moved to another state......and production will resume once everything is up and running again . The H and R website is still up.....

Swampdonkey
11-23-2015, 11:19 PM
I don't know what to say. It's like hearing one of my roughnecks died on days off.

I can't believe I flipped so many. They should've been on the shelf long after the SKS became a collectable. I counted on it; there was no reason to think otherwise.

Foxer
11-24-2015, 12:51 AM
A LGS told me that H and R production facilities are being moved to another state......and production will resume once everything is up and running again . The H and R website is still up.....

As near as I can tell, they're done. It wouldn't surprise me if someone somewhere revived them at some point but looks like they're done for now. It's kind of sad, but lets face it for a few bucks more there's a lot of bolt actions on the market these days and i don't know how well they were selling. Looks like "Freedom' wanted to slim down a little and while H&R wasn't failing it wasn't very profitable either.

Justice
11-24-2015, 11:11 AM
There's nothing on any H&R site or any up roar on-line about H&R closing. As mentioned, the HR1871 is up and running.

Foxer
11-24-2015, 11:20 AM
There's nothing on any H&R site or any up roar on-line about H&R closing. As mentioned, the HR1871 is up and running.

I know. But if you call their customer service line they'll tell you they're shut down. Websites often lag, and perhaps they're still hoping for someone to make them an offer. I haven't heard of anyone snapping them up or moving the gear.

awndray
11-24-2015, 11:47 AM

You will also notice that there have been no news updates since 2008/2009, when they (Remington) were taken over by Marlin and then later by Freedom Group.

H&R 1871 production stopped in February 2015.

kennymo
11-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Epps seemed to have a few in stock well after the closure, but a quick search shows those are all gone now too. I'd had a hankering for one of their 45 Colt carbines.....maybe I'll need to get my hands on a rolling block reproduction instead.

Kenwp
11-24-2015, 06:11 PM
I wanted one in 243 but never had a chance to ever buy one. Maybe one will show up one of these days. Impossible to buy online as everybody wants to use EMT crap to pay for things.

Swampdonkey
11-24-2015, 11:05 PM
Is there anywhere with remaining stock?

Foxer
11-25-2015, 09:44 AM

Your best bet will be to check the little mom and pop shops around. Like Stillwater sports in ladner, stuff like that. Those little hole in the wall shooting/fishing stores don't advertise on the web and such and often have the last of the stock when this kind of thing happens. It means picking up the phone and making a few calls but that's the best chance of finding something.

kennymo
11-25-2015, 09:53 AM

Epps was the last place I knew of with any sort of quantity and that seems wiped out now. The local Cabela's had a 45/70 on the shelf forever, it was missing the sights somehow, and they were only offering $15 or $20 off regular price so I'd let it slide at the time. Not sure if it's still there or not, maybe I'll peek next time I'm through....
But as Foxer suggests, you're not likely to find one outside of a small shop that has one kicking in the back room. I think it's been around a year since they stopped shipping them from the factory at this point.... Gently used might be the best bet. Or save up for something a touch more pricey. CVA had put out a break action swap barrel to compete with the Encore....not sure how that's doing....

Foxer
11-25-2015, 09:59 AM
I think it's been around a year since they stopped shipping them from the factory at this point.February of this year they stopped shipping - but that was in the states and who knows when the last shipments to canada happened, there might not have been any more even before that.

kennymo
11-25-2015, 10:02 AM
February of this year they stopped shipping - but that was in the states and who knows when the last shipments to canada happened, there might not have been any more even before that.

I said 'around' a year.....:p

IIRC the announcement came in the first month or so of last year, so seems about right.

Foxer
11-25-2015, 10:22 AM
I said 'around' a year....NOT close enough! I'm channeling Sheldon Cooper at the moment.

Anyway - it's been a while and since it was announced people have been snapping them up, so i suspect most of the 'usual suspects' will be sold out by now. I hope they bring it back, i've actually got a customized one being sent to me right now that i'm excited about. Great little 'project' guns.

Kenwp
11-25-2015, 08:04 PM
I bought my old HR rifle from the original company at a gun store in Calgary back in the 80s. It had sat there for a long time and I was buying some other stuff and mentioned that I was considering buying it. He told me to put a 1 in front of the amount on my cheque and it was mine. It's a heavy rifle for a 44 mag and what the ramrod is for is anybody's idea.