PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in and around Calgary

Lazagna
12-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Being new to the sport, I'm interested in what I should do to get in to the sport with the family. Me, wife and 11.5 year old son.

I have shot rifles and pistols on ocation, but it was always in organized group events like shooting a .22 pistol during City Chase, or shotgun during a youth event with AHEIA etc.

Where can I shoot, other than getting a membership at a range?

What ranges are preferred?

What ranges are not good?

Indoor vs outdoor ranges, what exists here?

I have several firearms, (air rifle, .22, .303, single barrel hinge action shotgun, and two air pistols). How should I start?

Anything else I should know?

I don't have my PAL yet as I inherited my firearms when my father passed away, so they are locked in my new safe and I have no ammunition. I take my course in a couple weeks, and with the time it takes to get the PAL, I have lots of time for this discussion.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z2 using Tapatalk

harbl_the_cat
12-07-2015, 01:29 PM
There are public ranges around Sibbald flats that are getting shut down at the end of this year.

Shooting has become so popular in and around Calgary recently that the facilities have had a hard time keeping up. Unfortunately, there are no

Personally, I'm a director with the Buffalo Target Shooters association (also in Sibbald flats) and we've had our membership and growth explode in the past 4 years. I believe we're cutting our membership dues this year and improving our range access. I run our youth and 3-gun programs, and in the coming year we are really looking to expand, including new range construction/improvement.

Indoors, there's Calgary Shooting Centre and The Shooting Edge - both very good facilities, although I prefer TSE's 50 yard rifle range (but CSC's cinema range is very impressive). Membership is pricey for both ranges, but I think the value added is worth it. There is nowhere within 30 - 45 minutes of most parts of the city to shoot at, so the commute time alone makes it worth while if you shoot often enough.

jwirecom109
12-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Outdoors -> www.cdtsa.ca/

Lazagna
12-07-2015, 01:41 PM
I'm not worried about commute times as this is not something I'll be making my main sport or activity. I know there is a range in Kananaskis that is sitting down due to lack of care for the facility, that's not too far a drive for me because, like I said, it won't be too often.

Lazagna
12-07-2015, 01:55 PM
I'm also interested in how to go about training myself and family on shooting. Is there a good way to start, references online or other places that would be a good read?

Lazagna
12-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Or another question, is there a cheaper way to shoot sporadically than joining a range?

harbl_the_cat
12-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Or another question, is there a cheaper way to shoot sporadically than joining a range?

Some clubs (mine included) have drop in programs.

Conversely, you can buy a day pass at clubs like TSE or CSC to shoot for just a day.

How often are you looking to shoot?

Lazagna
12-07-2015, 03:41 PM
Some clubs (mine included) have drop in programs.

Conversely, you can buy a day pass at clubs like TSE or CSC to shoot for just a day.

How often are you looking to shoot?
I'm guessing no more than once or twice a month, but then if we get hooked, we can always go more and get memberships

Lazagna
12-07-2015, 03:42 PM
Harbl, what club are you?

jwirecom109
12-07-2015, 04:02 PM
shooting indoors twice a month warrants a membership.
If you join a club like CDTSA you can get a family membership that cuts down your costs considerably. Though its outdoors, you do have two ranges to be able to use. One in Calgary SE very well maintained and 100 yards max and one south of calgary that is 500 meters max

mavrik9
12-07-2015, 05:09 PM
I'm a member at the drumheller outdoor range. It's 25-300 yard rifle, and a separate pistol range. They also have an archery range. I believe it's around the $100 a year mark. If you are interested in that range I could take you out there to check it out.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Lazagna
12-07-2015, 05:17 PM
I'm a member at the drumheller outdoor range. It's 25-300 yard rifle, and a separate pistol range. They also have an archery range. I believe it's around the $100 a year mark. If you are interested in that range I could take you out there to check it out.

That might be a little too far!

mavrik9
12-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Ya it's about 1.5 hrs from calgary

VooDoo
12-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Check out this review from TVPP:

https://youtu.be/t8hrjS-knOY

jwirecom109
12-14-2015, 02:19 PM
Check out this review from TVPP:

https://youtu.be/t8hrjS-knOY

Milo is the 2nd Range attached to a CDTSA membership

Lazagna
12-14-2015, 03:00 PM
I like this! May have to get a friend or two to invite me out eventually to try it out.