PDA

View Full Version : Tang vs Receiver Peep

lone-wolf
12-09-2015, 03:43 PM
I'm thinking this year, I will change the sights on my 9422m to either a rear peep, probably skinner or a tang mounted one - like marbles.
I know from experience, I like the receiver mounted peep sights.
I have never used a tang sight before, but they look like they bleed coolness, especially in a lever action.
Are they just as quick and easy to use as their receiver mounted cousins?

Edenchef
12-09-2015, 04:07 PM
IMHO, Tang mounts are easier/faster to adjust and more accurate because of the increased sight radius. And yes, way cooler on a period style gun, serious "Quigley" factor.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u539/Edenchef/Buffy001_zpsd53f9189.jpg (http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/Edenchef/media/Buffy001_zpsd53f9189.jpg.html)

Rory McCanuck
12-09-2015, 04:30 PM
Tang sights look cooler, and might get you an extra 3"(?) of sight radius, but they are a pokey-up bit right where your thumb goes. On something like Edenchef's oh-so-pretty Quigley single shot maybe it isn't such a big deal?
I know I've handled a couple of '94s with tang sights, and they weren't cumbersome or really even awkward, but it was 'different'. Maybe with some time with it, I'd get used to it, but I haven't had accasion to.
They also look right at home on a Savage 99.

lone-wolf
12-09-2015, 04:33 PM
but they are a pokey-up bit right where your thumb goes.

That's pretty much why I ask. I can't handle one, so I don't know if that's going to be annoying or not.

Edenchef
12-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Tang sights look cooler, and might get you an extra 3"(?) of sight radius, but they are a pokey-up bit right where your thumb goes. On something like Edenchef's oh-so-pretty Quigley single shot maybe it isn't such a big deal?

I don't find that it gets in the way of my thumb at all, with my grip it sits right in front of it.

PS. Bought her a 26 inch brass Malcom scope for Christmas....my damn eyes are just not improving with age. Will post pictures when it arrives. ;D

Rory McCanuck
12-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Bought her a 26 inch brass Malcom scope for Christmas....my damn eyes are not improving with age.
Ooooohhh...
I'm sure your eyes are good enough to put up a pic though (hint hint)

Uh, back to sights.
I don't think that they're that much of a hindrance, or they wouldn't have been so popular for so long.
I'm sure a guy'd get used to it quick enough. Go for a long stroll down a couple of trails and you'd quickly figure out what worked or didn't. The unfortunate part is they're so dang expensive, just to 'try'.

lone-wolf
12-09-2015, 04:42 PM
Another question would be, who can/best order in Marbles products?

Edenchef
12-09-2015, 04:44 PM
I think that the "marble" style tang sight would work best for field work. It even allows you to keep the regular open sight in place, for quick shots.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/c47689e6005c36acde29ac46132157f6?AccessKeyId=47B15 F3101A115627A5F&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

lone-wolf
12-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Here's a picture from the internet of a couple 9422s, I got the saddle ring ordered for mine. Tang sight will be in the new year.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/IMG_4107_zpsb1dfe295.jpg

Foxer
12-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Another question would be, who can/best order in Marbles products?

It's the kind of parts that can be shipped to canada by those with export permits. Brownells sent me mine but i got others cheaper at buffalo arms as i recall.

I just lay my thumb alongside the site instead of putting my thumb all the way over the stock - guys have been shooting with that site for years, it's not a problem. I like the marbles ones because they've got windage and elevation.

lone-wolf
12-09-2015, 04:59 PM
What's Buffalo Arms like to order from? I know brownells can usually ship things for fairly cheap

Foxer
12-09-2015, 05:00 PM
What's Buffalo Arms like to order from? I know brownells can usually ship things for fairly cheap

Well it's been years but they were good prices and very easy. Stuff showed up when expected as expected.

Dmay
12-10-2015, 07:41 AM
I just lay my thumb alongside the site instead of putting my thumb all the way over the stock

Same here....ya get used to it very quickly....

blacksmithden
12-10-2015, 09:48 AM
My grandfathers 32 special (Franken-lever) that I restored has one of the original tang mounted Marbles peep sites on it. Unfortunately, there's no windage adjustment, and it's shooting about 6" to the right at 100 yards. I might have to look into replacing it with something a little more modern.

Dmay
12-10-2015, 11:28 AM
My grandfathers 32 special (Franken-lever) that I restored has one of the original tang mounted Marbles peep sites on it. Unfortunately, there's no windage adjustment, and it's shooting about 6" to the right at 100 yards. I might have to look into replacing it with something a little more modern.

Can't you adjust it with a hammer? ;D

kennymo
12-10-2015, 11:45 AM

I figure just bending the rifle barrel to accommodate in the hydraulic press is the better route. We don't want to butcher the job. :p

blacksmithden
12-10-2015, 12:05 PM

I figure just bending the rifle barrel to accommodate in the hydraulic press is the better route. We don't want to butcher the job. :p

Well....there's always that route.........and I have access to a very large, slow moving press. We'll see...maybe next week when I'm back to work. LOL.

Rory McCanuck
12-10-2015, 02:00 PM

Can't you drift the front sight over?

kennymo
12-10-2015, 02:06 PM
Well....there's always that route.........and I have access to a very large, slow moving press. We'll see...maybe next week when I'm back to work. LOL.

Oddly enough, the old man bought an old Cooey Model 60 (I think? Tube mag bolt anyhow...) some years back. Thing couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and we couldn't figure out why.....until we noticed the barrel was tweaked about where the stock ended. Figuring there was nothing to lose on a cheap, well weathered .22, we stripped it down and tossed it in my Uncle's 20 ton press. Now it's driving tacks again.....

Edenchef
12-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Oddly enough, the old man bought an old Cooey Model 60 (I think? Tube mag bolt anyhow...) some years back. Thing couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and we couldn't figure out why.....until we noticed the barrel was tweaked about where the stock ended. Figuring there was nothing to lose on a cheap, well weathered .22, we stripped it down and tossed it in my Uncle's 20 ton press. Now it's driving tacks again.....

Den style "fine" adjustments. ;D

J_06
12-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Imo saddle rings are really only useful for scratching a nice "O" in your reciever.
Here's a picture from the internet of a couple 9422s, I got the saddle ring ordered for mine. Tang sight will be in the new year.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/IMG_4107_zpsb1dfe295.jpg

lone-wolf
12-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Imo saddle rings are really only useful for scratching a nice "O" in your reciever.

Most have leather on them to avoid that. I will probably throw some paracord on mine for the short term.

Foxer
12-13-2015, 08:40 PM
i find saddle rings quite handy actually, and just a single loop of leather prevents the scratching.

Rory McCanuck
12-14-2015, 12:02 AM

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/swivel1.jpg

Guy makes them for $31
http://www.castbullet.com/srsling.htm

Edenchef
12-14-2015, 12:17 AM
i find saddle rings quite handy actually, and just a single loop of leather prevents the scratching.

OMG! Real men don't worry about scratches in their carbine's. Or their pistols, or their coach guns. They are just the character marks of real use. Worrying abut the cosmetics is just so "pussyfied".

Foxer
12-14-2015, 12:46 AM
i just use a single point sling and it does pretty much the same thing, but with a little bungee goodness thrown in :)

Foxer
12-14-2015, 12:46 AM
OMG! Real men don't worry about scratches in their carbine's. Or their pistols, or their coach guns. They are just the character marks of real use. Worrying abut the cosmetics is just so "pussyfied".

I worry about it 'clacking' and scaring game. But it's nice not to have the scratches either. Mind you, my guns get scratched other ways pretty quick :)

Edenchef
12-14-2015, 01:00 AM
I worry about it 'clacking' and scaring game. But it's nice not to have the scratches either. Mind you, my guns get scratched other ways pretty quick :)

I stand by my comment, then.

Foxer
12-14-2015, 01:02 AM
I stand by my comment, then.

Sure - never let truth or common sense get in your way :)