PDA

View Full Version : Remote Control planes now to be registered with FAA in the USA

Steveo9mm
12-15-2015, 06:42 PM
the BS continues. just when i take up a second hobby and join a forum, all hell breaks loose. the FAA now requires ALL remote control planes to be registered and a registration number attached to the plane.

this is the email send to one of the guys.

AMA and the FAA Registration Process

Today the FAA announced plans for a model aircraft registration process to begin next week. AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this registration rule and argued throughout the process that registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes.

Unfortunately, the new FAA registration rule does not include our advice. The rule is counter to Congress's intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for all of our members who have been operating safely for decades.

While we are disappointed with the new registration rule and still maintain that AMA members should be exempt from registration, the rule is being implemented over AMA objections. Therefore, we want to provide you with important information about the registration rule and how AMA members can comply with the new federal requirements:

All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch - but should not require tools to access.
The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
You only need to register once every 3 years.
We are still working out the logistics for this process. Some details are still being discussed, including:
We are seriously discussing with the FAA a system where your AMA number could be used as your federal registration number as well. At this point, this is only a proposal and details are not yet finalized.
At this time, AMA members will not automatically be registered when the registration website launches next week. However, we are in conversations with the FAA about the best way to streamline the registration process for AMA members going forward.
This is an ongoing process and we will continue to provide updates on the registration rule. Stay tuned to modelaircraft.org/gov, social media and your email for the latest news on the registration process.

this BS is getting out of control. wont be long before canada has to register them as well

Drache
12-15-2015, 06:59 PM
This is a really fine line but I can sort of understand why they are doing it. Talking as someone who was in a small plane when it struck an R/C plane as we were coming in to land... I can sort of understand why they want a way to find out who an R/C aircraft belongs to.

lone-wolf
12-15-2015, 07:05 PM
What's the AMA? Sounds like model plane fudds

Steveo9mm
12-15-2015, 07:33 PM
next ... the guitar registry... you know.... noise pollution and loss of hearing

TV-PressPass
12-15-2015, 07:50 PM
It's so basic too. $5 for 3 years, covering multiple UAVs? Like, why even bother?

TrulyGrits
12-15-2015, 09:16 PM
I would like to point out, the FAA(Federal Aviation Administration) is American and not Canadian. As far as I am currently aware there is no requirement currently for registration of R/C aircraft in Canada. I do know the the TC(Transport Canada) is taking a look at new regulations to cover operations of these units in Canadian airspace. FYI, the Academy of Model Aeronautics(AMA) covers recreational use of R/C Aircraft and provides insurance for operators in the US; in Canada it is the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada(MAAC) that provides this service. Neither of these two organizations is a licencing body and membership is purely voluntary. For more information about legally operating these types aircraft in Canada:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-standards/Infographic_Permission_to_fly_a_UAV_Print_English. pdf

FALover
12-15-2015, 10:09 PM
A 55 pound remote control airplane?? That would make a mess of a Rolls-Royce Trent 1000!

blacksmithden
12-15-2015, 11:08 PM
This is a really fine line but I can sort of understand why they are doing it. Talking as someone who was in a small plane when it struck an R/C plane as we were coming in to land... I can sort of understand why they want a way to find out who an R/C aircraft belongs to.

I didn't read about that in my COPA updates. Where, and approximately when did it happen ? I'd like to have a look at what the TSB report had to say about it.

Drache
12-15-2015, 11:27 PM
I didn't read about that in my COPA updates. Where, and approximately when did it happen ? I'd like to have a look at what the TSB report had to say about it.

Back when I lived in Kamloops when I was a child. I was about 5 or 6 I think. I'll try to get the exact date from my dad.

Happened at the YKA, off the end of runway 26, over the park across Aviation Way road.

Aircraft was a Cessna 182

Here's the plane still flying. Heard a crash and watched a black R/C plane bounce off the windshield and went up and over the plane. Missed the prop and didn't break anything. R/C was probably toast though.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/10272520_10152166492083269_2598419772506589015_o.j pg

Steveo9mm
12-16-2015, 06:09 AM
I would like to point out, the FAA(Federal Aviation Administration) is American and not Canadian. As far as I am currently aware there is no requirement currently for registration of R/C aircraft in Canada. I do know the the TC(Transport Canada) is taking a look at new regulations to cover operations of these units in Canadian airspace. FYI, the Academy of Model Aeronautics(AMA) covers recreational use of R/C Aircraft and provides insurance for operators in the US; in Canada it is the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada(MAAC) that provides this service. Neither of these two organizations is a licencing body and membership is purely voluntary. For more information about legally operating these types aircraft in Canada:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-standards/Infographic_Permission_to_fly_a_UAV_Print_English. pdf

Ya thats why the title says USA

CaperJim
12-16-2015, 06:34 AM
It's so basic too. $5 for 3 years, covering multiple UAVs? Like, why even bother?

It's probably the first step towards future regulation and registration. Soon you'll need to take a safety course to operate one, I bet

kennymo
12-16-2015, 07:08 AM
Bumped out of the movie & music section and over to hobbies..

Zinilin
12-16-2015, 08:07 AM
AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this registration rule and argued throughout the process that registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes.

They tried to throw the quad-copter guys under the bus and got caught in the undertow.

Sound familiar?

Steveo9mm
12-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Ive already talked to a few guys, they say theres no way in hell that they are going to register a frikin foam electric plane.

TrulyGrits
12-16-2015, 02:22 PM
Ive already talked to a few guys, they say theres no way in hell that they are going to register a frikin foam electric plane.

And that is their free choice, wait until they get a few fines to pay and have their equipment confiscated, though. Free choice made, consequences to pay, based on their choice.

Soon you'll need to take a safety course to operate one, I bet

IMHO, that would not be a bad thing. There are way too many out there that have absolutely no idea about the regulations and safe operations of these aircraft. I have been flying R/C for over 40 years; I have even served as the President of a local R/C Club and am a member of MAAC. These aircraft are most certainly not toys, even small ones. Imagine the damage that a mere 1 pound metal ball could do, when it is dropped from 100 feet, 400 feet, how about 1000 feet? Imagine that same 1 pound aircraft colliding with the windscreen of a small plane doing 120 mph, head on. Add the 100 mph of the model and you have a recipe for disaster and possibly death, both in the plane and on the ground underneath.

Would you like to see a loaded gun in the hands of someone with absolutely no idea how to safely handle it? Or any idea about what damage it could cause? In your neighborhood?

Steveo9mm
12-16-2015, 03:48 PM
The guys ive talked to have been in clubs for 30-40 years as well. They are versed and knowledgable. Its kinda like with us and bringing back the LGR

TrulyGrits
12-16-2015, 04:20 PM
The guys ive talked to have been in clubs for 30-40 years as well. They are versed and knowledgable. Its kinda like with us and bringing back the LGR

Whatever. As I said, it will be their free choice, when something happens here; comply or not.