PDA

View Full Version : 300 Win Mag BLR that a friend wants to shorten by 2"!

KnowledgeSeeker
12-16-2015, 09:01 PM
I have a friend that wants to get a 300 Win Mag and shorten to the regular (non-mag) length of that particular model which would be approximately 2" I personally think browning in their ballistic wisdom designed that barrel that length for an obvious reason (allowing the gas more time to accelerate the projectile) and I'm thinking that the accuracy of the rifle would greatly suffer and he might as well get a .308 and save his gunsmithing money!Thoughts..........?

Rory McCanuck
12-16-2015, 09:10 PM
I agree with you.
Shortening the barrel will slow the bullet, but it might be more accurate.
A shorter barrel with the same profile tends to be stiffer, which helps accuracy, and it also cuts off the muzzle, which might be worn from a cleaning rod. Unless it's a new take-down version, it has likely always been cleaned from the muzzle end.

A 300 WM has a whole bunch of powder to burn, it needs some room to do it.
Those already have a 22" barrel, don't they?
I don't know that it'd make the gun handle any better.

KnowledgeSeeker
12-16-2015, 09:18 PM
He wants to buy the rifle new than get it shortened! If it was a worn rifle like you said I could understand!

lone-wolf
12-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy, only velocity.
308 sounds like a good idea.

mtlgun
12-16-2015, 09:28 PM
I'm betting your friend hasn't researched the cost of that 2" cut by any decent smith. Can't see where 2" is going to do anything except throw more flash on an already magnum gun. If he was taking 8" off of a 28" 870, or 6" off a 24" Mauser, that would make sense. Seems like a waste of cash and a can of worms for what my opinion's worth. If he needs a guide gun, get a Marlin in 45-70.

KnowledgeSeeker
12-16-2015, 09:35 PM
Thank you lone-wolf and Rory I showed my buddy your responses to his idea and now he's changed his mind and now hes gonna buy a 300WIN MAG BLR and a 308 BLR i dont understand him either but at least we where able to stop the desecration of a beautiful rifle!:cool:

KnowledgeSeeker
12-16-2015, 09:37 PM
I'm betting your friend hasn't researched the cost of that 2" cut by any decent smith. Can't see where 2" is going to do anything except throw more flash on an already magnum gun. If he was taking 8" off of a 28" 870, or 6" off a 24" Mauser, that would make sense. Seems like a waste of cash and a can of worms for what my opinion's worth. If he needs a guide gun, get a Marlin in 45-70.
He's just a "special" individual with a surplus of cash!

kennymo
12-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Some of the WSM models run a little more compact than the longer Win mag. Another way to lose a hair in length and retain magnum speeds.....

Though the Win mag BLR I had was an erratic SOB. I've never owned a more frustrating rifle. Hopefully mine was just a lemon, the uncle has carried a .308 BLR since the early 90's. It's never failed and once took a moose at 400 yards....

KnowledgeSeeker
12-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Some of the WSM models run a little more compact than the longer Win mag. Another way to lose a hair in length and retain magnum speeds.....
A 300 WSM was my original suggestion to him!

lone-wolf
12-16-2015, 10:23 PM
now hes gonna buy a 300WIN MAG BLR and a 308 BLR

I like how he thinks.