PDA

View Full Version : CZ527 initial impressions

6MT
12-21-2015, 07:40 PM
So I decided to buy myself an early Christmas present. And I have been eyeing the CZ527 Carbine in 7.62x39 for some time as a different coyote gun from my present set-up. After opening up the box, I am impressed with the "feel" of quality of this rifle. Although I must say, the weight feels as if it fits into the feather weight category.

After I swabbed the barrel, action and bolt in G96, I installed the bolt. I worked the action a few times and noticed that the bolt was very tight. I pulled it out and looked for the tell tale marks to apply some Lucas gun oil. After a liberal application, I loaded 2 snap caps into the mag and cycled the action to check its function. Again, the bolt seemed to be binding near the end of the pull. And this was impeding the smooth extraction of the round. So, I spent about 20 minutes working the action with and without the snap caps. More on this later.

The next thing was to remove the front sight so the scope wouldn't hit it. This was easily drifted out. Then I removed the front sight hood so it wouldn't be in the sight picture of the scope. Again, very easy to remove. I removed these for the next step.

I managed to pick up a sweet deal on a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 and some Leupold medium 1" rings. Next was the scope install and bore sight. The CZ dovetail is a funky size (16.1mm), so that's why I chose the Leupold rings (with some help from P&D). Again, a very easy install.

http://i.imgur.com/O7nigfIh.jpg

So, I was pretty stoked about getting out to try it out and get the optic zeroed. But, mother nature just wasn't cooperating. Temperatures were very cold and the snow was flying pretty heavy. So I had to wait a few days to get it out to the range. I finally got out today after some Christmas errands.

http://i.imgur.com/dVDMIAZh.jpg

So I started out with a couple of different Dominion surplus rounds. Both 123gr with one FMJ and the other HP. I know, probably not the optimum ammo to be using, but it is non-corrosive and it is very consistent. It took 5 rounds to get on paper. This rifle is very short with the barrel length only being 18.5 inches. The LOP is pretty short even for a little guy like me. And the weight.....pretty light both in feel and reality. But the 7.62x39 round is pretty tame too, so the light weight really doesn't affect the recoil "feel". That sticky feeling bolt showed its head here again. It felt like near the end of the pull, the bolt was binding on the rear of the action. But it was not as bad as when I first tried it with the snap caps and the spent rounds were a bit easier to extract. So, I believe it will loosen up. Just tight tolerances, I guess.

It took 5 rounds to hit paper and a few more to fine tune the zero. Now, the temperature was pretty cold inside the (shaded) enclosures at my range. It was -15 degrees. So trying to shoot some tight groups was pretty much out of the question with this surplus stuff. My groups averaged around the 2 inch mark with 5 shots each at 105 yards. I shot a total of 40 rounds (20 FMJ and 20 HP). The HP seemed to be a bit better at 105 yards. The feel of shooting this very short barrelled light rifle was surprisingly good. I zeroed the scope shooting off a bag on a bench. But I did try some offhand shots both standing and kneeling. Boy, does it feel good!

http://i.imgur.com/Onch7Onh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cFFct5wh.jpg

My first impressions are excellent. The price point of this CZ527 is quite high. I managed to get it for under $1k. Now that may put it out of some shooter's price range. And to those I say....there's always a Zastava with all of their inherent problems. Also, that trigger is amazing! For a factory trigger, I must say it's the best one I've ever felt. There are two settings. The normal setting is around 5.5 pounds pull. But, the sweeter setting is when you push the trigger forward after cocking. Now, you have an incredible 1.5 pounds with almost no creep (well, even the regular setting has almost zero creep too).

Recommend one...? You bet! Just wait until I bag a few yotes!!!

6MT

Waterloomike
12-21-2015, 08:12 PM
My buddy just got one in .223. He loves it. I fired 4 rds and found it to be absolutely superb. 2 bullseyes with 55 grain hornady and near bullsyes with 53 grain vmax, both in hornady.

lone-wolf
12-21-2015, 08:22 PM
Some day I'll have one in .223

Petamocto
12-21-2015, 10:01 PM
I had the 223 Varmint and loved the quality, but that thicker barrel pushed it right from light weight into heavy weight, bypassing middle weight, and that's why I sold it. It weighed far more than my 30.06 X Bolt, so I decided to sell it. CZ definitely makes a great gun, though, it was the most accurate rifle I've ever shot.

kennymo
12-21-2015, 10:20 PM
I gotta get a CZ.....I'm thinking 375 H&H though.....for no good reason whatsoever.....

t_glover
12-22-2015, 07:36 AM
I have a 550 Varmint laminate in .308 and a 527 varmint laminate in .223.
Both very heavy and very accurate rifles.

Here is a link to the trigger adjustment procedure:

ht tp://cz-usa.blogspot.ca/2011/11/cz-single-set-trigger-system.html

Terry

6MT
01-03-2016, 08:25 PM
After 100 plus rounds, this thing is wonderful! Just using DA surplus FMJ & HP. It's shooting just under an moa out to 305 yards. I know I probably won't take a shot at a yote that far, but it sure shoots!

Swampdonkey
01-03-2016, 09:50 PM
I plan on getting my wife one for her birthday. Not sure if she'll fit the youth stock better. Hard to make these things a surprise when she has to try it on.

road kill
01-04-2016, 07:13 AM
Nice rifles, mine is the varmint model in 17 Hornet. Love the set trigger, had a spare mag on order for 8 months now so if you want an extra grab one if you see it.

Metric Warrior
01-04-2016, 10:32 AM
Thanks for a very interesting review. I liked it.
I like the forward push on the trigger for trigger weight change.... Although, would you go back to 5.5lb pull after using 1.5 switch?

kennymo
01-04-2016, 12:46 PM
I like the forward push on the trigger for trigger weight change.... Although, would you go back to 5.5lb pull after using 1.5 switch?

I think it makes it less hairy when you're getting ready to shoot. I had a rifle with the pull weight turned way down, always felt horribly unsafe with one in the chamber. With the set system you can wait until you're 100% ready to shoot before turning on the 'I hope that breeze isn't too strong' factor. And still squeeze off a fast shot if the need arises.

Metric Warrior
01-04-2016, 12:51 PM
I think it makes it less hairy when you're getting ready to shoot. I had a rifle with the pull weight turned way down, always felt horribly unsafe with one in the chamber. With the set system you can wait until you're 100% ready to shoot before turning on the 'I hope that breeze isn't too strong' factor. And still squeeze off a fast shot if the need arises.

Ah yes, that would make sense.
The first time I found out my CZ had a 1/4 return trigger reset, it was quite the surprise and effect!

Sunshine
01-31-2016, 09:25 PM

Mine is set at 13 ounces and 3 1/2 lbs. No problems :)

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/czechthis_bucket/IMG_2128_zpsgsnist8l.jpg

lone-wolf
02-01-2016, 07:09 AM
What a beauty

Mobusten
02-02-2016, 11:31 PM
What a beauty

My thoughts exactly.

bat119
02-04-2016, 09:49 AM
I have a CZ527 Ebony in .223, its a great out of the box rifle very accurate with a really good two stage trigger. Mounting a scope can be a problem if your like me and prefer low mounted scopes. The newer 527's have altered bolt handles for more scope clearance unfortunately the mount manufacturers have not made a low mount yet. The scope always looks like a carrying handle however the stock has a high profile that help's give a good cheek weld.

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s623/batman119/IMG_0618_zpsllm1nb19.jpg (http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/batman119/media/IMG_0618_zpsllm1nb19.jpg.html)

Sunshine
02-04-2016, 10:23 AM
I have a CZ527 Ebony in .223, its a great out of the box rifle very accurate with a really good two stage trigger. Mounting a scope can be a problem if your like me and prefer low mounted scopes. The newer 527's have altered bolt handles for more scope clearance unfortunately the mount manufacturers have not made a low mount yet. The scope always looks like a carrying handle

Try some Warne medium mounts they are about as low as can be with a 40mm objective. There is less than 1/4" clearance.

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/czechthis_bucket/IMG_2126_zpsrkp5cpjn.jpg

Petamocto
02-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Thread revival, bam!

So I bought the CZ527 Youth Carbine because I loved the Varmint I used to have, but wanted something smaller and lighter.

The main purpose for the rifle will be for my kids and wife to have a simple rifle to move up to over our many 22LR options.

I'd like to put a low power scope on it (all the 22LR are open), but I don't want to remove the irons because it's a really nice setup on the Yourh.

Can any of you recommend a medium height see-through ring combo and low power light scope? I'd prefer fixed power if possible for simplicity, maybe in the 2-3x range just to give my kids something light with a crosshair. I'd like the see through rings if possible just to still use the irons if possible, which I have on my Benelli MR1 and enjoy the concept.

kennymo
02-01-2017, 07:33 PM
You were supposed to buy a muzzleloader next....:p

Petamocto
02-01-2017, 07:41 PM
You were supposed to buy a muzzleloader next....:p

Still going to, buddy!

The CZ I've had for several months and it was in my family photo I posted. I'm just posting this now because I decided to scope it.

Billythreefeathers
02-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Leupold VX 2-7 x 28 love mine

Petamocto
02-02-2017, 12:58 PM
Leupold VX 2-7 x 28 love mine

Thank you but as I stated I'm looking for a simple fixed optic.

I also love Leupold adjustable scopes, but I want this to be as basic, small, and light as possible to keep the rifle as light and small as possible.

Leupold has the FX-II Scout IER 2.5x28mm, I'm not sure if I can mount it far forward enough if it has the Scout dimensions with long eye relief.

Billythreefeathers
02-02-2017, 01:32 PM
OK,, I've got one of these on my Savage 64,,, works really well,,

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/simmons-22-rifle-scope-3-9x40-0752357p.html#srp

Petamocto
02-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Guys, I appreciate the suggestions, but I find that I must be failing to express my most important criteria:

Fixed power so it is simple, light, and small.

Not 2-7x, not 3-9x.

Something either 2x or 3x fixed.

kennymo
02-02-2017, 03:45 PM
I think Weaver was offering some fixed power 'classic' scopes within the last couple years. Their made in China Kaspa lineup isn't the greatest (serviceable though), but their other lines were being made somewhere more reputable...

Petamocto
02-02-2017, 06:45 PM
Interesting. Also looking at the Nikon P-223 3x32 because of how small it is.

I'm a bit worried that the scope is so short that I may not be able to get it to line up with the very limited rail mounting option on the rifle.

I may have to put the rings on the rifle and then bring it to a store that has one to see if it can drop in. I'm really having a hard time finding rings for this rare 16.1mm though.

kennymo
02-02-2017, 06:51 PM
You might have a look at some of the 2-7x offerings as well. I know my 2-7x32 Bushnell Elite is a heckuva lot lighter and smaller than the 3-9x40's and not much heavier than the old fixed 4x's I have kicking around.

lone-wolf
02-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Interesting. Also looking at the Nikon P-223 3x32 because of how small it is.

I'm a bit worried that the scope is so short that I may not be able to get it to line up with the very limited rail mounting option on the rifle.

I was going to suggest that, but I thought the same thing.

Leupold did have a fixed 4x scope(no experience with it - but it's a leupold!), if 4x is acceptable.

ruger#1
11-18-2017, 03:56 PM
After 100 plus rounds, this thing is wonderful! Just using DA surplus FMJ & HP. It's shooting just under an moa out to 305 yards. I know I probably won't take a shot at a yote that far, but it sure shoots! Thanks for the review. My buddy has one in 7.62X39. I want one in 223. And you just made my mind up. I already have a CZ550FS. In 6.5X55SE. And I do now the quality of that rife. Now to source out a CZ527 in 223. Thanks and that was a great review. http://cdn.cz-usa.com/hammer/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/cz-usa-cz-527-carbine.png

ruger#1
11-18-2017, 04:00 PM
You might have a look at some of the 2-7x offerings as well. I know my 2-7x32 Bushnell Elite is a heckuva lot lighter and smaller than the 3-9x40's and not much heavier than the old fixed 4x's I have kicking around.

I bought this for the 270. BURRIS Fullfield E1 2X-7X-35mm. Great no questions asked warrantee. Nice little scope.

Petamocto
11-18-2017, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I ended up completely disregarding what I was originally asking for because I couldnt find the low power fixed scope I wanted. Ended up going with a surprisingly light Swarovski that was on sale, even though it was way more than I wanted to spend, I couldn’t pass up the deal, and didn’t pay that much of a weight penalty. If my kids ever want to bush bash with a rifle, though, it won’t be this anymore. Bench, sure, tree stand, maybe, but not patrolling.

Edit with photo:

Magnum v2.5
11-30-2017, 04:07 PM
I picked one.of.these up earlier this year. Only rough sighting, with surplus. Surprising blast due to the short barrel. Plans changed, and the 1.5-4 was too low. Now has a 1.5-6 elite, but have not shot it since.

Bought it for my wife a complete newbie, for the little goat sized blacktail here. Haven't been out much, she seems happy to pack the 410 SxS for blues.

Petamocto
11-30-2017, 09:51 PM
Magnum,

You won't regret a CZ527. What specific model did you get? They make quite a few, ranging from a short Youth, the normal, the heavy barrel varmint, etc.