PDA

View Full Version : Alberta welcomes US veterans looking for work

Prairie Dog
07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
As Alberta continues to struggle with shortages of skilled labourers, employers are now looking south of the border to veterans of the US military to help fill over 100,000 vacant jobs.

Thousands of skilled American workers have been locked out of work due to President Obama's refusal to okay the US leg of the Keystone XL pipeline. Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has pledged he would expedite the pipeline's approval process.

The Edmonton Economic Development Corporation, a city-run agency, is posting on online veteran jobs boards and hosting recruitment sessions to lure Americans north. Skilled workers like welders, engineers, and pipe fitters are able to work up to four years in Canada should they meet the right immigration criteria.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/business/archives/2012/07/20120705-103508.html

stevesummit
07-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Well I think it's good to offer the vets jobs. There are lots of people here that could be put to work to fill the positions first we have to adopt more of a take care of your own back yard first then look out and beyond your boarders This is just my opinion take it for what it's worth

Prairie Dog
07-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Well I think it's good to offer the vets jobs. There are lots of people here that could be put to work to fill the positions first we have to adopt more of a take care of your own back yard first then look out and beyond your boarders This is just my opinion take it for what it's worth

Oh I agree, but if the 20 somethings I see at work are any indication of the current and up and coming work force you'd have better luck flapping your arms and flying. Work isn't work anymore it's a social event with zero work ethic. I've even seen a few quit a $40@hr job because they couldn't get the time off they wanted.

RobSmith
07-05-2012, 05:37 PM
As a temporary measure, when combined with an agressive training/retraining program of the domestic workforce, I don't see much harm in there. That being said I wouldn't want Canada to end up being foreign soldier's de-facto pension plan either <unless> they plan to immigrate on a permanent basis, renounce their foreign citizenship and so on.

Onagoth
07-05-2012, 05:57 PM
I doubt the same open doors would be there if things were the other way around.

jrcbecher
07-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Time to be very careful as this is not a two way street with the unemployment here in Canada we should put Canadians to work first.If you tell US customs you are going to get a job in the states you will spend a lot of time at the border and then sent back unless you have a visa or green card.

stevesummit
07-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Oh I agree, but if the 20 somethings I see at work are any indication of the current and up and coming work force you'd have better luck flapping your arms and flying. Work isn't work anymore it's a social event with zero work ethic. I've even seen a few quit a $40@hr job because they couldn't get the time off they wanted.

I agree with you about current work ethics but the new up and comers that will replace us old timer need a swift kick in the cahonies to smarten up . Anyone that has read some history on Rome knows this is the start of the end with foreign workers here to fill the gap .

Camo tung
07-05-2012, 10:10 PM
I agree with you about current work ethics but the new up and comers that will replace us old timer need a swift kick in the cahonies to smarten up . Anyone that has read some history on Rome knows this is the start of the end with foreign workers here to fill the gap .

But why is a kick in the cahonies up to us? Why didn't their parent(s) correct this attitude long ago? We're now stuck with the entitlement generation (think Occupy or Quebec students as extreme examples) and there are barriers in place that prevent us from giving them the good chewing out they need to get their shit together. It's all about the employer's "obligation" to the new employee as well as "accommodation" (not the disabled instance). "Retention rates" and other HR touchy-feely phrases show how far the liberal social re-engineering agenda has spread. At least little Johnny was saved from any permanent emotional scars of a "zero" mark in school.

I hope in 35 years or so they're finally suitably qualified to change my diaper, I'll be looking forward to it.

Pass the prunes please.....

RobSmith
07-05-2012, 10:18 PM
LOL ...Hence my suggestion towards agressive retraining of the domestic workforce... They felt just as "entitled" when they signed up, found out life was a bit different once discharged ... Now they come here since nobody will employ them on their side of the border ...

But why is a kick in the cahonies up to us? Why didn't their parent(s) correct this attitude long ago? We're now stuck with the entitlement generation (think Occupy or Quebec students as extreme examples) and there are barriers in place that prevent us from giving them the good chewing out they need to get their shit together. It's all about the employer's "obligation" to the new employee as well as "accommodation" (not the disabled instance). "Retention rates" and other HR touchy-feely phrases show how far the liberal social re-engineering agenda has spread. At least little Johnny was saved from any permanent emotional scars of a "zero" mark in school.

I hope in 35 years or so they're finally suitably qualified to change my diaper, I'll be looking forward to it.

Pass the prunes please.....

stevesummit
07-05-2012, 10:27 PM
the reason the kick has to come from us is the fact that no one else will stand up to do it . it has to start some place and it might as well be from the ones that are teaching the newbs how to build and run the world.

RobSmith
07-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Hear hear !

the reason the kick has to come from us is the fact that no one else will stand up to do it . it has to start some place and it might as well be from the ones that are teaching the newbs how to build and run the world.

Prairie Dog
07-06-2012, 09:02 AM
My first cup of coffee this morning has me thinking, could this be some back room deal that The Red Queen (Alison REDford) cooked up in exchange for something down the road? Or do I need a second cup?

road kill
07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
My first cup of coffee this morning has me thinking, could this be some back room deal that The Red Queen (Alison REDford) cooked up in exchange for something down the road? Or do I need a second cup?

Maybe get out the tinfoil hat before you have the second cup of coffee. I keep all my conspiracy theories to myself in case somebody is watching me.;)

Prairie Dog
07-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Maybe get out the tinfoil hat before you have the second cup of coffee. I keep all my conspiracy theories to myself in case somebody is watching me.;)

Or maybe switch brands of coffee. :) Who could possibly be watching? brb.....someone's at the door........

stevesummit
07-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Well it would make sense would it not. She has an in with builderburg