PDA

View Full Version : Bell ExpressVu HD

Gaidheal
12-22-2015, 08:27 PM
I've been on Bell satellite TV for maybe 15 years or so. Running my oh-so-chic 1991 27" tube TV

Our son had a 47" TV he wasn't using any more so we got it. I figured an HD receiver might be worth looking into so I called Bell.

$7/month to rent an HD receiver
$15/month to rent an HD receiver with PVR function

They don't tell me, of course, the cheaper unit can be a PVR just by adding a HDD.

Either way I cannot escape the $75 installation fee unless I buy a unit from some commercial retailer (Source has 2 in stock here according to their website) for $200.00.

So my question - is the $75 really for some dude to show up at the most inconvenient random time in the futue to plug in a TV box? Or does that involve new gear from the dish to the TV?

Waterloomike
12-22-2015, 08:47 PM
my setup is just cable from dish to unit. it looks like a monkey could do it.

but maybe someone else has a different rig.

mtlgun
12-22-2015, 08:53 PM
I dumped cable for Bell a while back but I got their fibe 1 thing. The guy did have to do a bit of work to run some wire and stuff so $75 doesn't sound horribad. They were pretty good about scheduling and calling 30 or so min before to give you a heads up.

As for HD I guess it depends on how much TV you watch and how good your set is. Personally I can barely tell the difference from regular to HD.

blacksmithden
12-23-2015, 02:00 AM
I've got a deal going with a few other guys where we all chip in $30 per month and get a wack load of channels. The guy who's quarterbacking the effort bought mine for me on kijiji. I honestly don't see the value of HD. Maybe it's my old colorblind eyes. Maybe it's the fact that I grew up with 2 channels and on a really clear night, you could ALMOST see the puck in a hockey game. At any rate....you'll need a lnb holder that will hold 2 lnbs, one more lnb, 2 short pieces of coax with ends, and you'll have to install a switch and skew the dish a bit to snag the other satellite. For the cost and effort, especially in winter, $75 is worth it all day long. The PVR is a great thing to have. If you miss something, you can just rewind. You can also easily set up timers to record shows automatically. If you record and watch later, you can just fast forward right over to commercials.

Gaidheal
12-23-2015, 07:07 AM
OK - sounds like I will hold off for now.

So far I'm not seeing the advantage of a big TV. It's just bigger. Which makes the picture fuzzy. My old TV was much crisper if that makes any sense

The weirdest thing is that I still have stuff missing off the sides of teh screen. IE: watching some US news channel. Left-most side of teh screen says "WS" Pretty sure it should be NEWS. Right side same sort of thing.

How is it possible to have a wide-screen TV and still have stuff off teh edges?

If a new receiver won't help I will just leave it alone and watch it even less.

Thanks for the replies

Run 'n' Gun
12-23-2015, 09:46 AM
If you switch from regular Bell to HD, they replace the dish (wider by a couple of inches) and run a second coax down. I had it and every time it was windy, or cloudy in the next town, I would have problems. Thunder storms? Forget about watching TV. Finally gave up and went with Telus.

Gaidheal
12-23-2015, 10:11 AM
Um, yeah - I'm not paying more to get less.

:-(

shootemup604
12-24-2015, 04:20 PM
Buy a receiver on craigslist or kijiji and call them and activate it to your account. Other that that it is really just plug and play, unless your dish needs another LNB (and then also a switch or two depending on your setup) for their other satellite with the HD Channel lineup. But you can also find them almost anywhere for free off of another dish or also on kijiji or craigslist. FYI the telus satellite TV is the same service, so the dish/LNBs/switches, etc are the same. Starchoice/Shaw stuff wont work.

I used to install for Bell and Starchoice about 10 years ago and I still have a box of stuff (switches/LNBs/connectors, meter, etc) if you are around Hope BC. Back then I think Starchoice allowed up to 8 receivers on one account, so for about $140/mo 8 of us got the complete lineup - all channels, for under $20

Now I have Netflix...

FlyingHigh
12-25-2015, 08:19 AM
You have high speed internet right? Screw cable/satellite TV. Pretty much everything is available online.

lone-wolf
12-25-2015, 09:49 AM
I used to install for Bell and Starchoice about 10 years ago

Are you the guy who would cut holes in ducts and run cable in the duct work? ;D :la:

Maybe it's the fact that I grew up with 2 channels and on a really clear night, you could ALMOST see the puck in a hockey game.
Do you recall when americans started watching the game they were complaining about not being able to see the puck? I think fox sports put a glow around the puck for the tv audience to see.
I think watching hnic on a dinner plate sized b&w as a kid is why I don't even need to see the puck, to know where it is. Watch the players!

Gaidheal
12-25-2015, 09:50 AM
DSL. on a good day it's a little over 5Mbs

Is that fast enough for what you suggest? Netflix works ok

lone-wolf
12-25-2015, 09:57 AM
DSL. on a good day it's a little over 5Mbs

Is that fast enough for what you suggest? Netflix works ok

5mbs is doing better than mine, 720p was doable when I was getting 1.5mbs - if that was all I was doing, 5mbs should be alright unless you have 3 or more HD streams going.

Not sure of Bell, but our shaw hd receiver works fine in rain/wind/snow

shootemup604
12-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Are you the guy who would cut holes in ducts and run cable in the duct work?

Wouldn't dare - family business was HVAC and I've done my fair share of crawling around in crawlspaces. I preferred to run my cable around the outside of the house under the vinyl siding.

FYI for those of you with satellite dishes with snow piling up - get out there and clean it off, then spray it with PAM cooking spray or something like that to keep the snow from sticking.