PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of the Vortex Spitfire Prism Scope?

Megglodon
12-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Good morning guys, a good Christmas to all.

I wanted to ask you what you think of the Vortex Spitfire Prism Scope. It's on sale at Cabela's for $299 (regular price $399). I think it's the 1X model.
It would be only to mount on a AR-15, just to do some plinking. Nothing fancy. No competition and no very long range shooting.
I was at a dealer a couple of days ago, they had it mounted on an AR. I like the reticle, 2 circles and a dot. Bright red and green, also black. Is it when it is off that that the reticule is black. I'm not sure.
Do you think that, at 299$ it's a good value ?
I haven't been able to find out what type of battery it uses. Is it like a CR-2032 ?
Does the battery last for a good period of time if it is left on for many hours, or a couple of days?
I don't want to spend more than $400 on a red dot, for the use I'm going to make of it. Just plinking at the range.
Thanks for your advices and pro and cons.

Soakers
12-25-2015, 10:19 AM
I was looking at that one as well.
I currently have a Vortex Sparc II on my AR that I love that's not much cheaper in price then the Spitfire.
You could always buy it and return it if you didn't like it.
Then you could let us know what you thought of it here :D

Megglodon
12-25-2015, 11:50 AM
Hi Soakers,
I was also looking at theVortex Spack II, but after looking through the reticule of the Spitfire, I really liked it. They call it DRT. (Dual Ring Tactical). 2 rings with a small dot in the centre.
Basically I was just trying to know if that particular model is very reliable, well waterproofed, also if it will stay well zeroe if it is taken off and put back on the AR. I have read many reviews, I'd say about 95% of them are positive.
I have downloaded the user manuel from Vortex. It shows that it is using a CR-2032 battery. Which is good. Thoses are cheap and easy to find.

I have a question. The very first time the red dot is zeroed, is it absolutely necessary to use something like a laser bore sighter? Or should the red dot be accurate enough right out of the box? Like fire 2 or 3 shots, than ajust the eveletion and windage accordingly.
Back many years ago, I had a bore sighter for my rifles scopes. Was not using it much, so I sold it with one of my .308. I suppose that it could be handy now. Anyway, I am not too worried, will figure a way.

Soakers
12-25-2015, 12:00 PM
I don't think you need to use a bore sight to sight in any sight, which I'm sure you know. However I do use a laser bore sight to get me on paper,then just a few rounds to find tune.

lone-wolf
12-25-2015, 12:27 PM
I have a question. The very first time the red dot is zeroed, is it absolutely necessary to use something like a laser bore sighter? Or should the red dot be accurate enough right out of the box? Like fire 2 or 3 shots, than ajust the eveletion and windage accordingly.
If you're lucky it'll work that way. If not, set your upper without a bolt, and look down the barrel towards target. Get a rough estimate of center and adjust red dot to it.
This may take a few minutes and some hmmmming and haaaaaing, but it should get close enough to then be on paper at 25yrds, then you can continue sighting in. I have a laser bore sighter, the batteries died years ago but I never found I needed it since.

With vortex, you might get a lemon, but they'll replace it. If you handle it and like it, I think that'd be enough for me to buy it.

Rory McCanuck
12-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Sorry, I can't help with the red dot, but everyone seems to be quite pleased with Vortex products and the way Vortex treats their customers. As was mentioned, if you buy it, I'm reasonably confident that Vortex will make sure you're happy with it.

Back many years ago, I had a bore sighter for my rifles scopes. Was not using it much, so I sold it with one of my .308. I suppose that it could be handy now. Anyway, I am not too worried, will figure a way.

If you have a steady rest, (lead-sled, gun cradle, I just use my front rest and homemade sandbags) you can get it pretty close to zeroed in 2 shots.
Set up a target at 25 yards and take a shot dead centre on target.
Line the gun up so that the sight is dead centre again.
Hold it steady so the gun doesn't move, and adjust the sight to the bullet-hole in the target.
It really helps if you have a second person; one to hold and sight, one to move the dials.

This has always got me on paper at 100, but it always shoots 4-6" high.
The sight on an AR sits higher above bore than most hunting rifles, so ideally, you want to adjust the sight so that it is about 2" high at 25 yds, and that should get you pretty close.

The only time that I didn't hit paper at 25 yards was with a rifle with mount holes drilled crooked, and the notch in the mount wasn't machined but filed. After a couple of shots I figured out what was happening and filed the groove out to the bottom, and everything lined up. As nothing you are dealing with is home-butchered, I don't think you'll have any such problem ;)

Megglodon
12-25-2015, 03:40 PM
Thank you Soakers, lone-wolf and Rory Mc for all the informations provided. With all this I should be able to set it up without problems.
I have just ordered the Spitfire 1X. I think it's a good deal. Right now Cabelas has a free shipping promo for orders of $49 minimum. Since I live in Qc, only 5% GST applies.
Total: $299.99 + 5%, delivered to my door.
Last night I looked at the prices on Brownells. $299.99 US

Rory McCanuck
12-25-2015, 03:48 PM
This has always got me on paper at 100, but it always shoots 4-6" high.
The sight on an AR sits higher above bore than most hunting rifles, so ideally, you want to adjust the sight so that it is about 2" high at 25 yds, and that should get you pretty close.
I just re-read that, and it might be a bit confusing.
It should read 'adjust the sights so that the dot is about 2" above the bullet hole in the paper.'

$315 to your door seems like quite a nice deal!

Soakers
12-25-2015, 04:44 PM
Glad to hear you got it.
My Christmas presents to me are always the best :D

TV-PressPass
12-26-2015, 11:50 AM
I like the idea of etched reticle sights. I used to drool over the leupold prismatic, but didn't like that the illumination was a separate purchase.

I haven't used the 1x or 3x spitfires extensively, but I keep looking through them and thinking they might be fun.

Megglodon
12-27-2015, 08:30 AM
TV-PressPass, if I remember well, when I look through the Spitfire and when I turned the knob, I think the etched reticule had a couple of different intensities, although it is kind of black then. I really like the DRT thing (Dual ring Tactical), it is really a mini illuminated target (when it's on, of course) when looking through the scope. It has both colors, red and green. The reticule is black when it's turned off.
After reading some reviews and comments about that particular scope and other Vortex products, it seems that the overall quality is good. Also the product has a good warranty. With Cabela's sales price and free shipping, I decided to buy it.
I will check your blogs and YT channel. Have a nice day !

GeerGuy
12-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Looks like a good sight and a great price. I will be replacing an EOTech soon.

I might wait for the new version though, larger battery, button controls and a bit "sleeker".

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13874414/CGN/Vortex_1.jpg

Megglodon
12-28-2015, 03:43 PM
GeerGuy,
I saw the Spitfire AR after I had put in my order. It looks like a very good one. Now I wish I had the AR model... but the thing is we don't know when it will be available in Canada and at what price. There is always something new coming out.
Please can you provide with the link to the Spitfire AR page. I wanted to look at the details once again and just can't find it. Thanks.

GeerGuy
12-29-2015, 01:55 AM
That is the only info that I could find on it.

The US MSRP is $400 for the 2015 model and $350 for the 2016, so in theory the CDN price should be the same or lower.

I'm going to inquire at a few CDN dealers...