PDA

View Full Version : Options to Repair a Cut Stock

Pizzed
12-26-2015, 01:17 PM
I am on the last of my project guns for the winter, it is a 'venerable' Cooey Model 84. My goal was to get the three guns back into a more presentable form and then use them.

After stripping, the forend (good shape, nice wood) and what remains of the buttstock:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2mpajh5.jpg

First, I have been looking for a decent replacement at a decent price but no luck.

If you look at the stock carefully, you'll notice it was not cut straight. My plan was to cut it straight, then glue on a piece of scrap walnut I have, and try to cut, file and sand to somewhat improved, full profile. I'll probably end up painting the stocks as I don't anticipate the laminated pieces to be very eye appealing. ;)

Any other suggestions?

kennymo
12-26-2015, 01:36 PM
I wonder if it split or cracked and the previous owner just finished off the job.... Maybe a few small dowels to assist the lamination process? I'd just try to find a chunk of wood that matched the colour as close as possible.....and chalk the repair up to 'character' rather than paint over the thing. But that's just personal taste. Perhaps a busted stock off another old .22 can offer up a good piece of wood for the patch?

Rory McCanuck
12-26-2015, 01:37 PM
If you get both pieces cut dead straight, there's no reason it shouldn't look good.
There's no need for a big glue line or anything.
I think I'd like to put a couple of pins in to stabilise things, but that's just for my peace of mind, I don't know that it'd be neccesary.

JustBen
12-26-2015, 01:37 PM
Maybe trying to find another one with good wood as a donor?

blacksmithden
12-26-2015, 01:41 PM
Biscuit jointer and biscuits ?

Pizzed
12-26-2015, 01:56 PM
As for dowels or biscuits, they will work but I have to miss the 7/8" hole that runs lengthwise through the stock (about an 1/8" from where the present cut is) to where the bolt secures it into the receiver/trigger.

Yeah, I was going to wait until I was done before deciding it needed painting but I'm a realist here. ;)

bucktracker
12-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Contact "Western Gun Parts" in Edmonton. They have tons of used/old gun stocks and other firearm parts.

road kill
12-27-2015, 06:59 AM
If your not in a rush watch at gun shows, usually lots of old cooey stocks. PM sent about another option.

Kenwp
12-27-2015, 08:52 AM
If you can find matching wood try and see if you can put both pieces thru a joiner and get the seams as straight as possible. That will lesson the visibility also you have to get the grains running the same direction.

JustBen
12-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Contact "Western Gun Parts" in Edmonton. They have tons of used/old gun stocks and other firearm parts.

Actually a pretty good idea.

Justice
12-27-2015, 11:38 AM
It's really just wood joinery. One or two biscuits will be better than nothing. And they do not have to be in the middle. Biscuits aren't all the same size either. Help to have a biscuit cutter. Mind you, those are usually used on square hunks of wood. The round might matter.
Epp's would be another place that might have a Cooey 84/Win 840 stock.
Kind of amazing the quality of the wood used on a low end shotgun.