PDA

View Full Version : Vietcong Slam Fire Blow Back Rifle

Drache
01-09-2016, 07:23 PM
This single shot rifle operates on a springloaded bolt that is drawn back to load and fire.

http://i.imgur.com/cpIqQmW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cw2295P.jpg

Mark-II
01-10-2016, 10:42 AM
Which end do you point at the enemy?

Justice
01-10-2016, 02:47 PM
Charles was a crafty fellow. Made all kinds of stuff in jungle work shops. Zip guns included. Mind you, convicts and others made zip guns long before VN was still called Indochina.

Call-sign_ENIGMA
01-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Dear lord, that is ugly.

Marner
01-10-2016, 09:00 PM
^^^^ Yes

kennymo
01-10-2016, 09:08 PM
So...what the hell is this thing chambered for anyway? Is it made from a scrap SKS barrel? Some random Indonesian tiger hunting calibre? Or is it a chunk of 3/4" plumbing pipe filed out to accept a shotshell? Details!!!

Drache
01-10-2016, 09:26 PM
So...what the hell is this thing chambered for anyway? Is it made from a scrap SKS barrel? Some random Indonesian tiger hunting calibre? Or is it a chunk of 3/4" plumbing pipe filed out to accept a shotshell? Details!!!

There aren't any details man! I copied exactly what was said from the NRA Museum :p

kennymo
01-10-2016, 09:31 PM
I just noticed it doesn't appear to have a rear sight either.....or maybe it's drawn on with pencil in the top wood.

JustBen
01-10-2016, 09:40 PM
I just noticed it doesn't appear to have a rear sight either.....or maybe it's drawn on with pencil in the top wood.

Implying that a rear sight would help this monster...

bp2626
01-12-2016, 11:02 PM
A single shot, open bolt firearm would be the simplest to manufacture for sure. The small amount of the bore that's visible on the NRA Museum website doesn't show rifling. Probably fires low pressure shotshells and doesn't have a locking bolt. As crude as it looks, it probably works just fine.

50 B.M.G.
01-13-2016, 08:50 AM
Many rifles were lost on both sides that were damaged to the point that regular soldiers would not trust or employ them. The parts however were policed up and used to make "frankenguns" such as the photo shows.
The ingenuity some people will use and lengths they will go to still astounds me.
Probably if the barrel, specifically the chambered end was still ok, the rest could be "jungle engineered" to make a weapon.
Many improvised weapons were seen in S.E. Asia through the 60s and early 70s. Bamboo "foot busters" were just another example of how crafty the VC were.

I have seen a handmade version of a 1911 that came back from Vietnam. It has a Colt barrel and mag but almost everything else is crudely made from God knows what, yet it still fires, if you have the balls for it.