PDA

View Full Version : No BS Recon Scope Review: Vortex 10X50 RT in 90 Seconds

TV-PressPass
07-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi Guys,

I've had this scope for almost 6 months now, and thought I'd throw together a quick review (in 1080p HD). I've used it a lot more than I ever expected when I bought it. Definitely a keeper.

This Monocular is one of the most versatile pieces of glass I've used. It is tough, and able to be carried externally on a pack without needing to be babied. The glass is bright, the design is solid, and the reticle is an interesting change for anyone looking to range without a laser rangefinder.

The 15X version of this unit could almost be called a spotting scope. But this is lighter than any spotting scope I've ever handled. The Recon fits a niche that no other optics company is really designing anything for. Light weight, high grade glass in a compact form. I've taken to carrying this in all situations where I want some sort of glass, but don't necessarily need a full set of binoculars around my neck.

Has anyone ever used a monocular as their primary optic for hunting or shooting? Its very different coming from the world of binoculars.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUJryU4yYds

jrcbecher
07-09-2012, 12:45 PM
I like it going look into it further if its not with you its no good this looks like a keeper for my day pack

50calshooter
07-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Very cool, I just bought some Viper HD binos in 10x42 but this Recon scope sure is a cool idea, perhaps I should've given this a look before buying... Ah well just another man toy to add to the list I suppose..

TV-PressPass
07-18-2012, 09:29 AM
The vipers were a good purchase 50cal. For anything where you're looking for longer than a few seconds, you'll start to miss that binocular vision and get all squinty with one eye. I'm really glad the recon has a winged eyeup so I can rest it right on the bridge and focus just on the image.

In my mind, there are two optics setups: I have a 20-60X spotting scope and 10X binoculars for long glassing and stable stuff, or I carry this 10X scope and a 7X rangefinder for light scouting stuff.