PDA

View Full Version : Just Right Carbine owners, how do you like them?

Diesel
07-09-2012, 09:02 PM
I've been kicking around the idea of buying a 9mm carbine for awhile now. I've considered everything from 9mm AR uppers to High Points but the JRC is what I keep coming back to. I can't find one local to fondle so I come to you guys.

Any thoughts on them?

BCRider
07-18-2012, 11:51 PM
I don't own one but I got to fondle and examine and shoot one that belonged to a shooting buddy.

Fit and finish is excellent. Nothing plastic or sloppy about it at all.

The thing is that it's a direct blowback operation just like the Kel Tec 2000. So like the KT2000 I shot as well it tends to spit a small amount of gas and fouling out the ejection port. Some recoil spring tuning MAY limit or eliminate it. But in use it's not that big a deal.

Also because it's direct blowback and there's a big hunk o' metal cycling back and forth inside the receiver and shoulder stock the kick is far more than what you would expect from a lowly 9mm round shot from such a heavy gun. This apparent amplification of the recoil can be either a good or a bad thing for you depending on the use you intend for the firearm. If you're in competition or, considering your location is showing as Kansas, if you use it for self defense it makes it a touch harder to put multiple shots into the same spot in a hurry. But if you're using the gun purely as a fun range toy then it actually is far MORE fun to shoot it than some other 9mm carbines that I'd shot. Namely an HK and a Beretta Storm. Those guns use a different style of recoil system and they are like shooting a .22. The JRC is just not that refined. Along with the gas coming out the ejection port it rattles and kicks with some really fun loving gusto. Not enough to really shake up your fillings. Just enough to make you think you're shooting something that chambers a larger round than what you KNOW you stuck into the magazines. The KT2000 shares this same trait. In fact they feel almost exactly alike.

As a fun time plinker you won't find anything other than maybe the Thureon Defense carbine that makes you grin so much. Yeah it's got some rough edges due to the direct blowback format. But for me it makes the gun feel like it's more alive. I like that it's less smooth than the HK and Beretta. For me it's not like I'd be putting my life on the line. If I were then I'd be all about the smoothness along with rapid yet accurate follow up shots. But when the only risk from my targets is that they may fall on my instep and break a bone when we're cleaning up at the end of a Speed Steel match I'll take a JRC or maybe the Thureon. I've handled but not shot a Thureon and I like the slightly cleaner look to it over the JRC. But it's the same internal direct blowback with recoil spring in the shoulder stock as the JRC. So it's all a question of what sort of wrapper do you want on your burger.

That help out any?

Canuck
07-19-2012, 09:23 AM
You might want to check out a review I did on the JR carbine on GOC. Please keep in mind that it is the .45 ACP version and there were definitely issues. On the other hand I believe the 9mm is probably the best working calibre with the least issues of the three JR carbines available. After contacting JR Carbines and making some alterations, my .45 is working the way I thought it should. I love that carbine. It has a very decent trigger, is very accurate, and everyone wants to shoot it. I have ordered two new Glock mags with the improved mag spring. Customer support is excellent. I have been in contact with the inventor of the Carbine several times and he has been very helpful. He really wants his customers to be happy and does whatever necessary to make you happy. I believe they have made the necessary changes to get the .45 working as well as the 9 and the 40. I like the fact that many AR components interchange with this carbine. You can really put your own stamp on it if you want. I would recommend getting one.

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?1174-45-ACP-JR-Carbine-Range-Report

Also:

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?1997-JR-Carbine-45-ACP-Range-Video

Diesel
08-01-2012, 10:19 PM
I have one on the way, thanks for the input guys.

OldNewGuy
06-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Had to rejuvenate this thread a bit - as I picked up a JR Carbine in 9mm recently. Frankly, the only reason I bought this one was for plinking and target shooting up at the Club range - from a practical perspective it didn't make a lot of sense to purchase it.

Having said that - this thing is a joy to shoot, it is extremely accurate (5 shots within the 1" bull at 50 yards, and while I have to adjust the little scope I mounted on it, I can put 3 to 5 holes in a 1.5" circle out to 100 yards), the Glock mags are reliable, and best of all it is very cheap to shoot in 9mm. The direct blowback design seems very reliable as I haven't had even one FTF or FTE in almost 1,500 rounds. Because of the blow-back design, it gets pretty dirty very quickly, and it's a bit of a pain to clean, as stripping it down requires the special wrench, and fiddling with the charge handle to remove and replace it. On the plus side, the bolt assembly can be completely disassembled and reassembled without tools which makes it a snap to clean and maintain (or replace the firing pin if it ever becomes necessary.

All-in-all, it appears a lot of thought and development time went into the design of this firearm, and the quality is very good to boot. No cheap bits are evident in any way.

Would I buy it again if I had the need/desire - darn right.

Jay
06-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Its a fun plinker. I have the 40S&W version and shoot 180gr's out of it at the 100 yard gongs. Sometimes there's a looooong pause between the crack of the muzzle and the report from the gong. You can almost hear the round sailing through the air.

I've noticed that everything gets loose on it, and you have to check several parts for any rattling before continuing to shoot. Probably every 10 mags, you should check for loose parts. I haven't threadlocked anything in it yet.. but the only thing that hasn't come loose is the EoTech 512. And you have to be really careful about not overtightening aluminum threading.

Messy Pants
06-13-2014, 08:32 AM
The only gun I regret selling.
Very well made. Solid gun.
Fit and finish is very good.
They are slightly heavier than an AR.
The bolt loves to be cleaned regularly and oiled for each use (what bolt doesn't.)
Cheap to shoot and can be used in most 3 gun or tac rifle competitions.
Sold for the same price I paid.
Gets lots of looks at the range.

Daniel_250r
06-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Ive held one its not milspec and requires a snap on professional tool set to disasemble next

lone-wolf
06-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Ive held one its not milspec

huh? I didn't realize the jr carbine was supposed to be a service rifle
Takes an allen key to disassemble. Oh the horror!

So, I don't put much stock in the opinion of people who just hold them.

mr_jonny
06-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Awesome rifle.... accurate, the only problem is the wife loves it too(she has laid claim to it) thinking about buying another one. ( have the 9, might get the 45)

Foxer
06-15-2014, 10:41 AM
I love mine - threw a magpul stock and forearm grip on it and it's awesome. It had a few FTF and FTE's when i got it, i took it apart and cleaned it (especially the spring) and a VERY light oiling and it slicked right up and ran like a top.

BTW - if you're going to drop a different stock on it you may have to shave a little bit off the buffer to get it to fit right. There's plenty of info on the web about this and mine worked like a charm after.

ESP
06-20-2014, 01:18 AM
JRC 9mm = Good gear

Mark-II
06-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Just got a 45acp and it will consistently jam on rounds 8-10 with both the included mag and a new Glock one I bought a week ago.

Not too happy with it.

Love it, but not too happy with it

Contacted the manufacturer and they expect me to somehow call during business hours and talk to their gunsmith. If there is a fix just email it to me!

OldNewGuy
06-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Just got a 45acp and it will consistently jam on rounds 8-10 with both the included mag and a new Glock one I bought a week ago.

Not too happy with it.

Love it, but not too happy with it

Contacted the manufacturer and they expect me to somehow call during business hours and talk to their gunsmith. If there is a fix just email it to me!

Check on the Just Right Carbine website - there is a section in the "F.A.Q." about this issue, apparently there is an issue with the follower spring in the Glock 45 ACP mags which "can" mean that the last 1 to 3 rounds don't sit right. There is an adjustment, from what little I've read (I've got a 9mm so I didn't read the whole thing through as I haven't had the issue).

Here's the weblink to the F.A.Q. page, it is in the first "Question" that addresses this situation. http://www.justrightcarbines.com/FAQs.html

Good luck, my friend. I have had the chance to call JRC on a non-warranty issue (just looking for information) and the owner of the company called me back personally - I was impressed, he seemed genuinely interested in assisting me.

OldNewGuy

mikethebike
06-20-2014, 08:46 PM
i just sold mine today, bought it a year ago from wanstalls, just wasn't interested in shooting it anymore

Swampdonkey
06-20-2014, 08:54 PM
i just sold mine today, bought it a year ago from wanstalls, just wasn't interested in shooting it anymore

Did you upgrade to an AR? Decide you liked Warsaw Pact or old bolt stuff? Were there shortcomings you couldn't overlook?

mikethebike
06-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Did you upgrade to an AR? Decide you liked Warsaw Pact or old bolt stuff? Were there shortcomings you couldn't overlook?

Honestly i had some major issues with it as soon as i bought it, i worked those issues out with JR but it really turned me off from shooting it after that even though it was shooting fine. Its accurate, thats true, and i could hit the 200 yard gong at poco burke consistently, but bah my heart just wasn't into it any more.

i own a super expensive AR that also broke my heart, cant feed from the moment i bought it, that one will also go to sale once its all fixed.

i just like my guns to run properly when i buy them new, its not too much to expect.

Daniel_250r
06-22-2014, 08:14 PM

Let me guess it didnt meet your standards of sub moa...

Jay
06-23-2014, 11:16 AM
The only problems I've had (Glock 40S&W) were magazine related. When the receiver was super dirty, the glock mag that came with it would jam once or twice in 10 rounds. The KCI 10/15's I bought extra jammed often, clean or dirty, until I replaced the springs with "+10%" Wolff springs, and then they were more reliable than the Glock magazine. I have some KCI 10/32's and they jam like every 1-3 rounds. I'd like to find replacement springs for those too, but I didn't see any on the Wolff portal that I thought would fit or work. The 10-pack of springs I bought could probably fit the 10/32 and may even be longer springs than the one they came with. I also cleaned all burrs out of the KCI mags, and even dremeled a slight feedramp into the mag (I noticed the cartridge would catch on the lip of the mag when emptying by thumb).

Anybody know of a place to get a good spring for the long mags?

Mark-II
06-24-2014, 02:51 PM
I think I fixed mine...

I reversed the magazine springs - ie: front to back. Cleaned out the mag bodies and gave that, the springs and the followers a good coat of jig-a-loo extreme graphite for good measure.

At the range I used the 2 mags sequentially. Both jammed twice on the 10th round, right at the beginning. After that for the remaining 200 round shot there were zero problems.

So far, so good.

I've ordered a cheap scope riser to clamp the receiver and rail together to keep the rail from rotating and throwing my sights off. It'll look fugly, but I don't feel like blowing $200 on a new forend right now.

Canuck
06-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Why is the rail rotating?

Canuck
06-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Dupe.

lone-wolf
06-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Why is the rail rotating?

Does it on mine too. I had my zero wander left to right, annoying. Maybe I should locktite(weaker stuff) it

Mark-II
06-26-2014, 02:59 PM
I put a bipod on mine and I believe that's why. It slowly rotated back during firing when I applied firm opposite pressure on it. I'm getting a cheap scope riser to clamp over top of the receiver and rail. That ought to do it. Fugly, but cheaper than a new handguard with an anti rotation lug on it.

Woodman72x
06-27-2014, 08:18 PM
I bought the jr carbine a couple months ago. It filled the perfect niche for me an affordable plinker, fun to shoot, a multitude of accessories, large availability of ammo(easier than 22 lately) average 25-30 cents a bullet. Bullets that break cinder blocks rather than bounce off, cool looking, built like a tank, can buy kits to change caliber 40 smith and Wesson, or 45 acp. I bought the gun with little expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Didn't buy it to hunt or long range shoot, so it's works for me.

Petamocto
06-27-2014, 08:24 PM
To each his own, but I never understood the carbine concept. Handgun bullets make sense in pistols, because they are meant for short-range shooting.

What is the benefit of trying to shoehorn those rounds into something that is otherwise meant to fire rifle bullets that work better at long ranges?

Can someone please let me know if I am missing something? I get the allure of something like a SR22, because at least then it's super cheap and 22LR is fun to plink with. But if you're going to fire centrefire, why not just get something that fires Norinco 5.56?

Canuck
06-27-2014, 09:00 PM
Can't speak for others but here are my reasons: It is cheaper than centrefire rifle to shoot. (I reload so it's cheaper yet. Not as cheap as .22 granted.) I can shoot it at our indoor range. Can't do that with 5.56. It is built like an AR so all the controls are in the same place so it's relevant practice. While not the greatest hunting rifle you could use it on small game. (I shoot the .45.) It is accurate enough to hunt varmints. It is eminently modifiable so you can have fun putting your own stamp on it. (You can do that with the SR22 as well so, again, it's personal preference.) It's not restricted so I can take it anywhere if so inclined. Nice companion gun if I go to the range with one of my .45's. Some of us have used them in 3 gun matches and they are a good fit. I can see taking it with me on camping trips. Not my first choice for a bear gun but there are cougars, coyotes and wolves where we go. If I absolutelly had to use it on a bear I would feel more comfortable than using a .22. Good gun to start someone off with. Both my son's girfriends shot the JR as their first CF rifle/carbine. Recoil is negllgible so they were quite comfortable with it. They really liked it. Got good hits out to 100 yds right off the bat.
Undeniably, it is so much fun to shoot. You can't ignore the cool factor either. Everyone wants to shoot it. Can't really explain that part. Either you like it or you don't. That's about it for me. Others will chime in with their reasons as well I'm sure.

An aside: I won't shoot Norinco 5.56 ammo. I mentioned this to my BIL He has been shooting the stuff in his AR. He showed me a number of cases with split necks. We even found one with a split neck that hadn't been fired yet! He also noted that he gets big muzzle flashes sometimes and the round sounds different- much louder. May be cheap but I don't trust it. So now he is back to more expensive ammo.

Petamocto
06-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I guess the non-restricted part is legitimate. Likewise if you are limited to a range that only allows pistol ammo max.

I won't shoot Norinco is there is a life on the line, but for range time it is hard to ignore getting 3:1 bullers-per-dollar with it compared to normal stuff.

lone-wolf
06-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Can someone please let me know if I am missing something? I get the allure of something like a SR22, because at least then it's super cheap and 22LR is fun to plink with. But if you're going to fire centrefire, why not just get something that fires Norinco 5.56?

.223 is probably cheaper than .40s&w around here, but I like the look of the JR, it's non-res(I have no range to shoot at) and it has 10rd magazines.
It's fun. .22s are fun too, but centerfires have more bang. Variety I guess is nice, as I have a few plinkers, from .22s to .30carbine, to the .40 JR

For a non-res .223 plinker, I had a su16 and didn't fall in love, so for my price range, I'm going to get a mini14. The JR came into my possession through a trade before I had a chance at a mini14. So, a .223 plinker is in the plans.

Jay
06-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I guess the non-restricted part is legitimate. Likewise if you are limited to a range that only allows pistol ammo max.

I won't shoot Norinco is there is a life on the line, but for range time it is hard to ignore getting 3:1 bullers-per-dollar with it compared to normal stuff.

Some ranges won't allow the JR on their pistol ranges because they see it as a rifle and not a pistol-calibre carbine. Crumlin Fudd Association is one of them.

Canuck
06-30-2014, 08:50 AM
Some ranges won't allow the JR on their pistol ranges because they see it as a rifle and not a pistol-calibre carbine. Crumlin Fudd Association is one of them.

Well, that is pretty sad right there. I belong to two clubs and the one has an indoor as well as outdoor range. No issues with the PCC's there. The club in Kamloops has about 10 action bays outside as well as the pistol/rifle ranges and you can shoot pretty much what you want there.

YYCADM
06-30-2014, 07:48 PM
I think if I belonged to a gun club that made an arbitrary decision like that without even looking at the weapon and it specs, it'd be the last money they see out of
me for membership and range fees. That's crazy; denying the use of a pistol calibre carbine that's putting out less kinetic energy at the muzzle that many larger calibre's are carrying at 15 yards. The only issue I've had at the range I shoot at is too many people asking questions about it and wanting to put some rounds through it. Ive done a fair bit of personalizing to my 9mm that it looks "familiar", but different enough that it gets some people's curiosity up.

I've shot this gun a lot more than I ever expected I would. I've got an SR-22 with a lot of work done on it that shoots wonderfully and looks pretty cool...my wife has laid claim to it. My "go-to" plinker was a .17 HMR, but the JRC in 9mm is cheaper to shoot, a lot of fun generally, and more capable of dumping a coyote than the .17. I have a couple of .223's I enjoy a bunch too, but Since I don't reload, they get costly more quickly.

infidel29
07-12-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm kinda biased as I bought one barely used, and within 8 rounds the bolt ground to a stop and seized. The thing turned itself into a paperweight with less than a mag through it. wasnt happy.

Swampdonkey
07-12-2014, 07:19 PM
^ Not that I'm Paul Harvey, but what's the rest of the story? Did you sell it, fix it? What was the main issue?

Canuck
07-12-2014, 07:50 PM
^ Not that I'm Paul Harvey, but what's the rest of the story? Did you sell it, fix it? What was the main issue?

I was wondering that, too. JR Carbines has excellent warranty service. if the gun was at fault I am certain they would address it, even if you were not the original owner.

Foxer
07-12-2014, 10:46 PM
I think if I belonged to a gun club that made an arbitrary decision like that without even looking at the weapon and it specs, it'd be the last money they see out of
me for membership and range fees. That's crazy; denying the use of a pistol calibre carbine that's putting out less kinetic energy at the muzzle that many larger calibre's are carrying at 15 yards. The only issue I've had at the range I shoot at is too many people asking questions about it and wanting to put some rounds through it. Ive done a fair bit of personalizing to my 9mm that it looks "familiar", but different enough that it gets some people's curiosity up.

I've heard tell some ranges do it on pistol only ranges (especially in door) because they're worried it might get the co's coming down on them for exceeding their backstop rating. Obviously a 40 sw coming out of an 18 inch barrel will have more velocity and energy than a 6 inch barrel and that could cause 'legal' issues with the CO's. I don't know if it's a valid safety concern, but god knows the co's don't necessarily care about how 'actual' a problem is :)

Canuck
07-12-2014, 11:07 PM
I've heard tell some ranges do it on pistol only ranges (especially in door) because they're worried it might get the co's coming down on them for exceeding their backstop rating. Obviously a 40 sw coming out of an 18 inch barrel will have more velocity and energy than a 6 inch barrel and that could cause 'legal' issues with the CO's. I don't know if it's a valid safety concern, but god knows the co's don't necessarily care about how 'actual' a problem is :)

We have checked the plates at our indoor range and there is no damage that we can see using a .45 JR and a 9mm AR carbine.

Swampdonkey
07-12-2014, 11:29 PM
http://www.saysuncle.com/images/9mm.gif

I don't know how much any particular blowback action might reduce this, if at all.

Mark-II
07-13-2014, 11:20 PM
Now I've noticed that my 45acp is tearing 1 to 2 case mouths in 10, generally in the 4 or 10 o'clock position.

I've a theory that the 200gr SWC I recently switched to is not reliably centring the cartridge on chambering and the case mouth is hitting the breach on the way in.

I've cast up a bunch of my old 230gr lee RN type ones to try. If that's a no go then I suppose I'll buy some cam pro plated ones, just for the carbine.

Jay
07-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Now I've noticed that my 45acp is tearing 1 to 2 case mouths in 10, generally in the 4 or 10 o'clock position.

Are you marking the case before chambering? I mean, with an indelible marker, put a mark and insert manually so the mark is at the 12 o'clock position. Fire the round. If the case is rupturing at 6 o'clock (the feed ramp), I'd say the blowback is too early and you need a heavier recoil buffer or something.