PDA

View Full Version : O470 (aircraft engine) rebuild in Alberta?

Gaidheal
01-18-2016, 02:09 PM
Internet buddy of mine (in New Zealand) has a father-in-law in Alberta who went off-roading in his 180 and the fence won.

Looking at getting the O470 rebuilt and is looking for thoughts on rebuilders in Alberta.

Anyone know a shop thy could recommend for me to pass along?

blacksmithden
01-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Check out the local airports. There's got to be an engineer hanging around somewhere. They're going to have to rip it down completely to assess the damage. If he bent the crank....well......get out the check book AND the credit card.

Rory McCanuck
01-18-2016, 02:45 PM
After my dad retired, he took on part-time jobs to keep himself occupied.
One was with an aircraft engine rebuider in Winnipeg.
After putting an engine together, they have to do a run-in, get it up to temp, etc.
Then they drain the oil and inspect it.
Metal filings are expected, some engines more than others.
If you can read the part numbers, you know you have a problem ;D

I think they guy he worked for finally drank himself out of business, though, so no help there.
Sorry.

Badmonkey
01-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Internet buddy of mine (in New Zealand) has a father-in-law in Alberta who went off-roading in his 180 and the fence won.

Looking at getting the O470 rebuilt and is looking for thoughts on rebuilders in Alberta.

Anyone know a shop thy could recommend for me to pass along?

Dave From, out of Red Deer is a great guy. Small mom and pop aero engine overhaul shop.

firemachine69
01-23-2016, 09:21 PM
I winced at the thought of how much in cost alone this might end up being... Ouch...

Badmonkey
01-23-2016, 09:50 PM
A complete overhaul can easy exceed $40,000, even with a good core.

Gaidheal
01-24-2016, 08:33 AM
He's been quoted a price in the mid to upper 30's (so roughly $20k USD), not sure where from. He's still looking for a shop as far as I know.

Thanks for the info guys. :)