PDA

View Full Version : CQB Lever Gun? ... [Pictures Inside]

50calshooter
07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
So, I've been messing around with my Marlin lever gun and I accidentally stumbled onto this configuration...

So first off, this will be my primary hunting rig, it's light, compact and powerful. The biggest learning curve with this gun will be understanding it's range limitations, effectively it's a hundred yard gun, worst case maby up to 175. At these ranges a short range optic IMO seemed to be the best idea, especially if you're in close quarters to your prey. Logically the faster you can acquire your target then the better chance you have at filling your deep freeze, no?

The first step was to find a mounting solution. I always try to stick with 1913 picatinny rails no matter the platform, that way all my optics and mounts are interchangeable. I found a sight and base kit from XS sight systems, fairly cheap and reasonable (Brownells) easy to install and everything fit nicely.

At first I was going to run a Vortex 10x scope, but I found that this optic was just too much power and in general too much scope for this gun. Last minute, I pulled my Vortex PST 1-4 IR off my AR... Whaddya know, this actually feels good! This optic on this gun, believe it or not actually points nice and speeds up target acquisition 10 fold. Overall it feels damn good and doesn't add any excess weight. The illuminated reticle is pretty awesome to say the least and at x4 power that should be more then enough magnification for my intended distances.

What do you think? am I out to lunch?

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/Marlin/DSC_4558.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/Marlin/DSC_4555.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/Marlin/DSC_4548.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/Marlin/DSC_4536.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/Marlin/DSC_4549.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/Marlin/DSC_4559.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/Marlin/DSC_4553.jpg

mlehto
07-10-2012, 02:35 PM
You need that Mossberg with the rails and tactical stock! Too much wood on your gun! :p

50calshooter
07-10-2012, 02:53 PM
You need that Mossberg with the rails and tactical stock! Too much wood on your gun! :p

To be honest with you, I'm considering getting the entire action and barrel Arma-Coated matte black and I'd like to see if I could stain the wood to a dark grey or blackish color.... I know it's an odd config, but I've always built stuff with function as number one, cosmetics second.

Again, this optic really does feel good on this gun, she's a deadly bush gun for sure now..

lone-wolf
07-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Fixed 4x scope is what my father's lever 30-30 has. He took deer with it, and I took one as well. It sits in see-through rings.
I guess that's the old school cqb configuration.

Bullwhip
07-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Definitely not out to lunch.

I'm really interested in how you find that combo works for you. I was looking at a PST 1-4 for exactly the same purpose but didn't have the coin at the time so I repurposed a SPARC. I got the small rail from Brownell's as well.

I'm liking the red dot just for its ease of use, size and profile, but consistent hold overs past a 200 yard zero definitely shows both the red dot and 45-70's limitations as the 350's I'm shooting drop like a stone past there (32" @ 300). I would not be confident enough to chance a shot past 225 or 250 with it - which isn't a bad thing.

I've been practicing and it is fantastic anywhere from 0 to 200. Nice, light, quick to shoulder, quick to see, and plenty of thump.

Lousy ipod pic:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/Bullwhip2006/IMG_0445.jpg

zulu
07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
did that rail come with a rear peep sight? ive been looking at that same rail but i dont see a peep sight on your gun

mlehto
07-10-2012, 05:49 PM
In all seriousness, I do like it.

I think that mount has the scope too high for a quick and consistent cheek weld though. ;)

50calshooter
07-10-2012, 06:36 PM
did that rail come with a rear peep sight? ive been looking at that same rail but i dont see a peep sight on your gun

Yes it did come with the rear sight but I took it off to account for a lower optic mount. If I stay with this optic mount I'll reinstall it, as there is enough room with this config.

In all seriousness, I do like it.

I think that mount has the scope too high for a quick and consistent cheek weld though. ;)

What cheek weld? Lol ... Ya there's not much in the way of a good cheek weld, there is some but not a lot... I wonder if that is a big deal though... In its current state it does point nice and I can easily acquire the reticle but that is also with the help of the illuminated reticle...

I guess I'll have to try it first, I like the idea of it not only being up higher but also quick detach because if I'm in the bush I can shoot both open and with optics at the flick of two levers...

loki
07-11-2012, 01:46 AM
CQB lever gun? Lol, how 1880's of you ;).

I guess I'll have to try it first, I like the idea of it not only being up higher but also quick detach because if I'm in the bush I can shoot both open and with optics at the flick of two levers...

See through rings could do that same job without any dismount of the scope. Faster aquisition when your scope dies, and less moving parts as well. The range is easy not to lose your stuff, QD in the bush is another matter and just asking to lose the scope as you push bush.

Also if the objective is function in order to use the scope or iron sights, then get that rear sight on there.

Onagoth
07-11-2012, 05:22 AM
I'm not a huge fan of it. I would of left the iron sights personally, with the possible exception of a small lightweight red dot.

Scope and mount just adds to much weight, is mounted too high and 4x really isn't (for me anyways) a requirement for under 200y shooting.

hillbillyr
07-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Needs more rail, a foregrip, bipod, flashlight, laser and side mount holo sight :p

In seriousness if it works well then it is fantastic

Rory McCanuck
07-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Congrats on a nice looking rifle. Judging by the range limitation comment,
and the size of the loading gate, I'll assume it is a 45-70? If so, don't
discount its power just because it has a rainbow trajectory. It is still
carrying a whole bunch of power out at longer ranges, it's just harder to
hit stuff reliably.

It is very difficult to better a peep sight. Bring the rifle up, put bead on
target, target falls over. I find them very comfortable to use, but even
more importantly, very easy to carry. Your Marlin, and mine, will balance
at the point where the forearm meets the receiver. Wrap your hand
around it here, and it can carried without thought all day long. Most
older Marlins have a shiny spot here, where it has been carried enough to
wear out the bluing. Mine had a scope and mount on it when I bought it,
and it seemed like a big heavy gun. Taking the scope off helped, but
the sharp corner of the mount (Weaver 63B)would dig into my hand.
I removed the mount and now it is a joy to carry.
I would like to put a QD type mount on for sitting on the edge of a field,
how does that rail feel in our hand?

And no, you're not out to lunch if it works for you.:)

blacksmithden
07-11-2012, 03:55 PM
You know, you guys are going to hell for defiling lever guns like that ! My "old guy nerve" is twitching and it's saying "it's just SOOOOOO wrong !" ;)

BuckingFastard
07-11-2012, 11:22 PM
You know, you guys are going to hell for defiling lever guns like that ! My "old guy nerve" is twitching and it's saying "it's just SOOOOOO wrong !" ;)
Agreed! I'd never call a rifle ugly they all have there place and purpose and if this one fills the purpose you built it for then good. I liked with the peep sight. you still have good vision take advantage of it :)

loki
07-12-2012, 03:33 AM

This kind of has double meaning... are you saying that 50cal has defiled his lever gun, or that those who aren't fans are defiling it with their comments?? :confused:

Logically the faster you can acquire your target then the better chance you have at filling your deep freeze, no?

Now optics choice aside, you'll soon find fast target aquisition to be the least of your concerns. If you are into hunting for speed you'll find yourself sorely dissapointed, or worse yet facing charges. You're going to realize after your first successful hunt that you spent more time glassing, counting tines, and making sure that what you're about to tag into is legal game of the target species. Fast target aquisition is not a regular topic when hunting, it's more of a concern for people who shoot for a living at something shooting back ;) (and of course those into action sport shooting, etc).

50calshooter
07-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Now optics choice aside, you'll soon find fast target aquisition to be the least of your concerns. If you are into hunting for speed you'll find yourself sorely dissapointed, or worse yet facing charges. You're going to realize after your first successful hunt that you spent more time glassing, counting tines, and making sure that what you're about to tag into is legal game of the target species. Fast target aquisition is not a regular topic when hunting, it's more of a concern for people who shoot for a living at something shooting back ;) (and of course those into action sport shooting, etc).

Agreed perhaps I should've worded that better...

I was trying to say that once you've identified fair game and the adrenaline starts flowing, fumbling around with a high powered optic vs throwing up essentially a 4x red dot would seem to be the quicker solution when seconds count....

Rory McCanuck
07-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Probably half of the deer I have shot have been with a quick shot,
while waling through the bush. While I'm not advocating taking pot
shots, if you've taken a full second to get a sight picture, Bambi
has been spooked and is long gone.

Ar180shooter
07-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Not out to lunch in the slightest. Looks like a nice hunting setup, and it would work well around Ottawa too (max 200yards for deer is about all you see around here).

50calshooter
07-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Probably half of the deer I have shot have been with a quick shot,
while waling through the bush. While I'm not advocating taking pot
shots, if you've taken a full second to get a sight picture, Bambi
has been spooked and is long gone.

My thoughts exactly.

blacksmithden
07-12-2012, 04:06 PM
I guess I shouldn't spout off too much. I made up a fiber optic front site for my Winchester model 94. I just couldn't get a good pin point on the factory blued one. I did however make up for it by putting on a Williams receiver mounted peep site ! :)

Rory McCanuck
07-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Den, I imagine that set-up wouldn't be much good for benchrest accuracy,
but for hunting, that's about perfect.
Put the big red dot on the deer, deer falls over.

I have the old gold bead on mine. It's nice, but the gold can sometimes get a
bit lost in the autumn leaves, dry grass etc. I just haven't had occasion to
change it out to the firesight setup. Missed an oppurtunity at a doe last year
because by the time she got across the field to me, I couldn't see the bead.
The was still legal daylight for shooting, but only about 15 minutes or so.
Perhaps the firesight would have allowed the shot ???
Hadn't really thought of it that way, was looking for a quick detach scope.
Maybe its time to investigate the firesight more....