PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a NU WAY propane heater

soopercooper
02-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Thinking of building but want to know from someone how the inside of a factory one is built, so as not to gas ones self

kennymo
02-01-2016, 08:56 AM
You are attempting to build your own propane heater? Is that the question? You're a bit vague here....

soopercooper
02-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Yep. If you google Nu WAY 4000 that's what I'm actually now building

kennymo
02-01-2016, 03:21 PM
I've put in and serviced a fair number of gas appliances....nothing quite like that though. Is there some sort of heat exchanger or is it more or less a wood stove with a gas burner? I'd say the most important bits as far as not 'gassing' yourself would be an adequately sized vent pipe and fresh air intake for the shack.
I assume ice shack or rustic hunting spot?

soopercooper
02-01-2016, 05:28 PM
I've put in and serviced a fair number of gas appliances....nothing quite like that though. Is there some sort of heat exchanger or is it more or less a wood stove with a gas burner? I'd say the most important bits as far as not 'gassing' yourself would be an adequately sized vent pipe and fresh air intake for the shack.
I assume ice shack or rustic hunting spot?

Wall tent

Ya the way the Nu way comp builds them is just a burner in a box and your heat goes straight out the 3-4" stove pipe. I'm going to baffle mine to try and get as much heat with less propane

kennymo
02-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Well, I'd consider figuring out how many BTU's you're putting out and check the stovepipe diameter against a gas code book. Though if it's just a couple BBQ burners 3-4" is probably enough....

Thought: what about drilling a few holes, passing a few steel tubes through the firebox and welding them in place? With air able to pass through the tubes above the flames, it would act as a bit of a heat exchanger. The tubes would add extra mass to increase the heating potential and give the hot gasses a greater surface area to pass over without restricting things too much. And then you wouldn't have to worry about any of the negative effects a baffle might have on gas combustion.... You'd just have to make sure the tubes were high enough in the box that the flame didn't impinge on them.

soopercooper
02-07-2016, 11:35 AM
here's a pic of the unit in rough
http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a626/Hogwild12/cid_853_zpsod0jij4a.jpg