PDA

View Full Version : Remington 783?

762shooter
02-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Anybody have some feedback about these rifles? Wholesale Sports has them on sale for $365 and Remington has a $40 rebate so they are pretty inexpensive.

I've read of stiff bolt lift, bolt handles breaking off and major feeding issues on some rifles. Are these issues anomalies or are they fairly frequent? Are they worth buying or not worth the risk?

zulu
02-04-2016, 11:17 PM
Goc member Blake bought one recently. Accuracy was good averaging 1.5 Moa from field positions with the cheap stuff. I noticed a few failure to loads and we fired about 120 rounds. Most of those failures came from me and not Blake. It being his rifle he knew how to account for a bit of bolt slop that I wasn't use too. For the price I'd say you really can't go wrong unless you are expecting the quality of a flag ship rifle.

Accuracy- good
Mag system -good
Balence - good
Trigger - good

Fit and finish- meh (this includes bolt slop and the blueing as well as the fit of the recoil pad (but the pad is nice)

Aftermarket still in the works but it seems easy enough rifle to work on.

Blake
02-04-2016, 11:29 PM
I think it's good for the price. If you are planning on turning it into a longer range precision tacticool rifle maybe splurge on something a bit more solid. Otherwise it's fun and cost effective, and got some decent groups considering I wasn't using a bipod and was laying in the snow. hope that helps. (I got it in .308 as a side note)

stevesummit
02-05-2016, 06:04 AM
It would make a cheap donor to start a build on

762shooter
02-05-2016, 01:07 PM
It would make a cheap donor to start a build on

It's not built on a Remington 700 action and there few if any after market parts available for it yet so I don't see it as a good prospect for a custom build. For now, it is what it is.

road kill
02-06-2016, 06:53 AM
I was told they are based on the Marlin rifle that was discontinued. Haven't dug around to see if it's true, there is a lot of good and bad info on the interweb.

Jkerrsy
02-29-2016, 11:09 PM
They shoot fairly accurate, will def fill your freezer if need be. Bolt is a little sloppy, I didn't like the molded sling mount versus a swivel mount. For the price it is a pretty decent rifle though.

tarrantula
02-29-2016, 11:15 PM
If you're over on CGN, Jerry from Mystic Precision has done some pretty cool things with these neat little rifles. He knows his stuff, and it is safe to say he is a fan.

tinbird
04-03-2016, 07:13 AM
It's remlin, 'nuff said

JustBen
04-03-2016, 07:29 AM
A guy at work swears by his. And he's not the kind of guy to BS you about guns.

Still, when I handled one at the gun counter, I couldn't get into it. I'd rather have a model 700 if I went with a Remington.

kennymo
04-03-2016, 07:57 AM
A guy at work swears by his. And he's not the kind of guy to BS you about guns.

Still, when I handled one at the gun counter, I couldn't get into it. I'd rather have a model 700 if I went with a Remington.

Yeah, I have a buddy who owns one in .308. I think it's probably about as good as an Axis or the Mossberg rifle. The flat finish is similar to my 870 Express and 597 HB, which leads me to believe a good coat of G96 or other quality oil would be in order before heading out into the damp. Otherwise orange spots may appear as if by magic.... I've been really tempted to try one in a small bore calibre to replace the Stevens as the coyote gun. People who haven't tried one will try and brush it off as complete junk, but the thing shoots. I don't think it's too far behind the basic SPS models, but it's far from being a 700 BDL or Sendero.

gtr
04-03-2016, 09:18 AM
I think its a get what you pay for, gun.

nlitend1
05-27-2016, 07:42 AM
I have one in 308. I bought for target practice and just in case I have to hunt later on.
I have no regrets. Spent more the scope than the rifle and is very accurate. Have had no failures or issues.