PDA

View Full Version : MeWe: A social network for those who despise social media

awndray
02-05-2016, 12:37 PM
You own your personal information and content. It is explicitly not ours.
You will never receive a targeted advertisement or 3rd party content based on what you do or say online. We think that's creepy.
You see every post in timeline order from your friends, family, and groups. We do not manipulate, filter, or change the order of your content or what you see.
Permissions and privacy are your rights. You control them.
You control who can access your content.
You control what, if anything, others can see in member searches.
We're a private network. That means we do not track or profile you.
Your privacy means we do not share your personal information with anyone.
Your "likes" and "loves" are for you and your friends. We do not monitor or mine your data.
Your face is your business. We do not use facial recognition technology.
You have the right to delete your account and take your content with you at any time.
https://mewe.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHLZGJGHdIg

MeWe is the social media alternative for the Ron Swanson in your life.

MeWe is a social network, and nothing more

Let’s face it: Facebook is kind of creepy. Between facial recognition technology, demanding your real name, and mining your accounts for data, social media is becoming increasingly invasive. Users have looked for alternatives to mainstream social media that genuinely value privacy, but the alternatives to Facebook have been lackluster.

MeWe is poised to change all of that, if it can muster up a network strong enough to compete with Facebook. On paper, the new social media site seems to offer everything Facebook does and more, but with privacy as a foundation of its business model. Said MeWe user Melissa F., “It’s about time someone figured out that privacy and social media can go hand in hand.”

User privacy and protection is key

MeWe prioritizes privacy in every aspect of the site, and in fact, users are protected by a “Privacy Bill of Rights.” MeWe does not track, mine, or share your data, and does not use facial recognition software or cookies. (In fact, you can take a survey on MeWe to estimate how many cookies are currently tracking you – apparently I have 18 cookies spying on me!)

You don’t have to share that “as of [DATE] my content belongs to me” status anymore

Everything you post on MeWe belongs to you – the site does not try to claim ownership over your content – and you can download your profile in its entirety at any time. MeWe doesn’t even pester you with advertising. Instead of making money by selling your data (hence the hashtag #Not4Sale) or advertising, the site plans to profit by offering additional paid services, like extra data and bonus apps.

It does everything but the creepy stuff

So what does MeWe do? Everything Facebook does, and more. You can share photos and videos, send messages or live chat. You can also attach voice messages to any of your posts, photos, or videos, and you can create Snapchat-like disappearing content.

You can also sync your profile to stash content in your personal storage cloud. Everything you post is protected, and you can fine-tune the permission controls so that you can decide exactly who gets to see your content and who doesn’t – “no creepy stalkers or strangers.”
http://theamericangenius.com/social-media/mewe-social-media-alternative-ron-swanson-life/

awndray
02-05-2016, 12:43 PM
For those who are interested, there is also Minds.com

Swampdonkey
02-05-2016, 01:35 PM
I knew Facebook was just a fad! So glad I didn't waste my time with it.

bettercallsaul
02-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Anyone seen Twitter stock lately? It's in the dumpster.

Twitter Stock Price (https://www.google.ca/search?q=twitter+stock&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=PPq0VtTpK8rymAHLvK-wDg)

awndray
02-05-2016, 01:41 PM
At a value of approximately $49B, I wouldn't call it a fad.

bettercallsaul
02-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Twitter? Or social media in general?

awndray
02-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Facebook.

lone-wolf
02-05-2016, 01:52 PM
Trying it out, as some local dealers/groups moved there

Swampdonkey
02-05-2016, 01:58 PM

Nortel, Enron, Duesenberg, GMC, Kodak, Polaroid, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, mullets, perms - all were king of the hill for awhile. Nothing more than funny stories now.

bettercallsaul
02-05-2016, 01:58 PM
I'm not against social media (is GOC social media?), but I am against Facebook. MeWe looks appealing.

lone-wolf
02-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Nortel, Enron, Duesenberg, GMC, Kodak, Polaroid, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, mullets, perms - all were king of the hill for awhile. Nothing more than funny stories now.

Mullets are still king

awndray
02-05-2016, 02:10 PM
There's a difference between a business and a trend.

(is GOC social media?)
No. It's a social network.

Swampdonkey
02-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Facebook is a business, social media is a trend?

firemachine69
02-06-2016, 07:39 PM

Seeing how one of the "majors" just lost $11B overnight, I'd say it is. :)

Edward Teach
02-10-2016, 03:33 PM
MeWe? Phonetically it's too close to this for my liking.

http://www.shewee.ca/

Doug_M
02-10-2016, 03:37 PM
MeWe? Phonetically it's too close to this for my liking.

Lol...yeah it is a horrible name. The Shewe looks like a...um....practical device though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RobertMcC
02-10-2016, 03:43 PM
I knew Facebook was just a fad! So glad I didn't waste my time with it.

Hipsters is a fad, man bun is a fad, gentleman haircut a fad. Facebook been around since before 2007. Far from a fad.

Zinilin
02-10-2016, 06:49 PM
Hipsters is a fad, man bun is a fad, gentleman haircut a fad. Facebook been around since before 2007. Far from a fad.

A Fad can span decades..

The tailfin era of automobile styling encompassed the 1950s and 1960s, peaking between 1957 and 1960. It was a style that spread worldwide, as car designers picked up styling trends from the US automobile industry, where it was regarded as the "golden age" of American auto design.[

The Cadillac 1948 fin styling proved popular, and its use spread to other models in the General Motors family of brands. Soon it was adopted by other manufacturers, with top Chrysler stylist Virgil Exner in particular taking the tailfin look on board. As confidence grew in the styling trend, the fins grew larger and bolder.

The most extreme tailfins appeared in the late 1950s, such as on the 1959 Cadillac Eldorado. Soaring, sharply pointed, and bearing twin round taillights, they engendered a backlash against the look. Tailfins descended throughout the early '60s, even adopting a downward slope on the 1965 Cadillacs. Mostly they disappeared, although in instances a sharp-edged quarter panel meeting a downward sloping trunk created the look if not illusion of fins. Vestigial tailfins, however, remained on American cars into the 1990s, at least as far as the 1993 Cadillac Sixty Special.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_tailfin

Mobusten
02-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Facebook has bought out something like 50 companies. They've got their dirty fingers in on virtual reality, I'm just waiting for the day they announce a retinal scan and maybe a blood sample required to use their device. So much facebook money in so many things, it may change, but I don't think it's going away. Just different ways to collect data on everybody.

lone-wolf
02-11-2016, 06:52 AM
Webcrawler and myspace are still king

TheHydrant
02-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Anyone seen Twitter stock lately? It's in the dumpster.

Twitter Stock Price (https://www.google.ca/search?q=twitter+stock&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=PPq0VtTpK8rymAHLvK-wDg)

there was a story I read just today that Jeb Bush posted a pic of his handgun on twitter with the caption "America".
They swiftly deleted his account

kennymo
02-24-2016, 07:13 PM
So, anyone found a decent MeWe Canadian gun trading site yet? Someone got into our Manitoba Hunting and Fishing Buy and Sell and reported all the firearm posts. Need something to recommend to 6,000 members before it vanishes....

lone-wolf
02-24-2016, 07:20 PM
So, anyone found a decent MeWe Canadian gun trading site yet? Someone got into our Manitoba Hunting and Fishing Buy and Sell and reported all the firearm posts. Need something to recommend to 6,000 members before it vanishes....

I'm surprised any are still left, all of PEI's groups are gone.
mewe sucks btw

Rory McCanuck
02-25-2016, 12:06 AM

Um, send them here?

Swampdonkey
02-25-2016, 12:12 AM

Um, send them here?
No man can serve two masters.

kennymo
02-25-2016, 06:38 AM
Um, send them here?

Lol, yeah I'm working on that too.... The forum way of things doesn't appeal to all though....

jwirecom109
02-25-2016, 07:13 AM
Lol, yeah I'm working on that too.... The forum way of things doesn't appeal to all though....
Free guns / gear in giveaways and discounts usually help :P

kennymo
02-25-2016, 07:31 AM
Free guns / gear in giveaways and discounts usually help :P

I'll add it to my post ;).