PDA

View Full Version : Are Science-Literate Smartypantses Selfish and Denialist?

94sahara
07-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Just read this and it got me thinking about how the anti's spin things to fit their personal ideologies.

Are Science-Literate Smartypantses Selfish and Denialist?

Are they? Well, some of 'em. Funsuckers are not immune, either. A new Yale study reports that people deny the existence of climate change not out of ignorance, but cognitive dissonance related to cultural cognition. The more science and numeracy literate you are, the more likely you are to uphold your immediate social group's beliefs rather than making logical conclusions based on fact.

What? Everyday people who are more informed about science, better at understanding numbers and comprehending qualitative information---they're more likely to fit the facts to their existing cultural prejudices? Yup. At least according to Dan Kahan, a professor of Law and Psychology at Yale.

You've probably got values you share with a group or community, and those values influence how you think about a bigger swath of humanity---Americans, say, or humans at large. (Never mind non-human animals, plants, the planet itself, etc.) If you're savvy, you'll rise above those influences when thinking about important stuff like whether you and your compatriots are destroying your own planet. Right? Bzzt. Wrong.

"In effect," Kahan said, "ordinary members of the public credit or dismiss scientific information on disputed issues based on whether the information strengthens or weakens their ties to others who share their values. At least among ordinary members of the public, individuals with higher science comprehension are even better at fitting the evidence to their group commitments." The ordinaries don't include pro scientists, we should note.

Additionally, smartypants people may be more selfish when applying facts to their beliefs. "What this study shows is that people with high science and math comprehension can think their way to conclusions that are better for them as individuals but are not necessarily better for society," says Ellen Peters of Ohio State University. Zowie. ---Tiffany Lee Brown

Banner created using images by Nemo on Pixabay under Creative Commons license.

http://showblogs.syfy.com/eureka/idealab/2012/07/are-science-literate-smartypantses-selfish-and-denialist.php

lone-wolf
07-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I guess the gun forum culture is why I don't believe 100% in global warming.
And here I thought it was because I was a logical person who doesn't take everything at face value.
Sounds like someone trying to fit culture opinion into something their own rationale can understand.

hillbillyr
07-14-2012, 09:48 AM
I guess the gun forum culture is why I don't believe 100% in global warming.
And here I thought it was because I was a logical person who doesn't take everything at face value.
Sounds like someone trying to fit culture opinion into something their own rationale can understand.

Yup, the religion of global warming will not tolerate disbelievers, all heretics must be ridiculed for not believing in false prophets, whom wish to profit on lies