PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Lee-Enfield SMLE no.4 Mk.1

Call-sign_ENIGMA
02-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Just curious as to how much a piece of Canadian history like that would cost and where would I find one.

jwirecom109
02-09-2016, 11:20 AM
I've seen them go for as low as 500, for a complete non matching, with rough wood, and as high as 900 for a complete matching with good wood. (only what I have seen)

They pop up at random on many different sites, and dealer's pages.

Waterloomike
02-09-2016, 11:31 AM
i may have one. let me have a look.

kennymo
02-09-2016, 11:40 AM
I think Jwire's pretty close. I wouldn't expect to get into one that's complete and ready to head to the range for under $600 right now, unless you're a lucky SOB... Canadian made Longbranches seem to have had a rather steep asking price the last couple years, to the point of ridiculousness now. I'm not sure if they're selling at over a grand, but some seem to think they're worth that much. A couple of other post war types built for small contracts are going high as well.

Sporters can still be had under $200 if you don't demand full history.... Actually some of the nicer sporters are mildly collectible in their own right. Cabela's has a Parker Hale conversion on the shelf right now....little rough around the edges but you can see it was done better than the average $10 out of an army surplus barrel hacksaw job you found back in the 60's.

SFRC occasionally has a few pop up in their surplus section. Worth keeping an eye out....

Justice
02-09-2016, 12:46 PM
You need to figure out how much money you can spend first. As mentioned, No. 4 Rifles, in decent safe to shoot condition, are running $200 plus for a bubba'd rifle that likely has bad headspace to over a grand or more.
Hit the gun shows, but learn about 'em first.
And a No. 4 Mk I is not an SMLE. Only the No. 1 Mk whatever is an SMLE.

Waterloomike
02-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Yep, i do have one. Full military stock. Bolt matches i believe but i have to hunt it up. It's here, though. I wrapped it in an oily rag. never fired it. got tired of messing with the cosmoline.

Phil97
02-11-2016, 08:09 PM
i just picked up a Canadian made longbranch two days ago from my local gun smith with all matching numbers and in excellent condition for 700$, just ask around and keep checking at your local gun dealers. They pop up quite frequently but are usually snapped up pretty quick. best place tho is a gun show, guaranteed to see atleast a dozen of various models there. Godd Luck with you search and keep us posted