PDA

View Full Version : ATV Battery Disconnects

jwirecom109
02-09-2016, 05:07 PM
So leaving the batteries on my quads, seemed to be a bad idea.

1 is completely dead and will not hold a charge (POS batteries)

1 is just dead and needs to be recharged.

My thought is having quick disconnects for a couple of reasons.

1 - Security, I can pull the battery connections in the bush or the like and no one would be able to start it even with the keys.
2 - Ease of removing the batteries during down time.
3 - Ease of putting them on trickle chargers.

All i seem to find is Trailer 6/8 AWG disconnects.

Anyone done this in the past and have any ideas.

Yes I could just unscrew the terminals but on the 500 HO the battery is under the left rear fender and a PITA to get to.

BrotherRockeye
02-09-2016, 05:17 PM
Battery minders are a good idea for seasonal equipment that's stored indoors.

An inline fuse would be an easy way to accomplish what you want. Pull the fuse and the connection is severed.

Likewise any shielded bullet or spade connector would work.

I know there are cable ends with disconnect knobs for automotive applications but I'm not aware of any for quads etc.

50 B.M.G.
02-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Why not just a simple "battery disconnect switch" as is found in most semi trucks? They handle 75 to 100 amps are waterproof and cheap.

jwirecom109
02-09-2016, 06:34 PM
I would use those methods but i want the ability to remove the batteries easier as well.

BrotherRockeye
02-09-2016, 06:58 PM
double up the bullet/spade connectors...

SIR VEYOR
02-09-2016, 07:57 PM
forklift style quick connects? Seen them in different sizes. One connection does both wires, stupid solid. Common with winches and similar

jwirecom109
02-09-2016, 08:05 PM
forklift style quick connects? Seen them in different sizes. One connection does both wires, stupid solid. Common with winches and similar

something like that should work well.

jwirecom109
02-09-2016, 08:08 PM
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/CONNECTOR-WIRE-CABLE/_/R-WWG3BY20

now that i look them up this should work

BrotherRockeye
02-09-2016, 10:44 PM
aren't those just fancy bullet/spade connectors? :p

blacksmithden
02-09-2016, 10:55 PM
Omg. Seriously ? You didn't ask me ? Lol

You're on the right track. They're called Anderson connectors or SB connectors. Get the grey ones as grey will plug into any other color by breaking off the dividing tab inside if you decide to do something different later. Get the 175 amp ones. The internal lugs come in different sizes for different size cable. You'll have to figure that part out. The lugs are held into the connector with a locking tab. There has to be a YouTube video out there on getting them out. It's a couple of seconds with a flat head screwdriver. Solder them onto the cable by holding the closed end in a pair of vise grips. Heat the side of the lug and slowly fill it with solder. Once its nearly to the top, insert the end of your cable. Keep heating for a few seconds until the solder starts to take to the cable strands. Any other questions, give me a call.

Edit: they do come in 50 amp, but that might be a bit light for a quad starter. Any idea of how much current they draw ? You can get away with 75 to 100 amps for a few seconds. The 50 amp rating is for continous current draw. I've measured 750 amps being pulled through the 350 amp ones on my booster cables and nothing melted or arced.

jwirecom109
02-10-2016, 07:55 AM
Omg. Seriously ? You didn't ask me ? Lol

Lol, well there are couple good insults I can throw in here but I'll avoid that :P

You're on the right track. They're called Anderson connectors or SB connectors. Get the grey ones as grey will plug into any other color by breaking off the dividing tab inside if you decide to do something different later. Get the 175 amp ones. The internal lugs come in different sizes for different size cable. You'll have to figure that part out. The lugs are held into the connector with a locking tab. There has to be a YouTube video out there on getting them out. It's a couple of seconds with a flat head screwdriver. Solder them onto the cable by holding the closed end in a pair of vise grips. Heat the side of the lug and slowly fill it with solder. Once its nearly to the top, insert the end of your cable. Keep heating for a few seconds until the solder starts to take to the cable strands. Any other questions, give me a call.

Edit: they do come in 50 amp, but that might be a bit light for a quad starter. Any idea of how much current they draw ? You can get away with 75 to 100 amps for a few seconds. The 50 amp rating is for continous current draw. I've measured 750 amps being pulled through the 350 amp ones on my booster cables and nothing melted or arced.

Looking at a 6 (doubled checked its 6) AWG Stranded Cable from the battery, based on single conductors in free air (which is basically is) your looking of a max of 105 running amps on the 6 on table 1. 75 amps of course if you go to table 2 :P of the CEC.

What does it Draw though in Real Life? Unsure, I sold most of my electrical gear including my meter and clamp meter to be able to get a true amp draw.

The most draw i'll likely get is via the winch under full weight which is 190 apparently and 19 under no weight, for the larger quad, so i'll see less on the smaller quad

Pizzed
02-10-2016, 08:26 AM
^As long as you don't add too much length and use a quality connector (crimped OR soldered correctly) you should be safe with #6.

RobertMcC
02-10-2016, 09:00 AM
Dad just wired up a NOCO Genius in his bike.

blacksmithden
02-10-2016, 09:23 AM
Lol, well there are couple good insults I can throw in here but I'll avoid that :P

Looking at a 6 (doubled checked its 6) AWG Stranded Cable from the battery, based on single conductors in free air (which is basically is) your looking of a max of 105 running amps on the 6 on table 1. 75 amps of course if you go to table 2 :P of the CEC.

What does it Draw though in Real Life? Unsure, I sold most of my electrical gear including my meter and clamp meter to be able to get a true amp draw.

The most draw i'll likely get is via the winch under full weight which is 190 apparently and 19 under no weight, for the larger quad, so i'll see less on the smaller quad

Honestly....I'd go with the 175 amp connectors under those circumstances. They're a bit heavier than you need, but you don't need to be inducing a voltage drop into the system on a cold morning. They aren't THAT big, but they're still big enough to get small charger cable clamps clipped onto the lugs right in the connector without having an actual connector on the charger as well.

jwirecom109
02-10-2016, 09:32 AM
not that i'm disagreeing with you Dennis (cause i would never do that :trool:)

But the 175 connectors are rated for 1/0 AWG which is generally a 50% increase in the conductor size. (.20 diameter inch to .37)

It would technically be swimming it in, and wouldn't add much value as the wire is only rated for 75-105 amps

a 120 amp rated connector is a 4 awg rated device and is only .03 diameter inches larger (.20 to .23)

jwirecom109
02-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Dad just wired up a NOCO Genius in his bike.

I have one similar, but not wired into the bike, as I have 2 ATVs and 1 motorcycle, i would prefer a charging station as its cheaper