PDA

View Full Version : Getting started in 3 gun

sasko31
02-12-2016, 02:42 PM
Justed getting set up for three gun, trying to keep things simple and cheap for starting out.
Running a dominion arms cqa with red dot, a Sig 226(on sale) and dominion arms grizzly mag fed shotgun(almost have it running smoothly, another 100 rounds and action should be smooth as silk.
Now just need to know how many mags for pistol and rifle to get?
And to just confirm type of holster to get.
And a rough round count on how much ammo to budget for per event.
Any help would be appreciated.

Run 'n' Gun
02-12-2016, 02:47 PM
I run 6 mags for the pistol, but that is typically overkill for 3 gun. I used to do IPSC, so I guess old habits. Rifle, I usually have 2 in mag pouches on the belt and at least another 3-4 in a drop leg pouch.
This is more than you would typically use on a stage, but if you have any issues with a mag/reload/failure to feed and you need to do an unplanned reload, better to have it and not need it.

blacksmithden
02-12-2016, 03:33 PM
I'm getting set up for this too. Running a Ruger SR45 for pistol, Smith & Wesson M&P 10 (thanks again Sabio) for rifle, and my trusty Remington 870 pump for shotgun. I want to go semi on the shotgun when money allows.....damned property taxes.

Anybody using a paddle holster for pistol, or does everybody run drop leg ?

Run 'n' Gun
02-12-2016, 03:51 PM
I use a Blackhawk Serpa and all Bladetech mag pouches (from Select Shooting). I run the 870 as well, I was going to switch to a semi, but I can run 8+1 vs. the 5+1. I haven't timed it, but the thinking was the time for extra reloads would exceed the cyclic rate difference.

I would love a Mossberg JM special though, a buddy reached out to Wolverine's and the only way they would bring one in was it was for police use.

Prairie Dog
02-12-2016, 04:13 PM
Some good information here:

http://gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?6829-3-Gun-getting-started

sasko31
02-12-2016, 11:56 PM
Hsgi belt with a couple tacos for pistol and rifle mags. Anything else for hauling stuff.
What else you need to haul besides ammo and a pistol for competition?

Run 'n' Gun
02-17-2016, 11:27 AM
That's about all for on your person, make sure you have a cart of some kind to move all your hardware and ammo from range to range. At the matches we have here, we don't stop for lunch, so some room for some snacks and water is a good idea.

M1911A1lvr
02-17-2016, 11:32 AM
wish we had 3 gun here in Quebec, I started 3 gun in Vt, but then moved back here to quebec for family medical reason. All my guns are still in VT. So waiting for the summer to start before I get shooting again.

blacksmithden
02-17-2016, 01:23 PM
I use a Blackhawk Serpa and all Bladetech mag pouches (from Select Shooting). I run the 870 as well, I was going to switch to a semi, but I can run 8+1 vs. the 5+1. I haven't timed it, but the thinking was the time for extra reloads would exceed the cyclic rate difference.

I would love a Mossberg JM special though, a buddy reached out to Wolverine's and the only way they would bring one in was it was for police use.

I plan on making a stupidly long magazine extension for my 870. If you can make a tube that will hold 10, why wouldn't you ? :)

RobertMcC
02-17-2016, 01:35 PM
My buddy asked me about 3 gun today.

He started to get all worried about setting up his guns for 3 guns and I said whats the point?. He says he wanted to be competitive.. I said we only have 1 match a year. Shoot whatever you want and have fun.

Our 3 guns is pretty much 3 separate matches using 3 guns. He was expecting use of 3 guns in 1 match. Its really not that popular here.

Run 'n' Gun
02-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Our club has a couple of matches a year, all 3 guns on one stage, some all shotgun, or pistol depending on which range we are fitting it into. I agree with your run what you brung comment, we have guys showing up with their 10/22's, a 28" pump, and whatever pistol they happen own.

Tyson Sommerville
04-04-2016, 06:41 PM
Hey guys, I know Im a little late to the conversation here but I am also thinking of getting into 3-gun. So far I own nothing useful for the competition but Im thinking since my birthday is coming up I might treat myself to an 870 to get started (or a cheap norinco 1911). Where and when do you guys do matches/meets and could I possibly come see what its all about? I live in Edmonton but I dont mind going for a drive down south if I had to. Thanks for any info guys!

superbad
06-19-2016, 08:01 PM
you should really read 3 gun nation rules. Decide what division you would like to shoot, and prepare your equipment so that you are not shooting a 45 acp in a division where everyone runs lower power 9mm ammo. Everyone who wants to be competitive runs an ar 15 rifle, a semi auto shotgun unless you are in heavy irons division, and a good 9mm pistol that works reliably. I started with an 870 and i was very fast with it, but once i got a semi it was just another world. I even made a 3 gun cart out of an old stroller, everyone laughed lol but it worked. i really didnt care what people thought, all they knew is i wanted to get fast and i did.

harbl_the_cat
06-19-2016, 10:43 PM
3-Gun Nation says there's only one group in Canada actually affiliated with them - shooting out of Lethbridge.

I contacted them and am looking to see if we can host some matches with them.

There definitely seems to be interest in the sport - my Monday night leagues are seeing a lot of interest and I have coming up on a hundred people on my mailing list.

We just need to get more formal in how we run it and a bit more people to help organize it.

I'm starting to get a bit burnt having weekly shoots depend solely on me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe9Au6A-QA5n8YzYA0ao8qw

TDC
06-20-2016, 11:25 AM
you should really read 3 gun nation rules. Decide what division you would like to shoot, and prepare your equipment so that you are not shooting a 45 acp in a division where everyone runs lower power 9mm ammo. Everyone who wants to be competitive runs an ar 15 rifle, a semi auto shotgun unless you are in heavy irons division, and a good 9mm pistol that works reliably. I started with an 870 and i was very fast with it, but once i got a semi it was just another world. I even made a 3 gun cart out of an old stroller, everyone laughed lol but it worked. i really didnt care what people thought, all they knew is i wanted to get fast and i did.

Not all matches abide by any set standard of rules.

TDC

harbl_the_cat
06-21-2016, 11:16 AM
My first foray into competitive shooting was an inter-service (military/law enforcement) 3-gun competition in CFB Edmonton in 2004 that loosely followed IDPA rules. Rumour was that the base commander had an aneurysm and kiboshed any future competitions. I wonder if it was on account of all the Reserves teams placing higher than the PPCLI team (who was disqualified for safety violations).

It got me hooked and is the reason I'm a gun owner today.

I guess I'm living the dream today, although I had a thought to see if there's an appetite for an inter-service/civilian 3-gun competition in Calgary... might be a bit of a pipe-dream though unless I can get a lot of support from my club members, the executive and chains of command at local LEO detachments and military units... a bit of an uphill battle, but maybe one I'll pursue (maybe).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwkVZUuIJaQ