PDA

View Full Version : Toronto wades into gun registry court fight

jwirecom109
07-16-2012, 08:00 AM
TORONTO - City council has ordered city legal staff to try to intervene in a gun registry court fight despite being warned it would be a costly move.

It voted 20-13 on Friday to order the city solicitor to seek leave to intervene in support of the Barbra Schlifer Clinic’s motion for an injunction to stop the destruction of long-gun registry data.

The Toronto legal clinic wants to save the registry the federal Conservatives have voted to scrap.

Councillor Pam McConnell, who moved the motion, suggested it was important for the city to provide its perspective on why the gun data should not be destroyed.

Before the vote, Mayor Rob Ford called any fight to maintain the gun registry "a waste of taxpayers’ money."

His brother, Councillor Doug Ford, told reporters the issue was a federal one.

Speaking before the vote, Ford indicated councillors were told by city lawyers that a legal fight would be costly and futile.

"They want to go out and spend half a million dollars on a case that we’re going to lose," said Ford.

"You don’t get into a fight that you know you aren’t going to win.”

Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday said when the gun registry was implemented, the city's position was that it was a federal responsibility.

The chances of the city changing anything by getting involved were "slim and none" said Holyday.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2012/07/14/19986561.html

chuckbuster
07-16-2012, 08:35 AM
"Toronto"...that sums it up.

harbl_the_cat
07-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Rob Ford seems like a pretty bang up guy.

jrcbecher
07-16-2012, 12:48 PM
To bad they can't just build a wall around the city of Toronto and stop up all the leaks and then forget them and let them drown in their BS and waste.

Prairie Dog
07-16-2012, 01:02 PM
To bad they can't just build a wall around the city of Toronto and stop up all the leaks and then forget them and let them drown in their BS and waste.

But then who would protect us from ourselves?

blacksmithden
07-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Can't we just quietly pick up Toronto, move it into Quebec somewhere, then build the wall ? :)

Haywire1
07-16-2012, 06:34 PM
wall it off, and forget abut it?

Skeetgunner
07-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Wow, is it a little bit CGN-like in here or what?

road kill
07-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Wow, is it a little bit CGN-like in here or what?

Possibly but i think most reasonable thinking people are sick of Toronto wanting to tell everybody else how to live and act. Only problem with giving them to Quebec is then they would have their hands out even more.

Skeetgunner
07-17-2012, 06:52 AM
Possibly but i think most reasonable thinking people are sick of Toronto wanting to tell everybody else how to live and act.

Does that justify the calling for the drowning of 2.6M people? I though this site was supposed to be different.

There are more Conservatives living in Toronto than there total population people in some Eastern and Western Provinces.

riderrick
07-17-2012, 09:00 AM
its polititions more than anything else. they dont care about money. they dont earn or generate money just stick their hands in the public money trough and spend spend spend. funny how its public money just the public has no real say on how its spent

westislandrifle
07-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Can't we just quietly pick up Toronto, move it into Quebec somewhere, then build the wall ? :)

HEY HEY HEY theres already enough garbage here can we link toronto to newyork i vote yes

Haywire1
07-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Does that justify the calling for the drowning of 2.6M people? I though this site was supposed to be different.

There are more Conservatives living in Toronto than there total population people in some Eastern and Western Provinces.

you are right, i ammend my earlier comment, had a run in with an anti, was still mad.

zulu
07-17-2012, 10:28 AM
skeetgunner- Does that justify the calling for the drowning of 2.6M people? I though this site was supposed to be different.

^ FUN POLICE! quick run

riderrick
07-17-2012, 03:51 PM
what????

MB29572
07-18-2012, 05:02 AM
I do smell a slight odour of comments that could have been vetted a bit before posting.

Guys,

Toronto has a conservative mayor.
Toronto has a conservative deputy mayor.
Toronto City Council is about 1/3 conservative and 1/3 undecided--so it can swing either way.

Toronto and surroundings has the highest concentration of handgun owners in Canada.

One problem? The mayor and his conservative pals have not figured out how to control council. The far-left elitists have more clout than they deserve--because they are organized.

And, they suffer with the far-left rag Toronto Star--with its big circulation--cheering from the sidelines. It is probably the only rag in the country still calling for a handgun ban.

The other problem? A cultural sub-group with a pathological social problem. And political correctness has been shielding them for over thirty years. That's almost three generations in that sub-group.

But, here is a scribe with the best analysis so far. Maybe he and his allies will not be ignored this time.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/17/time-to-demand-action-on-gun-crime

Also, Toronto has a new public housing boss. Gene Jones. He was brought in from Detroit. Here's what he said...

“(Canada) has stringent gun laws and they still get guns. In Michigan you can get a gun, you can get a concealed weapon, but they are not shooting like that. You get a pop here and a pop there, but not like it happened last night. I don’t understand it,” he said.
“Strict laws in Canada but kids still have an opportunity to get these guns. It is just amazing.”

So, after the Eaton Centre shooting, Chief Blair said that bullet bans are not the solution. Now, Gene Jones says that strict gun control laws are not the answer. (I notice, by the way, that most of the mass media have edited out the fact that Michigan has concealed carry and Detroit gangs are not as crazy shooters as Toronto gangs. )

Finally, I believe that Toronto and GTA gun owners must become politically active themselves and not wait for the overburdened and underfunded gun organizations to come to their rescue every time there's a gang shooting.

Jim
07-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Well let's hope if that is true that they continue to vote accordingly.

C Broad Arrow
07-18-2012, 06:47 PM
As someone who resides on Toronto's borders, the issue not spoken about in the news is what appears to be the resurgence of a drug war.This was a fight over turf and the young bucks who squared off were just soldiers from different factions. The lack of cooperation from the community, the non-existance of pictures or videos being provided to the police by the over 100 people or more who attended the BBQ and free booze party (reportedly put on for the benefit of neighbourhood children) underscore the unwillingness of the community to take responsibilty for the actions of its own members. The desire for local politicians to make it about gun control or the lack of programs or budget cuts are just diversionary tactics so they do not have to address the problem face on. Political Correctness gone wild. The Ontario Attorney General is now talking about a handgun ban once again, rather than addressing the problem directly.

MB29572
07-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Residents of these areas often call a "block party" a "children's party" to avoid police attention. The story is that the organizers spent $1,200 on booze for this "barbeque".

There probably is some kind of a turf war going on. Also, a number of bad guys have finished their disgustingly light gun crime jail sentences and are now out on the streets--to wreak revenge on anyone who crossed them before their incarceration.