PDA

View Full Version : Banned users

livewire0129
02-15-2016, 06:44 AM
Since I've joined I've noticed fellow users show up in pink from time to time. After checking their recent posts, it's sometimes very clear what they did to get banned, oftentimes, not so much. Is there an accountability system where someone reviews the reasons why someone is banned? If someone is banned from posting, how do they appeal if they are unable to post? What if a mod holds a grudge against a user for a personal reason and bans them without just cause? Are the moderators frequently moderated? I've read the rules and site policy, and was unable to find an answer. Sorry if I'm opening a can of worms with this post, but it's been a nagging concern for a while.

TheHydrant
02-15-2016, 06:52 AM
I don't think I've ever noticed anyone in pink before. Or at least never thought anything of it.
I know there is this thread which explains the MODS process of elimination.

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?6171-Infraction-System&p=55805#post55805

Also...I highly doubt the mods are the sort to hold any kind of grudge against other users. Yes they may disagree with, and even maybe dislike some members now and then but ultimately they understand that in the grand scheme of things we are all on the same team and are very lenient within certain boundaries. In other words they take into account different personality traits and understand that certain traits do not necessarily mean someone is a dick. Good intentions can sometimes come out wrong....it's the internet afterall. People can read things different ways. They know the difference. The mods would have to explain if there is an appeal process as I honestly have no idea, but given the details of their infraction system it would appear to me like that part is taken care of before the final decision is made to ban anyone.

awndray
02-15-2016, 06:53 AM
http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?t=10514

P.S. Wrong section.

kennymo
02-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Two ways to get pink here. One, rack up infractions until the system gives you an automated ban. Length of these bans vary, depending on how many current points you've racked up. The first ban is a week or so....
Second method, you spread so much chaos throughout the forum the mods decide to vote on a permanent ban. These are a last resort, and require a majority vote of moderators.
So if you've been infracted or banned, more than one moderator has had their say. If the reasons don't always seem completely obvious, it's likely because we've removed some particularly offensive or inflammatory material. We don't like deleting, but some things just can't stay in the public eye... And we generally give plenty of warning before issuing an infraction or ban, both in the threads and through PM's.
There are two ways to get instant and permanent bans without debate. One, shower the site with spam advertising. Two, get caught holding multiple accounts for either trolling purposes or trying to get around a short term ban....
Hope that adds a little clarity.

Gunexpert007
02-15-2016, 07:55 AM
I have only noticed a few bans ; but the bans were more or less expected when you review the persons posts....that being said , I do miss Strangeday's and Edenchef's contributions to the forum....

kennymo
02-15-2016, 07:57 AM
Strangeday is not banned....in fact it seems he pops in from time to time, but isn't saying much lately....

livewire0129
02-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Kennymo, thank you for the response. How would one know if they've been infracted?

Gunexpert007
02-15-2016, 08:22 AM
Kennymo, thank you for the response. How would one know if they've been infracted?

In most cases , you would get a PM from the mod giving the infraction ,along with the reason why...

blacksmithden
02-15-2016, 08:22 AM
There are a few procedures in place that prevent any one moderator from singling out a member. When a post pops up in our reporting section, it requires at the very least, two moderators to vote for an infraction. They also have to agree on what the infraction will be. The system then keeps track of the infraction points. Get enough points, and the member will get a time out. The time outs get longer the more it happens. In order for a member to be banned permanently, there has to be a round table vote that involves all moderators. Once there's a majority one way or the other, the member is either banned, or not. Admin has the final say on all matters of course.

Now.....all that being said, we might, and often don't even issue an fraction. Often we just send out a reminder of the site rules first. A members time on the site is taken into account, previous warnings, the severity of the transgression. If someone gets an infraction or a warning for something, and then just ignores it, that will have the entire mod staff keeping an eye open for them. Get another infraction or warning for the same thing and ignore it, then things tend to go downhill pretty fast.

We've always maintained that the key to this place remaining civil is all members being respectful to their fellow members and self moderation. We have always asked all members to be a part of keeping the place in order by using the report post button if they think they see something that crosses the line. That will set the review and vote process in motion. We know sometimes discussions become heated and we will sometimes just let things slide. The point being....no one moderator can pick on any one member. If you get an infraction, then you probably earned it. Anyone can appeal a decision to administration, but we're all pretty in tune with how they want the site run. Most decisions have stood after an appeal.

Anyway...I hope that answers some of your questions.
Cheers.

Edit.....and Kenny beat me to most of it....no fair !!!! I'm typing on a phone !!!!! Lol !!!!!

RobertMcC
02-15-2016, 08:49 AM
If you feel a mod has a personal vendetta against you, record it. I had one after me because my dad pissed in his corn flakes.The guy was scared of my pops, So went after me. Hes no longer a mod. And not here.

kennymo
02-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Edit.....and Kenny beat me to most of it....no fair !!!! I'm typing on a phone !!!!! Lol !!!!!

Well I was on a phone too, AND coping with my famous fat fingers at the same time....so....:p

kennymo
02-15-2016, 09:11 AM

Oh, you'll know.....

But seriously, you will receive a PM automatically from our high tech infraction software system. :p Usually with all the details of the post in question, unless it's widespread trolling or something like that. Then we'll assume you know where you've been a dumba$$....
And it's not like there won't be warning signs beforehand. We'd way rather post a subtle (or not so subtle) warning in a thread or fire a cautionary PM than check all the stupid little boxes on the infraction paperwork....I'm pretty sure they were designed with discrimination against the large fingered gentleman in mind......

RobertMcC
02-15-2016, 09:37 AM
Oh, you'll know.....

But seriously, you will receive a PM automatically from our high tech infraction software system. :p Usually with all the details of the post in question, unless it's widespread trolling or something like that. Then we'll assume you know where you've been a dumba$$....
And it's not like there won't be warning signs beforehand. We'd way rather post a subtle (or not so subtle) warning in a thread or fire a cautionary PM than check all the stupid little boxes on the infraction paperwork....I'm pretty sure they were designed with discrimination against the large fingered gentleman in mind......

Yeah I had a tendency to curse. Being that this site doesn't automatically **** it out. Yup you know when you got a infraction.

livewire0129
02-15-2016, 09:43 AM
Thank you all, I appreciate the insight.

zulu
02-15-2016, 11:11 AM
Huh, I didn't even notice strangeday's absence...I wonder what he's up too. I believe I saw some poeple who talk a lot like reignczeck pop in now and then

Battle Beaver
02-15-2016, 11:52 AM
I heard infractions can be reversed with large gifts of bacon?

Inquiring minds want to know....

http://www.battlebeaver.com/images/pigemoji.png

;D

Battle Beaver

kennymo
02-15-2016, 11:56 AM
^^ We only offer ban insurance. Nothing after the fact. For lbs of bacon per ban rates and my home shipping address, please send a PM.....(bacon)

Rory McCanuck
02-15-2016, 01:49 PM
Huh, I didn't even notice strangeday's absence...I wonder what he's up too. I believe I saw some poeple who talk a lot like reignczeck pop in now and then

Strangeday earned a three day time out for accumulated points. That timed out long ago, and he is more than welcome to come back and continue posting.
I quite miss his insights.

As for the other, you weren't the only one, and you'll notice it was 'then' and not so much 'now' ;)

tigrr
02-15-2016, 03:38 PM
It would be cool to have a thread that states if the member banned is permanent or temporary. I don't care why, just if they are coming back or not. Maybe a thread that list temporary time outs!! Forget about the permanent ones.

jwirecom109
02-15-2016, 03:47 PM
It would be cool to have a thread that states if the member banned is permanent or temporary. I don't care why, just if they are coming back or not. Maybe a thread that list temporary time outs!! Forget about the permanent ones.

Thank you for the input, but as stated previously we will not be creating a thread or section to point out banned members temp or otherwise.

Zinilin
02-15-2016, 03:51 PM
Thank you for the input, but as stated previously we will not be creating a thread or section to point out banned members temp or otherwise.

Not even a points leader board?

Lee Enfield
02-15-2016, 04:53 PM
Strangeday earned a three day time out for accumulated points. That timed out long ago, and he is more than welcome to come back and continue posting.
I quite miss his insights.

As for the other, you weren't the only one, and you'll notice it was 'then' and not so much 'now' ;)

SD has been here, just not posting. I have had a couple email conversations with him and he is doing well.

Remember "the walls have ears".

RobertMcC
02-15-2016, 06:12 PM
Is the anti Christ coming back ?

Gaidheal
02-15-2016, 06:50 PM
SD has been here, just not posting. I have had a couple email conversations with him and he is doing well.

I *was* going to offer to make him some smoked meat, but...

Lee Enfield
02-15-2016, 08:32 PM
I *was* going to offer to make him some smoked meat, but...

Send it to me, I will give it the taste test and let him know if it is worth accepting your offer?

BrotherRockeye
02-16-2016, 12:46 AM

tenderness when you sit :run:

Foxer
02-16-2016, 12:57 AM
Edit.....and Kenny beat me to most of it....no fair !!!! I'm typing on a phone !!!!! Lol !!!!! Slagging kenny? That's an infraction....

Swampdonkey
02-16-2016, 01:06 AM

Is he still on our side? Every man has his price.

tdod101
02-16-2016, 05:58 AM
Slagging kenny? That's an infraction....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQR-cPXlmY