PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

Prairie Dog
07-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Educate me! I've never owned a Jeep but always wanted to. I especially like the XJ Cherokee for its size and what I would want/need it for.

Are some years better than others? Problem areas with specific years? Select Trac vs Quadra Trac? I do know I want a 4.0L come the time.

I found a couple similar to this: http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1998-Jeep-Cherokee-Sport-W0QQAdIdZ395203380 but would imagine by the time I get the money saved they will be long gone.

It would be predominately a second vehicle, used mostly in winter and to get off the beaten path occasionally , but not any extreme off roading.

lone-wolf
07-16-2012, 02:18 PM
My Friend has a 2door 94 XJ with the 4.0 High Output engine.
Seems like a good relatively powerful engine, no worse on gas then other 4L engines.
31" tires rub though.

Don't know what those Trac terms are. His is 4x4 with a limited slip rear end.
Never buy a 4x4 with an open rear end, I did twice and it always seem to be the limiting factor.

Jameson
07-25-2012, 03:27 AM
I have owned a couple, The 4.0l is a great engine for sure. If memory serves me correct the Cherokees prior to 1990 or 1991 were prone to more engine/transmission issues. I believe in 1997 the interior was redesigned and the body received some minor changes as well.

From what I remember the quadra trac was a full time 4wd system that could not be put into 2wd which was hard on fuel mileage. The command trac is a standard transfer case with 2wd, 4wd hi, 4wd low. And select trac has the same with the addition of a full time 4wd feature, which is awesome for dry roads with icy/wet sections as it prevents the 4wd from binding on dry surfaces. In my opinion, Select Trac is the way to go.

I do miss my old Cherokees sometimes, I was always impressed at how much snow they could plow through.

SlickTrick
07-26-2012, 04:20 AM
^^^^ Correct.

You definitely want the Selec-Trac. I would not buy a Jeep without it.
- Full-time 4x4 is for winter driving. Safe on pavement, minimal to no binding.
- Part-Time 4x4 is for off pavement only. Loose surfaces only, it will bind on pavement, possibly damage parts.
- Lo-4x4 alters the torque split front to rear, it is for off-road only. If you run it on dry pavement, its going to get expensive.
- 2x4 is for normal daily driving obviously.

When you disengage 4x4 from off-roading, do it while still "off-road" and roll ahead and give the wheel a few turns in each direction. Its not required, but I like to back up 10 feet when disengaging 4-lo just to make sure.

When you have problems engaging/disengaging, the fix is 'usually' cheap, there is a solenoid on the transfer-case that is 'usually' the problem.

Not sure on the XJ, but the ZJ has issues with the rear gate rusting, and the KJ is a PIG on gas!
If you look after it, rust check it annually, and deal with maintenance it should go a long ways. The 4L engines are really reliable if you do your oil changes properly.

WOW, I just looked at your link... $3800 for that is way too much. It has over 200K on it. Not sure what used prices are in your area, but you can do better than that.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-Jeep-Cherokee-sport-SUV-W0QQAdIdZ399388289
Similar Jeep, close mileage, $2000 cheaper.

westislandrifle
07-26-2012, 06:53 AM
My Friend has a 2door 94 XJ with the 4.0 High Output engine.
Seems like a good relatively powerful engine, no worse on gas then other 4L engines.
31" tires rub though.

Don't know what those Trac terms are. His is 4x4 with a limited slip rear end.
Never buy a 4x4 with an open rear end, I did twice and it always seem to be the limiting factor.

the main thing you want is a model that has the dana 35 rear axle and a dana 35 or 30 front as for the rubbing 31 put the rough country 2inch wheel spcers they run about 60 an axle to buy

Prairie Dog
07-26-2012, 07:03 AM
^^^^ Correct.

You definitely want the Selec-Trac. I would not buy a Jeep without it.
- Part-Time 4x4 is for off pavement only. Loose surfaces only, it will bind on pavement, possibly damage parts.
- Lo-4x4 alters the torque split front to rear, it is for off-road only. If you run it on dry pavement, its going to get expensive.
- 2x4 is for normal daily driving obviously.

When you disengage 4x4 from off-roading, do it while still "off-road" and roll ahead and give the wheel a few turns in each direction. Its not required, but I like to back up 10 feet when disengaging 4-lo just to make sure.

When you have problems engaging/disengaging, the fix is 'usually' cheap, there is a solenoid on the transfer-case that is 'usually' the problem.

Not sure on the XJ, but the ZJ has issues with the rear gate rusting, and the KJ is a PIG on gas!
If you look after it, rust check it annually, and deal with maintenance it should go a long ways. The 4L engines are really reliable if you do your oil changes properly.

WOW, I just looked at your link... $3800 for that is way too much. It has over 200K on it. Not sure what used prices are in your area, but you can do better than that.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-Jeep-Cherokee-sport-SUV-W0QQAdIdZ399388289
Similar Jeep, close mileage, $2000 cheaper.

I said 'educate me' and you did just that. Thank you!

the main thing you want is a model that has the dana 35 rear axle and a dana 35 or 30 front as for the rubbing 31 put the rough country 2inch wheel spcers they run about 60 an axle to buy

How can you tell? VIN or RPOs?

Thanks all, keep 'em coming!

Looky
07-26-2012, 08:21 AM
An old couple I have as friends bought new in 1993 a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
All the bells and whistles for a mafia wagon.
One thing that kept cropping up was the exhaust manifold.
It looks header like and three pipes forward and the three pipes rearward collect together.
At this point, the manifold cracked.
The down range O2 sensor was getting fooled and the engine ran rough triggering the "check engine"
light.
Not sure if the model you are looking at has this same exhaust manifold set up and in what years it
was used.
Worthy of a look and make sure all the mounting studs are there two.
This one spit one out and of course it was the last one closest to the firewall.
Don't be in a hurry.
Good luck.

Haywire1
07-26-2012, 08:46 AM
as far as the axles, all cherokees came with dana 30 front axles, 94 and up the axle ujoint are the same size as half ton dana 44 axles, making the 94 and up front ends the strongest. as far as the rears, most came with dana 35's, a select few came with dana 44's, IF you can find one of these, buy it, as they are the strongest axle combo for the cherokee. you can tell the difference in the rear axles visually, here is a dana 35
http://www.800-923-jeep.com/techCorner/images/d_dana35.jpg

here is a dana 44
http://industryfigure.com/berkeley/Jeep/dana44/cover_dana44.jpg

if you can find one with selectrac, these are the best of the xfercases IMHO, as you have fulltime 4x4, and part time 4x4 options.

as far as the rest goes, make sure the one you are buying is 1991 and up, as the fuel injection system used from 88-90 is notorious for being unreliably with age. for the heavy rear axle, look for trailering package in the RPO, its been a while, so i dont remember what it is, couple minutes searching should find it for you.

These are great little rigs, I have built and thrashed many of these over the years as off road 4x4s

RobSmith
07-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Used to own one (96 Cherokee Classic, Select-trac, Inline 6). The thing was simply unstoppable. I do miss it but I simply could no longer afford the gas at the time.

lone-wolf
07-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Pretty sure they also come with the chrysler 8.25 for the rear end.

These two seem backwards to me.

Haywire1
07-26-2012, 02:07 PM
in full time 4x4 the transfer case has a mechanism to allow different speeds between the front and rear drive shafts, this is the method used in awd cars for example, part time 4x4 when engaged, forces the front and rear drive shafts to turn at the same rate, like in a typical 4x4 truck. full time allows for turns etc, part time does not. if you were to use the part time system(2wd 4wd 4low) on pavement in 4wd for an extended amount of time, the lack of "slippage" allowed usually results in the transfer case blowing apart.

in short, fulltime 4x4 means the vehicle is always in 4x4, no 2wd(except selectrac, which has the 2wd option as well) part time is meant to be driven in 2wd, and in 4wd IF NEEDED

SlickTrick
07-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Pretty sure they also come with the chrysler 8.25 for the rear end.

These two seem backwards to me.

Yep, it does seem that way, it is counter intuitive for sure, but its correct :)

P0WERWAGON
08-10-2012, 02:25 PM
of you plan on wheelin the truck, DON'T get the select trac. there are no gear sets for it, but make sure you get the one with a fixed output shaft. there are no kits for a slip yoke 242 case.

don't worry about the rear gear. swap in a 8.8 from an explorer. you get disc brakes and stronger diff that way.

anything more than 2 inches and you NEED to invest in a long arm system. short arms suck and cause all kinds of issues in the long run.

lone-wolf
08-10-2012, 10:26 PM
You'll have to fight ranger owners for that 8.8

I have one with 4.88 gears(drum brakes though) waiting to go in a truck.

superbrad
08-12-2012, 06:31 PM
I had one... Loved it... Be prepared to spend a lot of time at the pumps though...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Jarlath
08-12-2012, 08:44 PM
I owned a 1996 Jeep Cherokee, 4 door, 4.0L I-6, selec-trac tranny 4x4. Bought in 1998 and 392K km on it before the school bus wrote it off in February 2012 (parked on the road near a school, with my wife dropping kids of at the school, inside the school).

Did all my own maintenance. Two alternators, two water pumps, one starter, one fuel pump (The one untraceable part), all four door handles in 2009, floor boards in fall of 2011. Oil change every 3000km, never ever came even close to failing an E-Test. Was my wife's vehicle for the last 5 years.

Absolutely ZERO drivetrain issues, the 4.0L was a beast. Plan was to ride it into the ground. It lasted 14 years in my possession before the choice was taken from me.

That being said. 77L tank = 550-600km at BEST, because it was aerodynamic like a brick. @165km/h it floated and was semi-scary to drive :)

matty86suk
09-15-2012, 03:28 PM
I have a 98. Good rig, brings me to hell and back every time, love the 4l, kinda a gas pig but lots of torque and reliable, mine has the 8.25 rearend, I beat on it with 31s and she hOlds together good, gonna replace it with another one soon, as my 98 is getting rough, still super reliable though.

YukonLeftie
12-12-2012, 04:29 AM
Never owned a XJ myself, but Ive worked on a number of them (being a Chrysler tech and all); overall decent units.

Personally though, I love my Wrangler; the Rubicon Unlimited package with the 3.6L, 6 speed manual and 4.10 gears. Milage is slightly better than my old Dodge PowerRam...

Beltfed
03-01-2013, 12:08 AM
I had a 96' Cherokee with select trac, slip yoke eliminator kit and 4" rubicon express long arm lift with 2" spacers. I ran 32"x11.5" tires with the stock 3.73 gears in the 30/35. The wheeling I did was pretty tame compared to my CJs, but they are capable little off roaders.
If I built one again I'd stick to 31"x10.5" and a quality lift. Anything over 3" in lift, and you'll want a SYE on the back of the transfer case.

Prairie Dog
03-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Thanks all. I guess I should update what I did. I couldn't justify having two vehicles so back in November I traded my car in for a new truck. Some day down the road I might undertake a project vehicle and I'll consider the XJ again.

Strewth
03-01-2013, 01:55 AM
Pics? Whatja get?

Prairie Dog
03-03-2013, 01:17 AM
'12 Nissan Titan

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/sigp226rfan/blacktitan_zps91cbbd3d.jpg

Strewth
03-03-2013, 01:40 AM
O rite, I think you mentioned that...nice truck!

Canuck
03-03-2013, 01:49 AM
O rite, I think you mentioned that...nice truck!

Love the color!

Prairie Dog
03-03-2013, 01:55 AM
Love the color!

...it was either that or a red one. :)

Strewth
03-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Love the color!

That was the quickest paint job I've ever seen, your wife is an artist:)

leadslinger
11-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Used to own one (96 Cherokee Classic, Select-trac, Inline 6). The thing was simply unstoppable. I do miss it but I simply could no longer afford the gas at the time.
Maybe its the one i still have as a daily driver, still going strong, but rusting a bit on the underside.
300plus Kms, love the Select trac option.

RobSmith
11-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Could very well be, she had just shy of 200k when I let her go. Is there a cigar burn on the ceiling ? lol

Maybe its the one i still have as a daily driver, still going strong, but rusting a bit on the underside.
300plus Kms, love the Select trac option.