PDA

View Full Version : Fix 2.5X or a 2-7x32 scout scope?

RobertMcC
02-17-2016, 08:54 AM
What would you run? I got a bubba mosin that has zero sights. Just the rear base and there isn't a front sight on it at all so sights is not an option.

Either going with a dovetail low adapter or maybe a rear sight one. BUT want to limit the amount that might loosen up. Any recommendations on a solid rear mount?

So not sure if I want to go with a 2-7 or a fixed 2.5" I'll be only shooting at 100Y.

kennymo
02-17-2016, 09:17 AM
S&K makes two types of scout mounts, they've got a pretty solid rep with their Instamount no drill line for military surplus rifles. I know their Enfield mounts are well regarded among collectors with fading eyesight ;).
Their Weaver style doesn't look all that different from the more inexpensive options (like a certain Sun Optics mount someone has for sale :rolleyes:), but they offer a different version with their proprietary rings that appears good and solid....

For the scope, six one way, half dozen the other.... 2.5x is probably all you'd need to get a Mosin near it's accuracy limits at 100 yards.... 2-7x just gives you options. I find the 2x more than adequate at 100, and way better close up than some more powerful options. When I move back to 2 or 300, it's nice to be able to dial it up.... Mine isn't a scout though, YMMV.

RobertMcC
02-17-2016, 10:50 AM
I went with a 1 piece med dovetail mount that I could attach direct to the dovetail under ( figure only 1 degree off that shouldnt effect too much at 100Y ) I forgot I don't have a upper handguard so I can go with the slightly longer mount. I went also with a 2.5X scope.