PDA

View Full Version : Knee Pads

FlyingHigh
02-21-2016, 07:20 PM
I'm doing my EMR course in a couple weeks. There's lots of kneeling involved with first aid and since the course is 2 weeks long, my knees will take a beating. I'm planning on ordering a pair of pads tomorrow so hopefully they arrive in time.

I don't buy crappy gear and subscribe to the buy once, cry once theory. I'll also likely end up using these pads for other things, such as shooting and home renos so I don't mind paying for quality. I'm not going to Cambodian Tire and buying a pair, as I've tried most of their offerings and found them if not only sadly lacking, downright worse than kneeling without pads.

The two pads I've found are the Arcteryx knee caps and the Alta knee pads, both from DS Tactical. I'm leaning heavily towards the Arcteryx as they appear to be better designed and Arcteryx gear is among the best I've ever owned and used.

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Arcteryx:

http://www.dstactical.com/product_info.php?products_id=1330

Alta:

http://www.dstactical.com/product_info.php?products_id=201

Kenwp
02-21-2016, 07:58 PM
Ask baby Trudeau's gophers what they use. Lee valley lists some better ones don't know if they fit the bill.

jwirecom109
02-21-2016, 08:05 PM
Too many jokes I'm out.

RobertMcC
02-21-2016, 08:26 PM
Too many jokes I'm out.

HAHAHAHAH

oohhhhh I'm giving him a set.

kennymo
02-21-2016, 08:34 PM
I'm intrigued by the first pair. They look a little different from anything I've tried at work. I always end up going back to my leather and felt pads. Not the best cushion, but the single lower strap without any sort of elastic doesn't chew the f##k out of the back of my leg. Good enough for plumber's work....

Princess Auto is hawking a little different setup from anything I've seen too. Modular pads, start by choosing from a couple different harness systems, different cushion inserts and then various interchangeable knee caps. Big squared off lugs for rough terrain, standard rounded cap for general purpose, a no mar cap for finishing work on nice floors, etc.... Haven't seen anyone use a pair yet though....

FlyingHigh
02-21-2016, 08:44 PM
Thanks to RobertMcC, I'll have a pair of the Alta pads. I may order the Arcteryx at some point as well and do a side by side comparison. Naturally I'll post here if I do. :)

ESnel
02-21-2016, 09:41 PM
I use 1/4" neoprene doubled up in my work pants knee pad pockets...can't stand the straps on conventional knee pads plus get the neoprene for free.

blacksmithden
02-21-2016, 10:18 PM
Tagged for interest. Fixing forklifts involves a lot of kneeling. I've tried many kinds over the years, but they all drove me nuts because the straps would wind up bunched up behind my knees. I've tried everything that Crappy Tire, Home Depot, and the various other big box stores have to offer, and have eventually thrown them behind the seat of the service truck and forgotten about them until I change trucks...then they all hit the garbage can. A buddy of mine who does hardwood flooring told me about some padded leather ones that he had that basically just hung in front of your knee. One strap around your leg above the knee, and a strap going up to your belt to hold them up. I never did find out where he got them.

kennymo
02-21-2016, 10:31 PM
Tagged for interest. Fixing forklifts involves a lot of kneeling. I've tried many kinds over the years, but they all drove me nuts because the straps would wind up bunched up behind my knees. I've tried everything that Crappy Tire, Home Depot, and the various other big box stores have to offer, and have eventually thrown them behind the seat of the service truck and forgotten about them until I change trucks...then they all hit the garbage can. A buddy of mine who does hardwood flooring told me about some padded leather ones that he had that basically just hung in front of your knee. One strap around your leg above the knee, and a strap going up to your belt to hold them up. I never did find out where he got them.

Neighbour does tile setting. He gets his custom made from some mail order place, and I'd go that route if I was on my knees all day. You send in a few measurements of your leg circumference at different points, and some specific distances from ankle to kneecap and stuff like that... A few weeks and $150 later your custom fitted leather knee pads from heaven arrive. Leather knee, squared off so you don't roll side to side, and they run about 2/3 of the way down your shin. At the bottom end there's a brace sticking out to take the weight off your toes, makes all the difference in the world if you're going to be in that position for a few hours at a time apparently....

I'm up and down ladders too much for that though... Those single strap jobbies still seem to be the best compromise....

I've been considering getting a pair of work pants that take the foam inserts in the double knee though....anyone using them?

ESnel
02-21-2016, 11:37 PM
I've been considering getting a pair of work pants that take the foam inserts in the double knee though....anyone using them?

I'm using them,current work pants are the Helly Hansen which I like much better then my Carhartts. I make my own inserts out of neoprene,don't notice I have as I walk around.I'm up and down ladders,kneeling on cat walks,concrete etc. I'm doing industrial/HV and commercial electrical.

kennymo
02-21-2016, 11:50 PM
Yeah, I've been a Carhartt guy for a long time, but I'm finding I'm not getting as much life out of them as I remember. I was thinking of trying a pair of the brand Lee Valley is selling. They have the knee pockets. Princess Auto has some foam camping rolls in the surplus section that would probably keep me in homemade knee pads for a couple years at least....

sasko31
02-22-2016, 01:26 AM
I'm using them,current work pants are the Helly Hansen which I like much better then my Carhartts. I make my own inserts out of neoprene,don't notice I have as I walk around.I'm up and down ladders,kneeling on cat walks,concrete etc. I'm doing industrial/HV and commercial electrical.

Blaklader work wear make pants with knee inserts. Have tried all different types of knee pads and nothing was either comfortable or use able.
With the pads always in the pants you never forget them in truck or leave them at home.
The pants are incredibly long wearing as an added bonus.

road kill
02-22-2016, 06:11 AM
I like the looks of the Arcteryx pads, the ones I use were made for roofers with a very durable front. Work very well on concrete and gravel when working on equipment. No idea who made them they are 20 years old.

lone-wolf
02-22-2016, 07:18 AM
Everytime I got to do plugs/covers on a job, it's a godsend anytime I can snag a piece of styrofoam or thick cardboard for kneeling on.

RobertMcC
02-22-2016, 08:40 AM
I can say I enjoyed the Alta more than the Issues one.

ESnel
02-22-2016, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I've been a Carhartt guy for a long time, but I'm finding I'm not getting as much life out of them as I remember. I was thinking of trying a pair of the brand Lee Valley is selling. They have the knee pockets. Princess Auto has some foam camping rolls in the surplus section that would probably keep me in homemade knee pads for a couple years at least....

The Helly Hansen go on sale at Mark's on regular bases paid $80 vs $109 couple month ago.I'm going to try and pick up some neoprene this week and there will be some with your name on it if your interested.

TV-PressPass
02-23-2016, 11:06 AM
The arcteryx units are pretty solid, I really like mine. But with any knee pad: if you're walking far, they're going to slip. Part of why those high speed guys love the crye pants with built in knee pads

RobertMcC
02-23-2016, 11:38 AM
The arcteryx units are pretty solid, I really like mine. But with any knee pad: if you're walking far, they're going to slip. Part of why those high speed guys love the crye pants with built in knee pads

That's the issue we had with the issued pad. They were designed sorta like the Arcteryx that they slipped down or the strap some how came off.

MPH
02-23-2016, 10:29 PM
That's the issue we had with the issued pad. They were designed sorta like the Arcteryx that they slipped down or the strap some how came off.

Nothing like one of your knee pad straps coming off mid section attack.

SKULLBOY
04-09-2016, 04:01 PM
I have the Alta and Arcteryx.

Much prefer the Arcteryx for comfort and fit.

All knee pads will slip/slide, but I found the Arcteryx stayed in place better the the Alta.

FlyingHigh
04-09-2016, 04:06 PM
I've been using both. I gave them both a work out at my course and I'm now giving the Altas a test run at work. Arcteryx do certainly stay in place better and I'll be using them for more active applications such as shooting. I find the Altas more comfortable for longer term kneeling, eg welding.

My final thoughts:

For run and gun stuff and other active applications, go Arcteryx.

For prolonged kneeling,such as construction work the Altas are great.