PDA

View Full Version : Process on how to purchase a restricted?

sprbloggins
02-22-2016, 11:03 AM
Hi fellow shooters

Just received my restricted and now I'm looking at purchasing a restricted.
Have my eye on a few items here so do I just show up talk with the salesmen present my card and wait?
I noticed there is no other info on my card as others have mentioned in past posts.
All info is very much appreciated.

Cheers

awndray
02-22-2016, 11:15 AM
Rule #1: Have a lot of patience.

Here's a really dumbed-down version of the steps that will take place:

Buyer becomes member of a club and obtains Long Term Authorization To Transport (LTATT)*
Buyer finds gun
Seller verifies the buyer's ID
Buyer pays the seller
Seller initiates the transfer with the CFO
Buyer confirms the transfer with the CFO
CFO makes up various excuses as to why it's taking so long to rubber-stamp the transfer
Buyer starts shopping for ammo and other accessories
Buyer gets impatient
CFO finally approves the transfer and sends notification to seller and buyer
CFO provides Short Term Authorization To Transport (STATT)
Seller sends gun via Canada Post
Buyer's patience wears thin
Canada Post leaves parcel on front porch
Buyer freaks out
Buyer forgets about Canada Post stupidity once gun is in hand
Buyer takes a day off from work to go try out gun at range

*This is currently being fought in the courts, but for now let's just assume that we have to comply.

For very vague information about the process, you can check this: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/sell-vendre-eng.htm
http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?13145-Selling-restricteds&p=133475&viewfull=1#post133475

Justice
02-22-2016, 11:24 AM
No more club sponsored LTATT's until Junior changes the law. Carry permit comes with the licence now. However, the part about being required to join a club just to own a restricted firearm is CPFO policy, not a law. May not apply in AB either, but it's required to shoot anyway.
Most clubs have a probationary period as well. Good time to try as many handguns on for size as you can before buying. Other club members will help you, including letting you try their stuff for the asking.
You should only be dealing with one salesman too.

kennymo
02-22-2016, 01:16 PM
I assume you're shopping in a reputable gun shop by the 'salesperson'? Join a gun club. Then go to your friendly neighbourhood gun shop, pull out your RPAL card and your wallet and say 'I'll take that one!'. They will verify your RPAL, then you lay down the coin, and they'll initiate the transfer. Give it a day, call the CFO's office for your province and give them the reference number provided to you by the store. Then they'll probably want a fax or scan of your club membership. Check back repeatedly until the transfer is approved (this time will vary depending on province. Out West it's not usually much more than a day or two). Request an e-mail with your transfer notification, print it out, it will serve as your temporary registration until the real paperwork shows up via snail mail. Take your printed off copy of the transfer notification to your gun shop, along with a lockable case and trigger lock. Pick up your gun, secure it and head home. At the current time, your RPAL card paired with a valid club membership is all you need to transport your restricted gun home from the store, to the range and back or to a gunsmith. The current Federal government is looking at changing that back to paperwork required in the future, so if you wait too long my advice will change slightly.....

Awndray's version of events is more for online sales or private purchases ;).

TacticalCanuck
02-23-2016, 07:19 AM
The term "hurry up and wait" will become familiar to you.

I cant add to the advice offered here other than to say, hurry up and wait.

sprbloggins
02-25-2016, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the helpful info gents.
Bought my first Restricted yesterday and with the help of the staff at CSC it all went smooth.....now I just have to wait.

ctsfinck
02-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Tell us! Tell us! What did you get?

Jkerrsy
03-14-2016, 11:35 AM
Waiting on my first restricted purchase, ordered online March 1st. Called today March 14th to talk to the CFO and was told I didn't need to be put through to him as transfers usually take 10 business days or more. Wanted to make sure he got my range info last week. Seems like it's been months lol.

Kenwp
03-14-2016, 08:00 PM
You guys have no idea how lucky you are. No LAW 9 to contend with. No getting permission from the police or what ever they are called. No absurd gun clubs and rules. My first restricted buy was way back in the 70s in Alberta. Bought it from a CPS officer who was also the firearms officer for the city. He took my drivers license and brought me the gun home that night with my FAC attached. The next one he was registering guns at the Calgary gun show and vouched for me to pay with a cheque for a Baby Browning and told the guy to just give the thing to me. He gave me a piece of paper and I went home and took it Monday to the RCMP and registered it. I wish for the old days sometimes.

greywolf67nt
03-14-2016, 09:05 PM
Waiting on my first restricted purchase, ordered online March 1st. Called today March 14th to talk to the CFO and was told I didn't need to be put through to him as transfers usually take 10 business days or more. Wanted to make sure he got my range info last week. Seems like it's been months lol.

I guess living in the middle of nowhere is a blessing.
Pay for a restricted Sunday afternoon at the LGS. Call the CFO monday morning and tell them I am flying home to the NWT Tuesday AM and TADA transfer done before I get off the phone.
Have only ever gotten one pi$$y lady on the phone that told me I shouldn't be calling in to complete the transfer. I then asked who was going to pay for the shipping if I couldn't take it with me THEN she clued in I was 2.5 hour flight from home.

Jkerrsy
03-17-2016, 07:15 PM
Transfer went through on the 16th, she's in the mail now!

RobertMcC
03-17-2016, 07:29 PM
You guys have no idea how lucky you are. No LAW 9 to contend with. No getting permission from the police or what ever they are called. No absurd gun clubs and rules. My first restricted buy was way back in the 70s in Alberta. Bought it from a CPS officer who was also the firearms officer for the city. He took my drivers license and brought me the gun home that night with my FAC attached. The next one he was registering guns at the Calgary gun show and vouched for me to pay with a cheque for a Baby Browning and told the guy to just give the thing to me. He gave me a piece of paper and I went home and took it Monday to the RCMP and registered it. I wish for the old days sometimes.

How are we Lucky? Sounds like now worst than the old days where.

I live in NS, so everything old school. We have to be members of a gun club or no restricted transfers will be approved. No getting around it. I call to check on the transfers after 4 days because if I wait for the TAN that gets mailed to us, I be waiting week or 2 since I started the transfer. Than wait for firearm to shipped I normally will have the firearm for a week and half before I get the reg card from the CFC.

I once waited over a month for a transfer, than another 3 weeks later. CFO couldn't contact me to say the gun club I was a member of closed.

Arthwys
05-21-2016, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the thread folks. As a restricted is my next purchase it was nice to see the steps all laid out.

nlitend1
05-28-2016, 10:19 PM
My first restricted ordered last week.
Went to dealer, said I want that one.
They took photo copy of rpal and range license.
Said they would call when ready to pic up.
No pain no trouble.
I have a great dealer.
Del Selin in Vernon.