PDA

View Full Version : Introduction, looking to be a legal gun owner...

Jpnguyento
02-22-2016, 11:33 AM
Hi, I'm J.P. from Ontario. I'd always thought of myself as somewhat of a survivalist, in my definition of that, someone who wants to live and ensure that their family lives. Utilizing various survival techniques and just being prepared... Not afraid of getting dirty! Due to social decay, I'm really interested in learning to handle a firearm. I want to the ask the legal gun owners here some questions, would like your insight and opinions... Obviously you can see there is some reading... Would appreciate some insight though... Thanks!

1) How safe is it to to own and store a handgun in your home? The last thing I want is to unintentionally facilitate a crime when my gun is stolen by criminals... I recall reading on this gang in Scarborough, they had broken to this gun collectors home, and spent days cutting into the safe where the guns were stored. They left with a number of guns, some refiles were included. This new arsenal, according to the story gave the gang an upper hand and gun violence increased in Scarborough. My question is, do gun owners talk loudly in public about owning guns?? Can they be targeted coming home from the shooting range? It doesn't make sense to me how a legal gun owner, assumingly responsible be robbed by criminals who knew he/she owned a gun... Specifically how do young black men in a gang know who owns a gun, to rob the person of their gun(s)? Most legal gun owners as far I know are white Canadians, hunters and sports man/women... I don't see a connection with young black gang members... This is a partly where I'm paranoid about having a gun in my house, the last thing I want is for my family to be in danger unexpectedly, because somehow of no fault of my own someone knew I owned a gun... One of my theories is as such... The gun store owners or whomever sold you the legal gun, sold your personal information to criminals... I don't want offend any Gun Store owners, just trying to make sense of it, on how gun owners get robbed of their guns...

2) How safe is it to buy a handgun online? I buy things on Amazon and they literally just stuff the package in my mail box when I'm not home... I would imagine the gun purchase comes by Fedex or whatever, and needs to be signed for?? Does the person delivering the package knows what's inside maybe due to familiarity of the address of the sender?

3) C'mon I'm sure at least one person here has heard this before... Legal gun owners are targeted by the government (whose probably monitoring these kinds of forums)... Fact or fiction?...

Thank you!

FALover
02-22-2016, 11:41 AM
A simple hello would have sufficed.:confused1:

Read the rules. I think you are pushing #7.

welcome to the forums (kinda?)

Doug_M
02-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Welcome to GOC? First rule of fight club, don't talk about fight club.

awndray
02-22-2016, 11:59 AM
Hi

1) How safe is it to to own and store a handgun in your home?
2) How safe is it to buy a handgun online?
3) Legal gun owners are targeted by the government (whose probably monitoring these kinds of forums)... Fact or fiction?...

Hi.

1) It's as safe as you make it.

The last thing I want is to unintentionally facilitate a crime when my gun is stolen by criminals... I recall reading on this gang in Scarborough, they had broken to this gun collectors home, and spent days cutting into the safe where the guns were stored. They left with a number of guns, some refiles were included. This new arsenal, according to the story gave the gang an upper hand and gun violence increased in Scarborough. My question is, do gun owners talk loudly in public about owning guns?? Can they be targeted coming home from the shooting range? It doesn't make sense to me how a legal gun owner, assumingly responsible be robbed by criminals who knew he/she owned a gun... Specifically how do young black men in a gang know who owns a gun, to rob the person of their gun(s)? Most legal gun owners as far I know are white Canadians, hunters and sports man/women... I don't see a connection with young black gang members... This is a partly where I'm paranoid about having a gun in my house, the last thing I want is for my family to be in danger unexpectedly, because somehow of no fault of my own someone knew I owned a gun... One of my theories is as such... The gun store owners or whomever sold you the legal gun, sold your personal information to criminals... I don't want offend any Gun Store owners, just trying to make sense of it, on how gun owners get robbed of their guns...

First off, you mean IF, not when. Next, all those other questions and stories; slow down! You're trying to take on too much. Check the forums. You'll find the answers to your questions.

2) It's as safe as buying anything else online. If you would like to know the process, check the Newbie FAQ. There's a recent thread about it.

3) Targeted for what? Please elaborate.

You did the right thing by signing into Gun Owners of Canada. The next step is to find and instructor and take the course - http://www.fseso.org/ While you wait for your course, poke around the forums. Look up CCFR and check out Civil Advantage on YouTube.

Welcome.

Jpnguyento
02-22-2016, 12:17 PM
Hello to the above three members! Sorry I didn't want to create a thread in the general section as it just adds more weight... I figured saying hi and asking questions here would be better... My bad...

I think safe... So I think I will be a good gun owner... I just want to know how much safer I can be...

#7? Sorry... but what I said was statement of the facts... Didn't mean to coming close to violating #7... Didn't know of another way to make that statement...

No sir I won't talk about fight club... :)

Maybe I am going to fast but I want it as much insight as possible... To the above, targeted to be robbed of your legal gun... People report legal guns being stolen from their homes...

Sorry all I'll read some threads and search for the answers...

kennymo
02-22-2016, 12:19 PM
1) Don't be careless. Follow storage regulations and use common sense. Don't tell strangers on downtown street corners that you keep a bunch of guns at home. Sharing your hobby with your coworkers is acceptable, unless you work for a drug dealer or something.....

2) Packages containing firearms are always shipped signature required from retailers.

3) The government gun control bureaucracy was concocted specifically to be a pain in your rear end. If you don't believe me, look up some Allan Rock quotes, he was the guy who designed most of the system and flat out admitted, in public, that his new gun control scheme provided absolutely no element of public safety. It was strictly to discourage people from legally owning firearms.

Zinilin
02-22-2016, 01:24 PM
When storing anything of value, including firearms never forget:

Found equals Open

The contents of bank vaults are not secured by concrete and steel, they are secured by the armed response of the police.

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?20459-Hidy-Holes-vs-Safes

mavrik9
02-22-2016, 01:25 PM
Welcome to GOC

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Jpnguyento
02-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Kennymo, Thank you sir for you input. Having common sense is obviously important as some owners lack it... of course one can only worry about themselves and not the business of others... In the future if I purchase a hand gun it will be online for sure... Allan Rock? Don't know him but sounds like I should read on him and his system... Will have a deeper insight of the laws in Canada... Thank you sir!

Jpnguyento
02-22-2016, 02:17 PM
Zimilin, Hi. Makes sense... I'm wondering now where to hide a hand gun that's kept in a storage box... Will read your link... Thanks!

Jpnguyento
02-22-2016, 02:19 PM
Welcome to GOC
Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Hello thank you, hope all is well!

DanN
02-22-2016, 02:43 PM
There are FAR easier ways to figure out who owns guns than buying off a gun store owner. Lots of people advertise it outright:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/020/0/8894209/il_340x270.537487951_qblc.jpg
Ever seen one of these?

Or, you know.. you could join a gun club. Good chance you'll meet people who own guns there.

But why be paranoid? Just be smart.

1) Get a decent safe, and keep it locked at all times.
2) Don't put your safe somewhere obvious.. like in your bedroom closet. Hide it. Security by obscurity.
3) Don't brag to every Tom, Dick and Harry you meet about the wicked-cool survival arsenal you have.
4) Keep your house locked. Own a dog. Get a home security system.

6MT
02-22-2016, 04:17 PM
Hello J.P.!

Jpnguyento
02-22-2016, 06:32 PM
There are FAR easier ways to figure out who owns guns than buying off a gun store owner. Lots of people advertise it outright:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/020/0/8894209/il_340x270.537487951_qblc.jpg
Ever seen one of these?

Or, you know.. you could join a gun club. Good chance you'll meet people who own guns there.

But why be paranoid? Just be smart.

1) Get a decent safe, and keep it locked at all times.
2) Don't put your safe somewhere obvious.. like in your bedroom closet. Hide it. Security by obscurity.
3) Don't brag to every Tom, Dick and Harry you meet about the wicked-cool survival arsenal you have.
4) Keep your house locked. Own a dog. Get a home security system.

It seems like it's easier to own a gun if you don't live in a major city... Yes sir safety first if I shall own one, away it goes in a safe and hidden in clever place... But in all honestly criminals are smarter these days, as there are YouTube videos that shows people the best places to hide a gun... I don't talk about fight club sir... House will be locked but wife won't let me own a dog... Home security can work though lol... Cheers!

kodiakken
02-22-2016, 06:39 PM
Howdy from Central Alberta.

Billythreefeathers
02-22-2016, 06:40 PM
Zimilin, Hi. Makes sense... I'm wondering now where to hide a hand gun that's kept in a storage box... Will read your link... Thanks!

my storage box is bolting / lagged to a concrete floor and wall studs,, in a secure locked closet.. none of my guns are hidden,, to easy for children to find ,, always stored safely

And Welcome,,

Rory McCanuck
02-22-2016, 08:35 PM
There are FAR easier ways to figure out who owns guns than buying off a gun store owner...
Well, at least the government doesn't keep a shopping list of who has what for non-restricted firearms anymore.
Or, at least officially.

awndray
02-22-2016, 10:50 PM
It seems like it's easier to own a gun if you don't live in a major city...

How so?

TacticalCanuck
02-23-2016, 06:27 AM
Hi there,

You seem quite nervous and a little skittish on legally owning a firearm. Until you find a way to be comfortable with the idea I would avoid owning one.

Steps you need to take:

1) Take a registered firearms safety course and be sure you understand all the rules regulations and legislation

2) while you are waiting for the few months it takes for the government to process all the paperwork, buy and install a quality safe in your home. Make it as big as you can afford. Guns are like potatoe chips, you cant have just one.

3) take all the classes you can at the club you join regarding safe handling and storage. Ask questions.

4) dont refer to yourself as a survivalist. I am good with it I get it - beans bandaids and bullets - but this type of thinking is currently taboo and in the US it will get you on the "no fly" list faster than you can curse a KSG for not loading properly. Keep those thoughts and ideas to those who share them with you. Instead, openly talk about bushcrafting, homesteading and wilderness emergency preparedness. We know what you really mean. Plus, survivalists are discredited all the time as being paranoid and conspiracy theorists. While we know the government lies to us on a daily basis wait until you get your hall pass before you spout off on it.

5) just relax. There are millions of gun owners in Canada. When you look at the real stats its safer than being a liscenced automobile driver. And if you keep your love of your hobby to friends you can trust i would imagine it isnt something to worry to hard on.

RobertMcC
02-23-2016, 06:34 AM
As safe as you want to make it.

I got 3 locked doors, not including the front door that you need to get thru in order to grab my firearms. Also a CCV camera outside my front door.

I'm not paranoid I just don't live in the most trustworthy area.

labradort
02-23-2016, 07:29 AM
In Canada, you can't just buy a hand gun and store it at home. You need to do your restricted PAL, which involves references and background checks. I believe you also must belong to a range. There is no other place you can use a hand gun peacefully, so this is required. Some ranges in the GTO area are very picky about who can join, from what relatives have told me.

You're right that you want to avoid advertising gun ownership. Use a moniker on forums, never your real name. Personally, I would avoid ordering a firearm online if there was a store option I could drive to. I once ordered some 22 ammunition which came in a square box from Cabelas via UPS. I found a 4 inch gash along the box edge, and there was a sticker from the store with something like "dangerous goods" on it. The UPS guy might get some payment to tell someone where he has delivered guns or ammo. Some people might think that is too paranoid, but why wouldn't criminals pursue a great source of information like that in the city?

It's really no different than the security of anything valuable. I travelled in Europe when I was young wearing a sweatshirt and green work pants. Another Canadian from the hostel arrives at the restaurant 5 minutes after me, having travelled through the same alley, and was mugged. He was wearing a straw hat and rock band T-shirt, standing out like someone on vacation. I carried my 35mm camera in an old vintage pack sack, wrapped in a sweater, not a camera bag labelled Pentax or whatever. You can do something similar. Taking the restricted firearm to the range can be made more obscure by placing the locked case inside a reusable shopping bag or something else that doesn't attract attention. Don't put firearm related stickers on your car, don't wear tactical gear, etc., and you won't get any attention.

tdod101
02-25-2016, 07:03 AM
Everything you need to know is at the RCMP firearms website. Get your licence first and take the safety courses. You will learn alot. My advice is to stay away from gun politics untill you have a few years of gun ownership under your belt. You'll drive your self crazy with our stupid laws. Learn to enjoy shooting first and follow the rules.

Jpnguyento
03-01-2016, 12:56 PM
my storage box is bolting / lagged to a concrete floor and wall studs,, in a secure locked closet.. none of my guns are hidden,, to easy for children to find ,, always stored safely

And Welcome,,

Perhaps in my situation, I'm the only person who knows about the storage of a firearm in my home. Safety measures will be taken, storage, gun lock, etc. hiding it... then hiding from my family is the greatest task... My opinion has always been better to have and not need, then need and not have ready to go... My family don't share my opinions, and so you can understand why if I owned a firearm, it can't be in the open...

awndray
03-01-2016, 01:04 PM
and so you can understand why if I owned a firearm, it can't be in the open...

No. No. And no. Bad idea.

Jpnguyento
03-01-2016, 01:25 PM
Hi there,

You seem quite nervous and a little skittish on legally owning a firearm. Until you find a way to be comfortable with the idea I would avoid owning one.

Steps you need to take:

1) Take a registered firearms safety course and be sure you understand all the rules regulations and legislation

2) while you are waiting for the few months it takes for the government to process all the paperwork, buy and install a quality safe in your home. Make it as big as you can afford. Guns are like potatoe chips, you cant have just one.

3) take all the classes you can at the club you join regarding safe handling and storage. Ask questions.

4) dont refer to yourself as a survivalist. I am good with it I get it - beans bandaids and bullets - but this type of thinking is currently taboo and in the US it will get you on the "no fly" list faster than you can curse a KSG for not loading properly. Keep those thoughts and ideas to those who share them with you. Instead, openly talk about bushcrafting, homesteading and wilderness emergency preparedness. We know what you really mean. Plus, survivalists are discredited all the time as being paranoid and conspiracy theorists. While we know the government lies to us on a daily basis wait until you get your hall pass before you spout off on it.

5) just relax. There are millions of gun owners in Canada. When you look at the real stats its safer than being a liscenced automobile driver. And if you keep your love of your hobby to friends you can trust i would imagine it isnt something to worry to hard on.

Hello you are correct, I am a little nervous about owning one if ever. The issues are never about me personally, but rather it concerns love ones. I didn't grow up around guns, seen illegal guns before, had one pointed at me by this thug... It's seems I'm paranoid yes... but it's more so because I want to hear opinions and view the different angles and scenarios of owning a gun. I ask specific questions looking for answers, if it makes sense to me it's knowledge I've obtain...

1) I'm looking into it, I believe the firearms safety course it's about 8-10 hrs then a test I think? Got to look at the link again.

2) if I own one, it will only be one...

3) if I own one I will take every measure to keep it safe, and learn all I can to handle it, and to be a competent owner

4) I think I said I'm somewhat of a survivalist... But anyways what I meant is I enjoy the outdoors, camping, and fishing, getting dirty... As you know... Yes it's taboo that guns and survivalists in places like US goes hand in hand, painted negatively as anti government I'm sure... That's a whole different subject matter brother... Lol

Thank you for your input.

RobertMcC
03-01-2016, 01:54 PM
If your trying to hide it from your family. You might as well not have them because you wont be able to.

If they find out it, It be worst than telling them.

Jpnguyento
03-01-2016, 02:39 PM
In Canada, you can't just buy a hand gun and store it at home. You need to do your restricted PAL, which involves references and background checks. I believe you also must belong to a range. There is no other place you can use a hand gun peacefully, so this is required. Some ranges in the GTO area are very picky about who can join, from what relatives have told me.

You're right that you want to avoid advertising gun ownership. Use a moniker on forums, never your real name. Personally, I would avoid ordering a firearm online if there was a store option I could drive to. I once ordered some 22 ammunition which came in a square box from Cabelas via UPS. I found a 4 inch gash along the box edge, and there was a sticker from the store with something like "dangerous goods" on it. The UPS guy might get some payment to tell someone where he has delivered guns or ammo. Some people might think that is too paranoid, but why wouldn't criminals pursue a great source of information like that in the city?

It's really no different than the security of anything valuable. I travelled in Europe when I was young wearing a sweatshirt and green work pants. Another Canadian from the hostel arrives at the restaurant 5 minutes after me, having travelled through the same alley, and was mugged. He was wearing a straw hat and rock band T-shirt, standing out like someone on vacation. I carried my 35mm camera in an old vintage pack sack, wrapped in a sweater, not a camera bag labelled Pentax or whatever. You can do something similar. Taking the restricted firearm to the range can be made more obscure by placing the locked case inside a reusable shopping bag or something else that doesn't attract attention. Don't put firearm related stickers on your car, don't wear tactical gear, etc., and you won't get any attention.

In the US, I hear about Walmart selling guns... Pick up some clothes, groceries... And oh yeah and a Glock while I'm there... I've seen videos, properganda perhaps... of legal gun dealers selling guns and ammo at shows, without asking for proper identification... Buying a gun altogether is a lot easier as its more obtainable, it being their second ammendment and all... I don't know the statistics of how many Gun owners there are in Ontario... But I would imagine if the ranges are tight on who can join, it would make sense that one would have to prove they can handle it... I suppose that one can't just store A gun in house indefinitely, without having to take it to a range and actually put it to use...

As I stated I may sound paranoid but with good reason... I know from growing up, that there are really bad folks out there... non law abiding, greedy... Evil.. I've seen it... So when it comes to safety, in my perspective I need to know and cover all aspects of the possibility of danger... Liberal mentality doesn't work for me, that's a different subject altogether...

You sound like a street educated person brother... Cheers...

Jpnguyento
03-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Thanks friends for all the wonderful advice and input... I'll stop here as this thread was intended for people to introduce themselves... As such... Hi I'm J.P. from Ontario, really interested in being a gun owner but in truth weighing pros and cons of ownership... Taking the small steps of educating myself in the laws and obligations of an owner... I don't want to be just some random guy saying "Guns are cool... I want one!"... I want it to be done right and learn first.... Cheers all!

RobertMcC
03-01-2016, 02:50 PM
In the US, I hear about Walmart selling guns... Pick up some clothes, groceries... And oh yeah and a Glock while I'm there... I've seen videos, properganda perhaps... of legal gun dealers selling guns and ammo at shows, without asking for proper identification... Buying a gun altogether is a lot easier as its more obtainable, it being their second ammendment and all... I don't know the statistics of how many Gun owners there are in Ontario... But I would imagine if the ranges are tight on who can join, it would make sense that one would have to prove they can handle it... I suppose that one can't just store A gun in house indefinitely, without having to take it to a range and actually put it to use...

As I stated I may sound paranoid but with good reason... I know from growing up, that there are really bad folks out there... non law abiding, greedy... Evil.. I've seen it... So when it comes to safety, in my perspective I need to know and cover all aspects of the possibility of danger... Liberal mentality doesn't work for me, that's a different subject altogether...

You sound like a street educated person brother... Cheers...

This ain't the US. I live in the ghetto ( well low income and many cultures ) And I secure them solid within the law and more and that's it. I do my part to hide them or let my neighbors know. The way your going it sounds like your up to no good or expecting black choppers to hover over and men in black repel down to get you.

Thanks friends for all the wonderful advice and input... I'll stop here as this thread was intended for people to introduce themselves... As such... Hi I'm J.P. from Ontario, really interested in being a gun owner but in truth weighing pros and cons of ownership... Taking the small steps of educating myself in the laws and obligations of an owner... I don't want to be just some random guy saying "Guns are cool... I want one!"... I want it to be done right and learn first.... Cheers all!

Be less paranoid. Educate yourself on Canada laws not US. Why worry about stuff that doesn't matter because doesn't effect you. Its not that hard to be a firearm owner and nothing you should be ashamed to hide. I just hide because where I live.

Swampdonkey
03-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Welcome to GOC.

Good introduction. Way better than "Hi, I'm new here". You actually said something about yourself, which means reading it wasn't a waste of time.

This place is new and growing, lots of learning going on. Thanks for joining, please be active and honest.

SeirX
04-15-2016, 10:01 PM
@Labradort - Ontario appears to be the only province [from my research] where you don't need to belong to a club in order to acquire handguns / restricted weaponry.

@Jpnguyento - there are banks [notably in Michigan] that use promotions of giving you a shotgun for opening an account with X-amount of a deposit. Making a trip with a pal, we stopped at a Walmart up in the Sault, and plain as day there was a .22 version of the AR-15.

In response to your #2 Q.... I ordered a few hundred rounds of ammo from [redacted] and both of our paperwork declared a signature being required.
This box could be easily hidden in a backpack, lunchpail or even ripped open and the contents stuffed into pockets.

I mostly work from home and never heard so much as a knock on my door. What got me up was hearing the outside hallway door open and slam shut twice without the general noise people make, and lo and behold, there was my package, left out in the open on the doorstep.
The devil in me wanted to wait a few weeks, then ask about my order, because I hadn't signed for anything, and there was no knock on my door or anything.
But that ain't smart, and afterall, it ain't the company's fault the courier didn't follow instructions.
So what's the take-away here?
Make sure the company uses a good courier, get tracking numbers, make sure they need a signature...and then hope the person delivering it can follow instructions.

TheHydrant
04-16-2016, 07:07 AM
I remember hearing from an American preparedness instructor that the best place to hide a gun is a childs room because a parent will always run to the childs room first to make sure they are safe. While I completely understand that reasoning, for the love of God please don't consider storing guns in a kids room.
As others have mentioned don't broadcast your 🔫's. It can be hard not to when you are genuinely proud of it and excited about it. But you will find that gun owners have to be a bit more choosey about who their friends are.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

JustBen
04-16-2016, 02:04 PM
Welcome to the forum.

If your first concern is about using a gun to protect yourself and you need to keep it hidden, maybe you don't really need a gun. Guns aren't something to be embarrassed about owning.