PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11/111 Hunter XP in 30-06

dril1992
07-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Hey guys I was wondering what you would suggest for ammo for this particular gun. I understand that different ammo often behaves differently in guns, and was wondering what weights and ammo types you might suggest for target practice and general hunting?
Something to give me a starting point anyway please?

Drache
07-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Hey guys I was wondering what you would suggest for ammo for this particular gun. I understand that different ammo often behaves differently in guns, and was wondering what weights and ammo types you might suggest for target practice and general hunting?
Something to give me a starting point anyway please?

I'd go a little on the heavy side for the 1 in 10 twist. At 100 yards even the cheap ammo will do you good, but past that you'll want something good. Federal Gold Medal ammo is one of the best and most easily found and accurate factory loads. Should run you about $40 a box. It comes in at 168 grains. Should be just what you need.

You can go heavy with other brands but you sacrifice a lot of distance when you start doing that. Besides nothing beats Federal Gold Medal as far as I'm concerned.

JustBen
07-22-2012, 09:40 PM
The Gold Medal ammo is one of the best options for accuracy, but the Sierra Matchking bullets aren't the best option available for hunting. Yes they will still kill animals, and if you can make shot placement count, it's not a big deal.

For the amount of ammo you'll go through in a year hunting, spend some bucks and buy a couple of boxes of the good stuff. Save your brass - you can reload it in the future, or sell it.

I like Nosler or Barnes bullets - I've never been disappointed. In your application 165 to 180 grains are idea for pretty much everything. Federal Fusion is a good balance of price and performance.

When I get a new rifle, I like to buy 3 or 4 boxes of different ammo and try them all out. I save the brass for working up a load in the future once I know what weights and loads the gun likes.

westislandrifle
07-23-2012, 09:11 AM
try some white box winchester , some blue box federal some hornady match or super match ,federal gold medal lapua and norma find what works nice i spent a whole day and about 160$ to find the hornady super match worked best, and remington suck the big one

Heiner39
09-16-2012, 09:59 AM
I shoot 150 grain Hornady SST or Interbonds out of my Savage 116 30-06. By far the most accurate factory round I have tried in my gun