PDA

View Full Version : Dropping shots

bo_jarrett
03-20-2016, 01:08 PM
When my dad passed away years ago I inherited his Browning 7mm Rem Mag semi-auto. He bought it in the late 70s or early 80s and used it a fair bit. It basically sat from 94 till now. I put a few rounds through it at 25yds and hits about 2 feet low. Move to 40 and it drops 4 feet. I cleaned it and looked down the barrel with a LED bore light and can't see any internal damage. Any suggestions what might be causing the issue?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

lone-wolf
03-20-2016, 01:16 PM
If it's scoped, the scope might be buggered or no longer zeroed from sitting so long.
If the ammo is from the late 70s, maybe the powder has degraded.

Or a combo of the two.

bo_jarrett
03-20-2016, 01:18 PM
If it's scoped, the scope might be buggered or no longer zeroed from sitting so long.
If the ammo is from the late 70s, maybe the powder has degraded.

Or a combo of the two.
Suspected the scope so I pulled it. Tried a fresh box of ammo.

lone-wolf
03-20-2016, 01:30 PM
That amount of drop, in a calibre that should be flat in that distance.
I will still guess scope. Mounted loose. Or parallax issue maybe. Unless your barrel is loose to the receiver, I can't see how it could be anything else.
Some members here have a BAR(paging blacksmithden...), they will chime in, maybe they know something of the rifle that I don't.

... are the bullets keyholing by any chance?

bo_jarrett
03-20-2016, 01:42 PM
Took the scope off and went open sights when I was getting the drop. No keyhole nice clean impact. Barrel appears to be straight and nothings loose

Rory McCanuck
03-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Did you try it with the scope and it hit 2 feet low, too?
The centre section of the rear sight is adjustable for height, is it possible that in 20+ years of sitting that it got hit by something and pushed down?

Kenwp
03-20-2016, 04:35 PM
If it groups it's not the barrel so has to be the sights. if it has a shotgun pattern then it's my old Lee Enfield in disguise.

bo_jarrett
03-20-2016, 04:56 PM
Did you try it with the scope and it hit 2 feet low, too?
The centre section of the rear sight is adjustable for height, is it possible that in 20+ years of sitting that it got hit by something and pushed down?
I played with that rear sight and it moved the group up and down accordingly. Had the same issue with the scope with it dropping so I pulled it off to ensure it was the rifle not the optics

Justice
03-22-2016, 11:22 AM
What rifle exactly? BAR what? Stock screws tight?
What experience do you have with a 7mm Mag? How were you shooting it?