PDA

View Full Version : Scope for Marlin 336 30/30

NSHunter
05-25-2016, 05:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new posting to this site but have always searched around here for information. I'm looking for some advice. I have a Marlin 336 30/30 that I use mainly for deer hunting. Here in NS the longest shot I've made was about 90 meters or approx. 100 yards because of the density of the woods. This past season I've found it difficult to make out the iron sites against my target in the early mornings/low light conditions. So onto my question, I'm looking for a scope or red dot sight or something to make things easier for me. I'm not much of a deer stand kind of guy and have always been lucky with my baiting areas so I would be looking for something that's a quick focus when brought to the shoulder fast.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks so much.

blacksmithden
05-25-2016, 07:13 PM
From a fellow up close blind guy, I'd highly recommend looking into getting a rear peep sight. I believe Williams makes a nice one for that gun. It should be available by mail order from Western Gun Parts in Edmonton.

kennymo
05-25-2016, 07:24 PM
I have a 2-7x Bushnell Elite on my 35 Whelen that seems good for up close work. Maybe a 1-4x for the nice, wide field of view? It's kind of nice having that nice low magnification setting but being able to dial it up a bit should a long shot present itself.....

Rory McCanuck
05-25-2016, 09:33 PM
There are a few ways to go.
I enjoy having a peep sight on a levergun, as it allows you to carry it easily.
A few years ago, I waited for a doe to come across the field at dusk, and by the time she was close enough, the brass bead front sight just disappeared.
I now have a William's Fire Sight up front.
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/rifle.htm
It is a truly wonderful thing. Even dark bush, bring the rifle up, put the big red dot on target, bang, deer sammich.

We just put a Bushnell red dot sight on my buddy's new Mossberg slug gun.
That is another wonderful combination, as the red dot is battery powered and will show up no matter how dark it is.
So long as the batteries don't die.
It bugs me to admit it, but I think I might even like the sight picture with the red dot better than the peep/fire sight.

I have a cheap Bushnell 1.5-4.5X on one rifle that was out in the bush with me last deer season.
It was dark, dreary, rainy miserable weather here for most of the season, but even at dusk I had no problem picking things out with the crosshairs.
Spend the extra $30 and get the Blizzard see throught scope covers.
Nothing worse than sitting there waiting for a shot for hours and then when one shows up, you can't see it because the lens is covered in sleet.

The low powered scope is a nice compromise, at 1.5 power it really isn't any different than open sights, if anything maybe a touch brighter.
Cranked up to 4.5 power, I'd have no qualms about taking a 250 yard shot, as that is plenty of magnification for a deer sized vital area.

Hope that muddied up the waters a bit for you ;D

Planetmail
06-01-2016, 07:55 AM
.......... It should be available by mail order from Western Gun Parts in Edmonton.

Thanks for the information. Didn't know such a place existed.

Edward Teach
06-27-2016, 12:13 AM
From a fellow up close blind guy, I'd highly recommend looking into getting a rear peep sight. I believe Williams makes a nice one for that gun. It should be available by mail order from Western Gun Parts in Edmonton.

Williams FP sights can be ordered from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/foolproof-tk-receiver-sights-prod27350.aspx?avs|Make_3=Marlin

Newbgunner
11-25-2016, 05:23 PM
I use a Bushnell banner 2.5x on my 336c .35 rem.They are a perfect fit for what these guns are made for. Close to medium range.
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o516/baseman11/Marlin%20Model%20336%2035REM_1_zpsfxanoofh.jpg (http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/baseman11/media/Marlin%20Model%20336%2035REM_1_zpsfxanoofh.jpg.htm l)

CLW .45
11-25-2016, 10:19 PM
If seeing the sight, rather than seeing the game, is your issue I heartily recommend any quality red dot. I have a numbe of Bushnells and an Aimpoint.

For my purposes, the battery life of the Aimpoint is worth the extra cash on my Scout.

But, the Bushnells have been great on everything else.

lone-wolf
11-25-2016, 10:23 PM
I hunt in NS, I use a leupold 3-9x vx1 on my 308, my father's 30-30 which I also used is fitted with see through rings and a old tasco fixed 4x scope